altText
altText

My garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
justbazz1

My garden - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 11:11 am

First topic message reminder :

..grows a bit like this.

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 7:27 pm

Dougie finished the wood panels AND i painted them, he fixed them in so that job is finsihed now. Next the chipboard. This has already been treated with clear varnish but it is a little to light so was thinking could I use the paint to lightly coat it to give it a little darker shade. This is the paint and the bottles treated stuff mixed. Or do I have to get varnish. I tried it out on a small bit and it looks ok it took a while to dry but still shining and the colour is nice too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Andy
Super user
Super user
Andy

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 12:36 pm

What are those bottom panels made of ?
Back to top Go down
BigDave
Junior user
Junior user
BigDave

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Looks like OSB to me Oriented strand board ???
Back to top Go down
Scooby
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 1:09 pm

If it is OSB? it won't last the winter
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Yes, it is OSB that has been coated in varnish and today I bought a stronger and a little darker varnish so will coated them again, they we will put trallices with plastic flowers all over front and back so hoping that will protect the wood. The ply is sandwiched between the trallices but if we lift the top off we can slide out the ply if need to. I said cover tightly with shrink wrap/plastic but someone not liking that idea. The winter he will cover the whole areas completely with plastic frames, like our balcony and they will be removed in the summer and flynets in their place. Well that is the plan so the OSB will not be exposed but the varnish will be quite thick I hope that works
Back to top Go down
BigDave
Junior user
Junior user
BigDave

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 2:44 pm

OSB can start to disintegrate when exposed to moisture and UV rays. Left wet, it will wick moisture into the fibers and swell, then delaminate. Left in the weather it begins to look exactly like what it is, A bunch of wood chips glued together.I think you have made a serious mistake by using OSB, I assume you also treated every cut before you fixed each panel?
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 6:12 pm

BigDave wrote:
OSB can start to disintegrate when exposed to moisture and UV rays. Left wet, it will wick moisture into the fibers and swell, then delaminate. Left in the weather it begins to look exactly like what it is, A bunch of wood chips glued together.I think you have made a serious mistake by using OSB, I assume you also treated every cut before you fixed each panel?

Thanks guys! Oh dear seem like using the OSB was a bad choice, My garden - Page 14 2345823347 Al well, another learning curve, nothing we can do now, will have to leave it this way till next year and in the meantime start buying perspect as that is what we were going to use in the first place and stain it. I re varnished the panels today so that should help till next year.  Yes BigDave I treated all the cut wood x2 and tomorrow will put a coat of varnish on too just to be on the safe side. Dougie has made the panels so they slide in and out easily so we may even strt replacing them towards the end of this year.  The stain has brought the wood up much darker than I wanted but will check again tomorrow when it is fully dry.  Thanks for your comments appreciate that very much/ g Thankfully the OSB wood was not expensive.

Today had 3 ton of stones delivered so tomorrow I will start filling the chanels for the drainage.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Don't dispair just yet Berni...as the other guys have correctly stated...your enemies are moisture and UV rays, but these threats can be overcome. I used this stuff in my town place, almost 10 years ago and it is still holding strong! I painted each fitted sheet (cut edges included), with a a single coat of yatch varnish...fitted the panels into correct and final position and painted all exposed surfaces with a light brown, enamel paint. Once the job was finished, I gave it all a good coating of the varnish and sat back and waited...it's been exposed to rain, snow and minus 25 degree temps, plus full summer sun for all of its life so far...no problems yet.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 8:53 pm

justbazz wrote:
Don't dispair just yet Berni...as the other guys have correctly stated...your enemies are moisture and UV rays, but these threats can be overcome. I used this stuff in my town place, almost 10 years ago and it is still holding strong! I painted each fitted sheet (cut edges included), with a a single coat of yatch varnish...fitted the panels into correct and final position and painted all exposed surfaces with a light brown, enamel paint. Once the job was finished, I gave it all a good coating of the varnish and sat back and waited...it's been exposed to rain, snow and minus 25 degree temps, plus full summer sun for all of its life so far...no problems yet.

Ah thank you Bazz that is great! we see now how it goes until next year. I bought a few plastic traillises today to get a pattern but they diamond shape is too big so will have to make a pattern up, I ordered the wood for Saturday, I saw it by chance there is 12 lengths in a packed alerady cut that will save a lot of time and energy. I just need to paint them and make up a pattern in fact I can dip them that would be quicker. My garden - Page 14 3367882216

Neighbour popped in today and nearly had a fit when he realised we were laying the old tiles down as a path and will eventually break them and put wire on top to cement. He said no no give them to him. oops! Will have to do small sections at a time now so he does not notice.
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2017 7:38 am

Quote :

I tend to agree with above. I did a very similar procedure on my 6 garage doors each one a full sheet of OSB treated and framed and have been in place for 6 yrs, just keep on top of the staining each year My garden - Page 14 3367882216
Bill
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2017 9:15 am

The secret is the staining/painting...protect the wood from uv rays and moisture. g
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2017 11:43 am

Ah fab:  thanks guys so I seem to be back on track again so now the wood has had 3 coats of varnish and no exposed edges etc anywhere.

I am so proud of myself I dug out the channel for the water drainage and tested it all today and it works like a dream.  Now I am going to fill it with stones and see how that goes  so fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2017 7:37 pm

Ok filled it with stones and it was slow running through so realised I put too many in so we took some out and it works great.  I am not sure about the hole at the end I did put stones in but not going to fill it up as planed so may just put earth back in again, What do you guys think?

When we do cement we will make a dip from the down pipe to the stones
i went under the path and put a pipe there so the water flows through nicely
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Yea, we had our first BBQ last evening, just the two of us in our unfinished gazebo/betseka. It was makeshift with the furniture etc but it was really lovely sitting in there and the BBQ was fab!
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2017 7:08 am

Those last two pics are exactly what the whole project is about!

Sitting back and enjoying what you have designed and built...bliss!

g g
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My garden

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 14 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 23  Next