View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 6:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've been thinking about when I make the final plunge and what will I mis from the UK that can't be got in Bulgaria and since I don't live there yet I thought I would ask those of you who do so what is it you mis from Blighty
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Well I didn't think I missed anything but I have just been watching 'Loose Women' on my slingbox and I have to say I have laughed myself silly. I do miss that English sense of humour. Sadly lacking in most Brits out here. They are sooooo funny and say things that if I said them I'd be strung up!!! Ha ha... s s
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Good point oldun.

I should have added English TV to my list!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:26 pm

I miss.......

Dartmoor
Decent Pasties
Rough cider

Walking along cliff paths with my dog
Church bells
Christmas
Bonfire night
Buying your own fire works from Tesco
My brother
Quality roast beef at the pub on Sunday lunch
Pubs full stop
Big open fires in the pub
Real belly laughs that make you cry
English shell fish
Decent fish and chips
oak trees
Back to top Go down
kayakbulgaria

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Swinging What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 405927828
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 pm

kayakbulgaria wrote:
Swinging What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 405927828

What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 2381841692 What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 1865348797 now that should get a few eyebrows lifted What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 2345823347
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 8:46 pm

I thought it must have been typo........

ooohhh matron :shock:
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 9:41 am

Everyone to their own thing What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 1430720830
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: What do you miss?   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 9:23 am

Just a light thought from a Sunday morning brain....

As an ex-pat, what food/service/other products do you miss from your former country. I know most of those who come on here regularly are most interested in integrating with the Bulgarian life, but there must be something you miss (besides Marmite) I know there are shops selling British groceries, not bothered with them. More things like (coming up to Christmas) mincemeat and Christmas cakes, delivered veggie boxes, very popular here now......though many of you will be into growing your own. Errrmm...er.....

I was just wondering what I would actually miss besides work and incessant rain, and I can't imagine anything. No doubt I will find out soon enough.
Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 9:43 am

I still don't miss anything really and when it comes to foodstuffs I don't think anyone would miss anything there either because 99% of stuff from the uk is available here in Bulgaria and if not the suppliers will get it for you.
Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 9:52 am

I think in the early days people who came to Bulgaria did miss the things they were use to as far as food is concerned but all that changed with the many that now bring it in, but the only for me that hasn't changed over the years is I miss my family and friends although they all visit regularly so it does get easier with time.
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 am

Having not lived in the uk now for many years I don't miss anything, once you get here I'm sure you will think you mis a lot of things but as time passes you get used to your new life and new culture which makes things easier. I'm not saying its ever going to be easy because life in Bulgaria can be very difficult but its all part of life here which you will adapt to and in a funny kind of way you will appreciate too. What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 739492727
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks whoever moved this to here! T

I have ploughed through all 10 pages of this thread and it's interesting that most replies have centred around food, the one thing which I feel will not really bother me. I have got used to using as much as I can grow myself, even when seasonal stuff gets boring, don't do takeaways or convenience food much (baked beans once a month and tinned toms maybe) but we are planning to grow and preserve a lot more. Most meals are cooked from scratch anyway, and cakes and bread no problem. Mr Eq eats meat, but he is quite happy with home grown chicken, and there is a lot you can do with chicken. (Blimey, that Lady G chicken in the garden must be phsycic....she kicked off when I typed that!)

What I might miss is English speaking TV in the Winter months when being outside is not much fun (I'll have to start making cards and embroidering again!) and as someone else said, some sort of animal welfare law.

I have two brothers and a sister who I don't see, but might when I have a house in Bulgaria for cheap holidays! Mr Eq has family in Kent, who he sees once a year as the drive down takes so long and we can't take the dogs. We would miss good internet connection as the family have recently discovered Skype, which certainly makes the in-laws happy.

What about other services I haven't thought of?

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 11:07 am

There really isn't anything to mis its more a case of getting use to something different and that really does apply the the whole way of life, its doesn't matter if its food or any of the services its just different and sometimes very frustrating.

I would think it was one of the mods or admin who moved it for you.
Back to top Go down
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 11:27 am

When im over in Bulgaria I dont miss anything ( I do admit to taking some Yorkshire teabags for someone on the last trip who obviusly missed them ( we use the Assam from the penny supermarket! ) , and some Marmite for myself ), Im there every second month at the minute , driving back and forwards

Im just starting to find my way around what each shop has, leaflets from the bigger shops help , a lot have weekly offer leaflets , most local shops are very basic so i just drive the 10 mile to Kazanlak to Billa, penny super market and Kaufland or for simple things its only a few miles drive to the small supermarket Maglizh.

DIY stuff is easy to get, most of it , long ladders seem to be impossible to get ( so ive bought a scaffolding tower to take over ) , and Weedkiller.....Ive never used the stuff before but i needed Roundup and couldnt get any....none of the bigger or smaller stores had any.

I do miss the internet banking , I cant use my internet banking in Bulgaria , also the telephone banking as they locked my account when I tried to access it by computer and they dont allow roaming mobiles or Bulgarian mobiles to access telephone banking at the HSBC , so i cant look how the business is going and I hate being in control.

All the talk of high food prices in Bulgaria made me wonder where people were shopping? , i thought everything was so cheap a kilo of pork cost me about 7 lev , its often £10 in UK Terscos for the same cut of meat ( that doesnt taste as good either ) , theres nothing i couldnt find as food goes

I miss a lot coming back to the UK , theres nothing I miss when in Bulgaria , in time I will find the few bits like weedkiller that I needed but i dont exactly miss them

Good petrol was hard to find, ended up using Optimax `racing` from the Shell garage in Kazanak shell petrol seems fine , the village petrol station was bad, seemed ok for the local ladas but no good for mine
Back to top Go down
http://www.my-bulgarian-house-renovation.com
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 5:53 pm

I said in a previous post that I missed a British newspaper to read daily. However, we used to get a weekly expat paper, but
to be honest, the news was so old when we got it it really wasn't worth while.
With the Internet you can get all the newspapers on line anyway.
So I don't really miss anything except family and friends! s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you mis from the uk ???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Life in Bulgaria-