View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

What do you mis from the uk ??? Empty
PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 6:41 pm

I've been thinking about when I make the final plunge and what will I mis from the UK that can't be got in Bulgaria and since I don't live there yet I thought I would ask those of you who do so what is it you mis from Blighty
Back to top Go down
bobski
Anonymous

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 7:56 pm

scott, good thread.

being from staffordshire,i miss the local delicacy of oatcakes.
we also miss friends and family,but the worlds now a small place & they will be over shortly.

we also miss ....well nothing really, as most uk items can be brought here.

ok for some things you will pay a little more, other items can be brought cheaper than the UK.

dont worry about your favourite things as you can allways find someone who can help you out.

bob.
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Having never lived in Bulgaria it would be difficult for me to say exactly but having spent a lot of time there in my life I have found that now I don't think you would mis anything apart from your family but many years ago when I was visiting and I mean 20 + years it was a different story but now I can't think of anything I mis when I visit for sometimes a 2 months at a time I think that since the doors have opened into Europe it has made it so much easier to get almost anything you want, hope that helps you
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Thank you both for your input lets hear it from others to come you guys
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Hi scott I lived in Bulgaria for a while and to be honest I can't say I missed anything except my family, I found that I get get everything I wanted maybe at a price but none the less I could get it I think sometimes its a state of mind we always want what we can't get? but the more and more that I read about all the company's that are moving into BG the more I can see that shopping will be much the same as it is in the uk but a lot cheaper
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 5:51 am

Having lived in France for 10 years prior to moving to BG five years ago I would certainly say I miss a decent cheese selection!

Pretty much a choice of Sirene (white) or Kashkaval (yellow) cheese is all that's available in most smaller towns and villages.

However, most of the larger towns now have supermarkets that stock French and German cheeses so, as most others said, you can pretty much get anything here nowadays if you're willing to pay the extra for 'imported' produce!

Cheers
Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Suzee
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:34 am

Marmite and gravy browning are about the only things we've not found here.

Oh and galaxy chocolate. Most stuff is available but just depends on how much you want to pay for it. With more supermarkets opening all of the time the choices are growing.

On the flip side when I went back to the UK this year for a holiday there was more stuff I missed from BG than the other way round!
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Its interesting to read that no one really misses much at all well nothing of any real importance but I to have found that while on holiday I never give much thought to anything in the uk I know its only a holday but still I can't say I have ever missed anything maybe long term I might feel differant who knows but looking at the above and the fact that most things are available albeit at a price I don't think anyone would have any problem with anything they couldn't get anyway, It seems that as time goes by and more and more of the bigger companies move into Bulgaria the more available everything becomes . [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 2:29 pm

family and proper friends

not being able to go out of my door and into the car in all weathers without getting covered in dry sand ..or wet mud

not being able to sort out my own problems without having to ask a native ... to name just a few !!
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 2:34 pm

varnagirl Would you change things and go back to the uk or are these just minor things?
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 9:12 am

lots of minor things over the years become mega when they are all pinned together.......would i go back...cant afford to !!
would i change anything ..yes ...not sell up in uk lock stock and barrell...buy a holiday home in bg...stay for however long i wanted at one time....... but that would be in a perfect world /situation .... which does not /did not excist in my case....
Back to top Go down
Darrell
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 6:19 am

Hi its Darrell and Carol

First of all we like it here, I dont like the fly tipping that goes on and I dont like the way they treat some of thier dogs, so Firstly I miss the proper authorities that we have in the UK that deal with these issues.

I also miss good cheese like you would not know, especially a good strong farmhouse cheddar, and a nice bottle of good cider.

Then it would have to be my clay pigeon shooting which I did to quite a high level in the UK my best result was 5th at the British Open Sporting championships so I miss the crack.

Apart from that I am a great believer in the fact that things will change in the future, and we enjoy are life, I have more here than in England, 2 cars, 3 dogs and time to train them ( they are hunting dogs) no mortgage, money in my pocket, and most of all quality time with my wife.

Where does the time go
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 10:58 am

We don't live in Bulgaria yet (can't wait!), but have lived abroad before. Apart from missing family and friends, I really missed a daily newspaper in English. There's nothing quite like spreading the paper over the kitchen table and having a good old read! I know I could read it online, but it's not the same.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 6:32 pm

I think that's a good point Scunnered even on holiday I look for a British news paper as I like to have a good read but maybe there is one available in Bulgaria ?

sarah
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you mis from the uk ???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Life in Bulgaria-