altText
altText

My garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
justbazz1

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 11:11 am

First topic message reminder :

..grows a bit like this.

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 7:17 am

bulgariabill wrote:
Hi Berni,
Sorry if I have caused you more work, but I thought it looked a bit top heavy, and would have hated not to say something and you find it buckled under a heavy snow fall or high wind.  If you are going down the route of surrounding with wood and filling with concrete, would using heavy duty drain piping do a similar job? a be a bit more cost effective, pipe cut to length, then cut down one length,to allow you to place around the pole, drill a hole at the top and pour concrete into the hole and leave to set, you then have the choice of leaving the pipe in place or removing it and have concrete pillars and decorate?
Just an idea

Bill

Ah bless you @bulgariabull thank you for pointing it out, it is a great help to us as we have not done this before and we learn through trial and error, hopefully less errors g But if you, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and the forum members are watching and tell us what to expect and what other options are available than between us all we will get it right. So thanks a million really appreciate it.

Yes we thought about getting the brown plastic drain pipe, it is a much better options but we would not get it around the post unless we cut a chunk out of it, we tried it with a small bit really hard to open the cut pipe without breaking the pipe. He is going to try a tin drain pipe. see how that goes. Have to seal with silicon afterwords
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 7:38 am

Hi Berni
What is the diameter of the poles? ,Would it be more practical and less work, to have wooden uprights next to the metal to take the weight, then remove the metal poles, if you get my drift, min 8x8cm

Bill
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: subject   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 8:53 am

Good morning guys

I have been following your project closely and agree, in essence, with what has been suggested. One thing which really sticks out is the absence of any horizontal bracing under the pitch line...you have the four poles on each side connected to each other horizontally, but not to their opposite number on the other side. As it stands at the moment, if you applied a heavy weight to the ridgeline ie. lots of snow, the roof would probably sag downwards and the four uprights on either side would fold outwards because there is nothing to stop them. Can you visualise what I mean?

The suggestion to place a wooden upright beside each metal one is probably the quickest solution to the weight bearing problem.

I'm here for most of the day so if you have any questions. c

Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 9:27 am

Quote :
One thing which really sticks out is the absence of any horizontal bracing under the pitch line...you have the four poles on each side connected to each other horizontally, but not to their opposite number on the other side. As it stands at the moment, if you applied a heavy weight to the ridgeline ie. lots of snow, the roof would probably sag downwards and the four uprights on either side would fold outwards because there is nothing to stop them. Can you visualise what I mean?

Justbazz -I agree
Berni - the below might give you an idea of the basic frame? looking at the length of the structure another cross beam in the centre would be advisable?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: subject   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 9:35 am

Thanks BB...that's exactly what I was getting at. IMO Berni and Dougie will be better off with a cross beam to join all four of their posts....the 45 degree bracing struts on each corner will do a lot to stop the whole structure from moving about in the wind.
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 9:44 am

Hi Bazz
It might save them a lot of trouble if they just 'shadow' the metal poles with wood to take the roof add the cross bars and I would suggest a ridge saddle, then remove the metal.?

I appreciate they were trying to utilise Gazebo poles but they are not meant to take the weight they have constructed the roof in.

Bill
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: subject   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 10:32 am

I'm with you on this one Bill....I prefer to build with timber, mainly because I don't have a welder (or serious welding skills) and it tends to keep the costs down. The end result will always look much nicer if you pay attention to detail too.

The diagram you provided earlier will make a very good template for them to follow.

Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks guys we are looking at everything.   We will use thick wood along the back and two sides at bottom to hold it secure, will use one long length rather than cutting on the sides. see photo below cut out and fit.

Dougie said can we put strong wire/ hook metal from post to post around the top will that stop the top from collapsing.

So this is the structure so far [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 4:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Quote :
Dougie said can we put strong wire/ hook metal from post to post around the top will that stop the top from collapsing.

Not quite sure what you mean regarding the wire? are you thinking like a 'metal' band around the top.

It would help to know the dimensions, length, width, height, to get some perspective, looking at the pictures the expanse at the back looks pretty wide, and will need 45 deg support bars to stop the middle sagging, I would also suggest a similar configuration in the middle to take the strain, as per the diagram I sent earlier. but starting to look sturdier. g

Bill
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: subject   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Have you decided what to use to support/strengthen the eight upright posts?
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 5:38 pm

OK guys thanks for all your suggestions really appreacte it very much and we have now come up with this from all the suggestions. We will have to use wood for all 8 posts as drain pipes are too thin to get the cement down, searched all over Silistra today.

1)  So th 8 posts will have wood boxes around probably about 8" or so wide and the steel poles will be in the middle.  

2) The bottom will have wood all the way along until we build a small wall next year on the three sides.

3)  The roof inside will have wood across from pole/wood all the way back.  That should strengthen the roof.

4)  The front and back will have slants from side to side  like this / \ on each corner.

Hopefully this will do the trick. Thanks guys you did great. Will get there with a team effort g

Now look at my fab drawing. I know, yes you are right  I am good at drawing too

Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: subject   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 7:01 pm

g
Back to top Go down
cowshed-sarah
Super user
Super user
cowshed-sarah

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 8:56 am

The roof supports don't look very strong to me ? what is their diameter and thickness?
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 12:56 pm

cowshed-sarah wrote:
The roof supports don't look very strong to me ? what is their diameter and thickness?

Yes you are right, it is moving and we are working on how to make it more stable. The whole frame is steel. the roof width  is about  1.5 to say 1.8 mts and the wood between is about 3" or so. We will be putting wood across the roof so it is like an /_\ line again , this will strengthen it.

Now decided not to bother with the wood around the posts just make the casts and put the coloured cement inside - wood would have to be treated every year where as the concrete pillar won't

Will post pictures when we have set one pillar in place.

Last edited by oddball on Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Good luck it does look as though it needs something more substantial My garden - Page 8 1430720830
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My garden - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My garden   My garden - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My garden

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 23  Next