altText

Granny house conversion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

Granny house conversion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 8:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi Guys

Below is the little granny house we were going to knock down and put a new build on there but if we do that, the mayor says we still have to go though the planning permission however, we can renovate the existing building and add a second floor s this property is on the skitxa. So here is the building my question is at each end of the house there is about a meter of concrete - could we extend the wall or even one wall to that so we can get the jeep in from the front rather that the side.

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 11:26 am

Problems trying to find a JCB here in Silistra the cooperation has one but it is out till mid July - George the builder went to fiind one yesterday and foudnd one that would come today at 65lev an hour. George and the JCB driver came to look at what work needs doing - I told him clear the gound (see the 1st photo) a good driver would do that in an hour but here possibly 2 hours. Driver said 3 hours max. He than told me a loader to take the rubbish away will cost 200lev told him no thanks we will bury it and build a patio.... The builder did not say anything, now that worries me as he should be looking out for us - I recon I will have to be gaffer myself Granny house conversion - Page 2 794030042 It is now 1.30 and still no JCB another day on but no work. Granny house conversion - Page 2 794030042
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Well there is a surprise ' no JCB' they said tomorrow - we will see Granny house conversion - Page 2 794030042
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 4:29 pm

Where's Dougie going to live now Granny house conversion - Page 2 1865348797
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 9:38 am

:Granny house conversion - Page 2 3897195628: :Granny house conversion - Page 2 3897195628: :Granny house conversion - Page 2 3897195628: We have the builders in slowly they are getting there - but I don't know how much the builder is charging me yet I have asked him but he said he is working it out. He gets the idea now I don't like parting with money as I argue everything with him. The transport for 12 trips to and from Silistra 18km each way with materials cost me 400lev he knows I am not happy with that but says nothing they can do. 7 pallets of brick delivered in the last few days and 60 of the brick were broken again not happy with that. That works out to be a quarter of a pallet - the shop said it is not their fault as this is how they were delivered from the manufacture. I am getting weary now :Granny house conversion - Page 2 3897195628:
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 10:17 am

oddball wrote:
Granny house conversion - Page 2 3897195628 :Granny house conversion - Page 2 3897195628: :Granny house conversion - Page 2 3897195628: We have the builders in slowly they are getting there - but I don't know how much the builder is charging me yet I have asked him but he said he is working it out. He gets the idea now I don't like parting with money as I argue everything with him. The transport for 12 trips to and from Silistra 18km each way with materials cost me 400lev he knows I am not happy with that but says nothing they can do. 7 pallets of brick delivered in the last few days and 60 of the brick were broken again not happy with that. That works out to be a quarter of a pallet - the shop said it is not their fault as this is how they were delivered from the manufacture. I am getting weary now :Granny house conversion - Page 2 3897195628:

Poor you Berni - bricks will always get broken and so extras are required on any job just in case of breakages. I hunted around for a while to get five tons of sand to our property and although the sand is cheap at seven Leva a ton the transport costs were horrendous. I was quoted 90 Leva for a 12K distance to our house by one company and in the end paid 45 Leva for transporting five tons from 10K away from us. So your costs are not too bad if the truck was filled pretty well at 33 Leva a trip, a bargain!

c c
Back to top Go down
BGIan
Junior user
Junior user
BGIan

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 10:15 pm

Quote :
but I don't know how much the builder is charging me yet I have asked him but he said he is working it out.

I think it would be wise to agree a price before the builder starts any work.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 10:35 pm

BGIan wrote:
Quote :
but I don't know how much the builder is charging me yet I have asked him but he said he is working it out.

I think it would be wise to agree a price before the builder starts any work.

He started work already done about 26 hours already but still not told me the if it's daily or hourly rates I will ask agian tomorrow.

We are at this stage now bout to lay the concrete
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 11:27 am

We had heavy rain on Thursday night grounds too soft fr the lorry to come onto so builder rang to say no work untll Monday. Grounds still wet een though no rain yesterday or today hopeully it will stay that way.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 6:47 am

Oh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a little problem today

Go a little problem today the builder and his men turned up today but one of the men brough a 7 year old child with him on site. I am not happy about this as it can be dangerous. I told them this but they said no problem - i was quite adiment there would be a problem and they need to get it sorted, she has to go. Anythiing can happen.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 8:10 am

I have been asked ' Could you not amuse the child whilst they are working'

I replied Yes indeed I could but then what about tomorrow and the next day!! I have my own jobs to do too. Child has gone now so has the father hence down one worker. No doubt he will make arrangements for childcare this afternoon and the rest o the week if he wants to work.. We have to bend some rules like no hard hats and such like but t a child on a building site is certainly not one of them. Builder knows exactly where I stand now. g

Just watched how they lay bricks there is nothing between the bricks only secured at the front and end - Not sure about this
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 6:50 am

Hi Berni
Children on work sites.... the norm up here!!! they did small tasks for their father, was told they are learning to work to earn pocket money?? do not think Health safety is a concern for them!!!
As for the bricks? I am no builder, but if this is a two storey build, should there not be concrete upright colums at each corner to key into? or at least steel upright rebar? or are they infilling the laid bricks with cement to reinforce the walls? Have you seen anything these builders have built? who drew up the plans for the build?

Bill
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 7:37 am

bulgariabill wrote:
Hi Berni
Children on work sites.... the norm up here!!! they did small tasks for their father, was told they are learning to work to earn pocket money?? do not think Health safety is a concern for them!!!
As for the bricks? I am no builder, but if this is a two storey build, should there not be concrete upright colums at each corner to key into? or at least steel upright rebar? or are they infilling the laid bricks with cement to reinforce the walls? Have you seen anything these builders have built? who drew up the plans for the build?

Bill

What plans Granny house conversion - Page 2 1865348797
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 9:00 am

oddball wrote:
Just watched how they lay bricks there is nothing between the bricks only secured at the front and end - Not sure about this

Dear me Berni - seems like a nightmare, hope you can sleep at night and not think of those bricks falling down in the wind and rain!

How they do things here is a mystery to most of us I am afraid, how glass ever stays in their windows I will never know, putty is used when the properties are first built, together with panel pins to hold the glass in. But after a few years the putty falls out and you can hear the windows rattling all over the village on a windy day!! Paint nula, maintenance nula!! But the houses are still standing there, goodness knows how!?!? Hope your house is still standing as we speak!

s s s s s
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm

I asked George why they are not putting cement between the brick like we do in UK. They lay a layer of cemnet than lay the brick but no cement between the bricks - this apprear to be the English way of bricking, not Bulgarian way. The bricks are safe and here will be insulation and rendering. Bill yes there are 8 concerte columes going in. The second floor will have a concrete floor too with a massive beam in the middle. I will take photos as they do it. They do thing very diferent here and we have to go with their way of working. George seems to know what he is doing, he built the co operations new depot it is fab we were all invitied to the opening and a huge BBQ a few weeks ago. I ask him all sorts of questions and he checks everythng with me first, which is good. Alerning curbe to Bulgarian ways.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 4:27 pm

here is where we are today. The septic is in the water has been connected and now there are about 5 lines of bricks laid. The metal boulders are ready so will be going in over the next few days and then the concret will be pourned in. Comiing along nicely now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Granny house conversion   Granny house conversion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Granny house conversion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next