View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

This Rat business is becoming expensive Empty
PostSubject: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 4:06 pm

Two years ago our renovation builder placed plasterboard on most of our walls to hide the run of the new electrics and the central heating system. Unfortunately rats keep getting behind it all and run about and generally make a noise and start upsetting our dogs who go mad when they hear them. So off to the DIY store and I come back with a rat trap which is duly installed in the utility room where we know they appear, next day the bait had gone and so had the rat trap, can't find it anywhere! So with this in mind I trundled off to the DIY store once again and bought some rat poison pellets which I put in a Tuppeware dish and guess what . . . they stole the Tupperware dish!!!

What next I ask myself?

This Rat business is becoming expensive 794030042 This Rat business is becoming expensive 794030042 This Rat business is becoming expensive 794030042
Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Try putting something heavy to hold it down and see what happens? it may not be RATS.
Back to top Go down
stigofthedump
Senior user
Senior user
stigofthedump

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Can't see that Rats are taking these things? perhaps its some other animal ?
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 4:16 pm

stigofthedump wrote:
Can't see that Rats are taking these things? perhaps its some other animal ?

Like what? Any suggestions??
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Maybe the 2 legged type This Rat business is becoming expensive 2381841692
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 4:52 pm

The biggest problem with using poison is that the rats are inclined to die in the gaps you are trying to get rid of them from. We found this out the smelly way, my those small bodies stink when decomposing! We don't use it now, just traps which are in constant use over the kitchen as there is just open loft space at the moment.

Sara
Back to top Go down
LisA
Super user
Super user
LisA

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Try and get one of these then you will know what it is?

Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 5:57 pm

I had that same problem for a while..fixed the trap with a length of wire to a pipe....and caught a cat! Poison works, but as previously mentioned, the stink is worse than the original problem!
Back to top Go down
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 7:12 pm

back home on the Isle Of Man, I had a similar problem and in my case it was a RAT,
I did a lot of research on this and found wire wool in the gapes where they can get in but please check if they have gone, then squirt expanding foam in the wire wool is something that they do not like on their teeth and that should fix the problem also keeping the doors shut.

Sorry to hear of your sad loss as we all no how hard it is to get tupperware
Back to top Go down
http://www.askbuck.com/.
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 11:39 pm

paddy wrote:
back home on the Isle Of Man, I had a similar problem and in my case it was a RAT,
I did a lot of research on this and found wire wool in the gapes where they can get in but please check if they have gone, then squirt expanding foam in the wire wool is something that they do not like on their teeth and that should fix the problem also keeping the doors shut.

Sorry to hear of your sad loss as we all no how hard it is to get tupperware

Yes, it is a sad loss and nowhere here to get Tupperware.
Back to top Go down
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 8:41 pm

If everything goes to plan I will be in Sofia on the 4th March 14 I can try and get you sum just let me know.

just remember if you have any Tupperware left don't give it to the Rats (we call them long tails here) they are just like neighbours they don't give the Tupperware back either.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 11:57 am

The scurrying behind the plasterboard seems to have come to a stop and so we assume that all is well with our supposed rat population around the house. Of course as many of you have said a dead or ex rat lying dead behind the plasterboard can give some awful odours in the Summer. A friend told us yesterday that Praktiker sell a plug in that gives off a nasty signal to rats that is inaudible to humans and dogs, but sends the rats running for cover somewhere else in the world. Has anyone any experience of using these and are they a good buy, Praktiker price is 40Leva, so not cheap, but if effective, well worth the cost.
Back to top Go down
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 12:46 pm

i have had the miss fortune to use then in the past what ive seen of them is they do work ish, if they recommend 1 put 2 in and so on but some of the systems about run on the plug system and use the wire around the house as a fence, the problem you might have is if the plugs are not on the same circuit the unit might not work, it would be better for you to check that first but also will be cheaper in the long run to find out where they are getting in.
if its of use a friend of mine said do you know why their is a step/shelve on a barn going all the way around the barn, i said no being a townie, and he said its because the farmer dont want the rats eating the grain or spuds in the barn so they build this ledge of around a foot out and about 2 foot above the ground all the way around the barn. best of luck.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 4:49 pm

paddy wrote:
i have had the miss fortune to use then in the past what ive seen of them is they do work ish, if they recommend 1 put 2 in and so on but some of the systems about run on the plug system and use the wire around the house as a fence, the problem you might have is if the plugs are not on the same circuit the unit might not work, it would be better for you to check that first but also will be cheaper in the long run to find out where they are getting in.
if its of use a friend of mine said do you know why their is a step/shelve on a barn going all the way around the barn, i said no being a townie, and he said its because the farmer dont want the rats eating the grain or spuds in the barn so they build this ledge of around a foot out and about 2 foot above the ground all the way around the barn. best of luck.

Many thanks Paddy - This Rat business is becoming expensive 3356871870 This Rat business is becoming expensive 1536469901 This Rat business is becoming expensive 1536469901
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 12:22 pm

So far our rats have stolen a Tupperware dish, a ceramic dish, a complete rat trap and now the sticky thing that is supposed to glue their feet to the floor has gone as well. No sign of the rat of course!! Last night I placed a normal rat trap and a rat cage in our barn where there was plenty of evidence that they have been playing in an attempt to catch the rat alive and release into the wild or into our dog Ayla's jaws, whichever comes first and guess what . . . this morning I inspected both rat traps and both pieces of bait had gone, the cage door was closed and no sign of ratty. Very frustrating, they are obviously much brighter than the UK rats that get caught in whatever trap you put out for them.

This Rat business is becoming expensive 794030042 This Rat business is becoming expensive 794030042 This Rat business is becoming expensive 794030042
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This Rat business is becoming expensive   This Rat business is becoming expensive Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This Rat business is becoming expensive

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next