View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

Property related fraud - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 1:16 am

First topic message reminder :

I have just received the following email from Henry Rowlands of Novinite
I wish you good luck on December 23rd
The article [url=http:
//www.
novinite.
com/view_news.
php?id=110314:371pwafn][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] has had a very good reception from both readers and people in high places, and that is all I can say at present, except to wish you good luck again
Best Wishes
Henry
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 6:41 pm

coriolanus wrote:
Indeed, you are absolutely right, cheekychops. If you know the right person approach, it is possible to buy the Police, Judiciary, Courts, Prosecutors Offices, Lawyers, Notaries - absolutely anyone involved in the legal system.

Regards, George.

This is terrible and I hope it gets sorted soon, its things like that which will destroy Bulgaria's property market not that there is much of a market at the mo but the future will look very grim with these kind of goings on

sarah
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 8:12 pm

coriolanus wrote:
Indeed, you are absolutely right, cheekychops. If you know the right person to approach, it is possible to buy the Police, Judiciary, Courts, Prosecutors Offices, Lawyers, Notaries - absolutely anyone involved in the legal system.

Regards, George.

now aint that the truth !!
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user
Gimp

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 9:16 pm

varnagirl wrote:
now aint that the truth !!

I have to agree with you varnagirl we all know that this sort of thing goes on in Bulgaria but it's not limited to Bulgaria I guess all we can do is hope that one day it will get sorted out but I fear it won't be in my life time Property related fraud - Page 8 927475117
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Another article to add to this one

Compromised Bulgarian dreams

He's a 55-year-old construction entrepreneur from London and one of the victims of property fraud, an issue that thousands of Britons have encountered in Bulgaria.

We'll call him Steven because he does not want his identity revealed. Right now he is in Britain and the last thing he wants is to meet journalists. We talked to his lawyer in Sofia, who also asked not to be named because the court action is still pending. But the story we are about to tell is very much real.

Auspicious start
The year is 2005. Under the influence of ubiquitous advertising in British newspapers, Steven decides to buy an apartment on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast through Bulgarian Dreams – one of the largest and most popular property intermediaries during the boom era.

He picks the Windows to Paradise development near Kavarna because of the golf courses under construction nearby. Steven's dream is to buy a second home in Bulgaria, which at the time is already certain to join the European Union. He picks a 123 sq m apartment on the fifth floor of one of the buildings in the future development. The price is 108 000 euro and Steven pays half of it.

After the promising start comes the shock.

No fifth floor
A year after paying for his apartment, Steven received an e-mail from a Bulgarian Dreams representative informing him that construction would be delayed, although it did not say for how long. More shocking, however, was the revelation that the building would only have four floors.

Turns out that Kavarna town hall did not approve the fifth floor in the building where Steven paid for the apartment. In the name of Bulgarian Dreams, he is offered to choose another apartment for the same price in a future building, without specifying which building.

Steven refused and asked for his money back, along with interest and damages.

What followed was five months of tortured correspondence between Steven and Bulgarian Dreams, in the course of which he was once again offered to buy a smaller apartment in Bansko or Pamporovo. In the end, he was promised that he would get his money back, but was referred to Bulgarian Dreams' Bulgarian partner – Interlink BG.

After more talks with the lawyers of the Bulgarian company, he was refused a refund because not all shareholders of Interlink BG gave their approval.

In court
Steven was lucky to find a good Bulgarian lawyer who began actively pursuing Interlink BG. First, he secured an impounding of the company's bank accounts, but finding no money there, he persuaded the court to impound two plots owned by the company. In the end, the court ruled in Steven's favour, ordering the company to pay back the money plus interest.

We are telling you Steven's story because it is a typical case involving British nationals. There are hundreds of such court actions in Bulgarian courts and a big part of them are deals brokered by Bulgarian Dreams.

"
Most of them signed blindly, without even reading their contracts. Many contracts have no date or builder signature. To a large extent, the blame belongs to the Britons themselves, who were overly trusting in their dealings. Many of them did not consult a lawyer, thinking it an unnecessary expense,"
said Milen Hristov, a lawyer who represents several British buyers burned by Bulgarian Dreams.

So far, he has secured one out-of-court settlement to recover 20 000 euro for a client who bought an apartment in the Windows to Paradise development near Kavarna.

After boom, bust
Bulgarian Dreams is the most often cited name whenever one talks of Britons having problems with their Bulgarian properties. It started as a family business, founded by Briton Robert Jenkin and his spouse Maria Georgieva. Business grew as the generous advertising campaign and promises of quick returns won new clients.

Hundreds of properties in several large developments on the Black Sea coast and in Bansko were sold with the company acting as an intermediary.

The first signs of the impending fiasco came in March 2008, when the company was expelled by the London-based Association of International Property Professionals because of customer complaints. The crash came at the end of 2008, when the company surprisingly announced that it ceased trading, closed its Moorgate office and told customers on its website that "
following the extraordinarily difficult economic conditions"
, customers should contact the Bulgarian building companies directly.

