View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 6:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've been thinking about when I make the final plunge and what will I mis from the UK that can't be got in Bulgaria and since I don't live there yet I thought I would ask those of you who do so what is it you mis from Blighty
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Cumbrian
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 10:17 pm

Never having lived in BG it's difficult to imagine what I might miss from UK.
But having spent a lot of time away from home, I don't usually miss anything.
Family I don't see much of anyway, both parents dead, ex-wife who only speaks to be either insulting or sarcastic, only one sister who disowned me when I got divorced, sons both have their own lives, daughter who never visits (she lives with ex), cousins all in Australia havn't seen for years.
I do love my food, but wherever I've been there's always something good to eat and drink.

I might miss the miserable cold damp weather in UK.
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 10:19 pm

Cumbrian wrote:

I might miss the miserable cold damp weather in UK.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 9:07 pm

krypton now that we have all that horrible weather are you still saying the same all I'm saying is
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Hi All
Been here 7months now,there is the odd time we wish we could pop down the chip shop,mmmmmmmmmm nothing quite like fish and chips,and english sausages,apart from that most things you can get

Mike
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Yes I don't think you can beat good old fish and chips and even when on holiday they are not the same
Back to top Go down
anglachanka
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 10:17 am

Apart from, like everyone else, missing family, there is little I miss really

Doner kebabs of all things !!! good cheese, but cheddars are beginning to appear in the supermarkets.

I did miss brown sauce like HP, but now make my own, which all my friends are clamouring for as it tastes exactly the same. I also make my own baked beans, naan bread, curries from scratch and can now put together mixed spice and a very acceptable Chinese curry paste.
I even bake my own doggie bicuits which keeps the 6 inmates very happy.

I have leraned to be inventive, have the time to do it and with the few British online stores as well selling things like malt vinegar, lamb, beef etc there is not much that I can't either get or make foodwise.

I struggle to find English books to read but am hoping the new book club in Questbg will solve that problem shortly.

I have English tv programmes to my hearts content, so yes family and doner kebabs is all .

Lucky me eh?
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 3:08 pm

Sounds like life is treating you well, tell me did you do all of this cooking etc before you went to Bulgaria or is it just something to do by the way glad to see you on here agian missed seeing your name crop up
Back to top Go down
anglachanka
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi
I have always liked cooking and never really got into the processed pre-packaged foods. the economics of having 4 kids all around the same age saw to that, and so I have almost always made meals from scratch
However, I didn't make things like brown sauce or baked beans in the UK as they were readily available, just being here and having a good think one day about what I really missed and couldn't get.

Onto the internet, looking at a selection of recipes and eventually adapting to my own, seems to have cracked it.

I also made my own Xmas puddings for the first time ever this year, have made various chutneys, huge batches of basic tomato sauces for freezing and using later in chillies, bolognese etc (when the tomatoes were a ridiculous 30 pence per kg) and even had a go at my own mincmeat ...but the jury is out on that one !!

It is good, as I have one friend who makes jams and marmalades and another who makes cakes, pies and cookies etc so we are always swapping and keeps the cupboards full of treats.

So yes and no, always loved cooking and feeding others, but never before attempted things like naan bread, dog biscuits etc.

They say necessity is the mother of invention
Back to top Go down
Pavlova
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Apart from friends and family the only thing I miss is Hendersons Relish...Anyone from Yorkshire will know what Im on about
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 5:48 am

Pavlova wrote:
Anyone from Yorkshire will know what Im on about

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am ... and I do!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
junenan
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 8:27 am

i miss sainsburys especially there whole meal bread and the clothes you can get there that fit large sizes and the choice of it all & N.S.H.friends and family news paper & magazines and how to pay ones bills so we dont get fined because we are late paying not the fact that no one has seen fit to tell us fish &chips chinese food decent restraunts where the food is hot & all comes together the vet I know I think thats about it even so I do not want to go back to dear old blighty it will be an islamic country if all the legal and illegal immigrants have there say the politions are so blinkered in the human right thing that cant see what is happening before there eyes so i will stay right here now I have got that off my chest can someone tell me the recipe for dog biscuits is it cheaper to make them as we have 6 gorgeous dogs , junenan
Back to top Go down
Pavlova
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:19 am

ChrisQBG wrote:
Pavlova wrote:
Anyone from Yorkshire will know what Im on about

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am ... and I do!

Nice to know theres more Yorkie folk out there Chris.If you wanna share my bottle you will have to get over here soon [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:44 am

Chris is in kotel, so it won't take him long
Back to top Go down
JACK SPARROW
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 12:16 pm

Just normal day to day things,like cinema,a street conversation,chinese takeaways or any takeaways for that matter,(fish/chips)my mates and hobbies,family of course,british tele,a descent broadband,but still prefer here(BG) ,the easy going lifestyle,the stunning weather,new challenges,no drunks or saturday night rioting/fights/orgies,no disrespect,or druggies,or endless traffic jams,speed cameras and traffic lights....
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Wow that's a list and half but you still would rather be in BG which says a lot about how much better your life must be without all those other things that are taken for granted in the uk, but I'm sure as time passes there will become available all of those things that's missed and lets be honest friends and family are only a few hours away so that not to bad, great reply Jack along with all the others its good to see how people really cope without the things that are normally taken for granted
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   What do you mis from the uk ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you mis from the uk ???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Life in Bulgaria-