In March 2009, it was reported that the economic crime department of the City of London Police was investigating the company. The Sunday Times said at the time that Bulgarian Dreams held a prominent spot in the list of fraud investigations.

Representatives of Bulgarian Dreams and the Bulgarian companies linked to the firm could not be found for comment before Capital went to print.

Brilliant scheme
At least four developments in which Bulgarian Dreams sold apartments have been identified. These are Windows to Paradise in Kavarna, Cedar Heights in Pamporovo, Cedar Lodge and Orchard Lodge in Bansko.

Actually, Bulgarian Dreams is only a trademark operated by British company Berkley Square Trading Limited. The company worked with Bulgarian construction firms that were also investors in the property developments and sold the apartments.

"
The real firm, registered in Britain, is Berkley Square Trading Limited, while Bulgarian Dreams is only a trademark – this is what Bulgarian courts cannot understand,"
Hristov said. "
In Britain, the legislation allows you to register a company name, but trade under a different name, so they can identify themselves as Bulgarian Dreams and use that name in all the paperwork. The only trail that links them to the real firm is that their stationery features the name of the company and its identification number in the trade register."

British buyers paid for their apartments to Berkley Square Trading Limited accounts. It is assumed that the intermediary then wired the funds to Bulgarian builders.

The court actions against Bulgarian Dreams are further compounded by the fact that all payments were made through the intermediary, which is difficult to prove.

"
The money transfer happened through the British intermediary, so none of the payments were made directly to the builder. This is the practice in Britain, when one advertises something, they have to sign an intermediation contract and the intermediary then has to transfer the money to the builder. This is why so many people agreed to pay that way. In Bulgaria, no one would do it, because people prefer to pay the builder directly,"
Hristov said.

Another story
Rachel Gawith is one of the numerous victims of Bulgarian Dreams. Her experience with the Bulgarian property market began in the summer of 2004, when she decided to buy an apartment in Bansko from Bulgarian Dreams, an intermediary well-known in London, paying 1100 euro a sq m. She later acknowledged that she signed a contract full of mistakes.

When she visited the development in October 2004, she found that, contrary to promises, it was much further from the ski lift and the view of Bansko was actually a view of the balcony on the neighbouring building.

Worried, Gawith contacted other owners in the same building, only to find out that they had the same unanswered concerns. Bulgarian Dreams told the Britons that their concerns would be addressed by the builder.

Having realised her mistake, Gawith decided to sell her Bansko apartment. After long negotiations with the building company, she managed to get back two thirds of her deposit, but Bulgarian Dreams refused to refund the 6000 euro commission paid to them. With the help of a British NGO, Trading Standards Institute, Gawith was later refunded the commission.

Her story does not end there. "
Despite this initial setback I still loved Bulgaria and wanted to invest in property there but had decided that buying cheaper old rural property was a much better bet,"
she wrote on her blog, thetravelbug.org.

She would later travel throughout the country to get to know the different regions and meet real estate agents. She said she met both the kind that were "
out just to rip you off"
as well as some "
really helpful and friendly"
. She bought several properties and had problems with them as well, detailing her experience in an e-book titled My Bulgarian Property Nightmare.

"
Whilst Bulgaria is a lovely country in many ways and has much to offer, I do not know a single person that has moved here or bought here and not faced problems with agencies, builders and general difficulties of living in a different country and culture,"
she wrote on her blog. "
Please just be careful, ask as many questions as you can, however silly they may seem and do not rush into anything, however a fantastic deal it may look."
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Here is another article to add to your's nu2bg, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... ream-homes
I have personally met Nicola West last year and she still had the remains of marks to her neck
£25,000 of the money handed over was left to her Daughter by the deceased Grand-mother, all very sad Property related fraud - Page 8 927475117
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Your link isn't working Property related fraud - Page 8 794030042
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 1:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... ream-homes - Try this nu2bg as it is copied and pasted
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Here it is I managed to get to it thank you willowsend

A ski resort, a lost investment, and a Bulgarian murder
Property investor under witness protection after trying to recover money

Nichola West shows the bruise marks round her neck. They are, she says, all she has to show for her investment in what she had hoped would be a dream home for her family in eastern Europe. It turned into a disaster, with her money lost in a series of events that culminated in murder. Now she is on a witness protection scheme as police investigate.

Two years ago, West, a ballet teacher who lives with her husband and daughter in Norfolk, read an article about the Bulgarian ski resort of Bansko. It was "
full of eastern promise"
, with property bargains at "
a tenth of the cost"
of similar apartments in the French Alps.

With a teenage daughter who loved skiing and money to invest, West found a website called Dream Homes which had information about properties in Bulgaria. She contacted the company, which is based in Marbella, Spain, and is endorsed by Sir Ian Botham, and was directed to properties in Bansko.

She paid a deposit of €2,000 (£1,700) by credit card and Dream Homes arranged for her to fly to Bansko. There, she met Ray Cleary, a representative of the Bulgarian-based property company AZ, which was handling the sale of apartments at Pearl II, as the development was called. He recommended a lawyer, Ralitsa Galeva, to handle the transaction. "
The whole of Bansko looked like a building site,"
said West, "
but I was told it would soon be finished."
She paid an instalment to the lawyer and was told that she could expect to move in in May 2008. More money was required in October 2007 and in February of this year she was told that the roof was now on the property and she would need to pay the third instalment or risk losing it. In total, she has paid out €87,000.

But in January this year, the two Bulgarian partners in the building firm, Stil Tak, supposedly carrying out the work, fell out. One, Krassimir Krulev, accused the other, Angel Sabev, of stealing €6m from the company and allegedly shot him dead. Work on the site halted. Krulev is currently under house arrest.

West sent frantic emails to the lawyer, who said the money was with AZ and it would repay it. It never materialised. Then she was told that the money would be handed to her if she went to Bulgaria. She went to the AZ office in Plovdiv and had to force her way in by kicking in a door panel. Inside, she found that seven different companies were operating from the small office, as well as paperwork about her property. She noticed a cup of coffee was warm and there must be someone in the office. "
There were two of them cowering in an inside office,"
she said.

At this stage, she claimed in a statement to police, one of the men, whom she identified as Smilen Botev of AZ, grabbed her. "
He shouted: 'Who are you?' I said: 'Give me back my money.' He said: 'You are Mrs West ... you stupid woman' and grabbed me by the throat. I screamed and told him that the embassy and police knew I was there."
She fled, after grabbing the documentation.

Botev strenuously denies her claims. He said West broke into his office and stole documents. He said he did not lay a finger on her and that the lawyer would repay the money "
in 10 days"
. West said she had been hearing the same assurances for months. On the advice of the Serious Organised Crime Agency, she contacted Norfolk police's economic and computer crime unit, which is investigating and has put her on a witness protection scheme. West has since made contact with dozens of other people who have lost money in the venture.

A Dream Homes spokeswoman said: "
The situation could never have been foreseen. It is a complete one-off. The whole due diligence process was fine."

Ray Cleary, of AZ, said of the Pearl II development: "
It is a complete nightmare."
Ralitsa Galeva said she had passed all the money on to the developers and said of the failed development: "
It just happened, one of the managers was too greedy. C'est la vie."

As for Pearl II, in which West had been hoping to enjoy this winter's ski season, it is still advertised on dozens of websites as an "
attractive and recommended location"
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:53 am

Admin wrote:
Hi Guy's while I appreciate that this topic is of great interest to all of us and there has been some possible valuable points raised I think it would be best if we can stick to the facts and not Speculation and guessing which isn't going to help anyone least of all willowsend and although I'm no legal person I think to discuss a legal matter like this on an open form may not be the way to go? but as said there has been some very good points raised by all here, but lets just keep it to the facts, and we all know what they say in the papers is always open to interpretation, anyway great topic as always keep it up but with facts please

:Howdy:everybody and here are some FACTS s g

I want every member from Admin and Mods on this forum who have supported us over the last two years to share with us the happiness, delight and total satisfaction in winning the final appeal against the perpetrators in the Sofia Supreme Court, and there could not have been a more fitting climax to the situation than our lawyer arriving at our garden party of invited guests last Sunday with the official document, saying final decision, Villa Lorna 100% our's
[size=150:3qg8bxvj]CASE CLOSED Property related fraud - Page 8 2706089290
I hope this will be an inspiration to anybody who find themselves in a similar situation to fight for justice and you are more than welcome to use our case as a test case :Property related fraud - Page 8 1931734156:
When I have received the translated copy, if there is anything that I think is worth sharing with the forum I will post it
Once again thank you to all who have followed our fight for justice all completed in six court sessions over two years
THANK YOU, THANK YOU :Property related fraud - Page 8 3897195628: Property related fraud - Page 8 2345823347 Property related fraud - Page 8 3998065313 evil
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 7:56 am

Fantastic outcome g

Now enjoy the delights of this wonderful country.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 8:13 am

Congratulations. You must be hugely relieved that it's finally over. Property related fraud - Page 8 1536469901
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 am

All credit to you Property related fraud - Page 8 739492727
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 8:29 am

soooooooooo glad to be able to read that post at last...... g :Fireworks:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 9:05 am

Good news Bryan for the both of you I hope you and Sheila can now spend some quality time together at you second home g
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 9:22 am

Congratulations Brian and thank you for the update Property related fraud - Page 8 570106603
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Property related fraud   Property related fraud - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Property related fraud

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next