altText
altText

Sheep and Goat!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scunnered
Scunnered

Sheep and Goat! Empty
PostSubject: Sheep and Goat!   Sheep and Goat! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 8:00 am

Well, we have now expanded our little "
family."
Penka the sheep and Matilda the goat joined us
last week. They share a farmyard with Vessa the donkey, eight hens and Russell the cockerel,
named after Russell Brand for obvious reasons!
They both go out with Todor the village shepherd every day. Matilda needs milked twice daily.
This is where the farce begins!
Neither of us had any experience of goats, so Ivan, who looks after things for us when we are
away, offered to show us how to milk her. So far so good. He did it in about five minutes.
It takes us just a bit longer! The first time we were on our own, we lost track of how many times
the bowl was kicked over. Her hoof got in the bowl a couple of times, and best of all, she decided
to poop into it too! Let's just say the dogs enjoyed the milk. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
We are getting better, and quicker. I just pity the poor goat with us amateurs. s
Perhaps we should make a "
How not to milk a goat!"
video!

Penka the sheep will be mated soon. The village pimp, (the shepherd,) has organised this. Lambing
will be the next learning curve.

Our family in the UK think we are "
nutters."
Maybe, but we are happy growing our own vegetables
and fruit, working for ourselves, learning new things daily. Our animals are healthy and seem happy.
We love our new life here. We are also self sufficient in milk! g
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Sheep and Goat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheep and Goat!   Sheep and Goat! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Lovely story Scunnered and I do envy you your animals. Our livestock is diminishing I'm afraid and I really miss our hens and rabbits. I'm afraid our move and my age make it less advisable to restock. Besides we have a goat farm next door and I see them going out to the mountains every day with the shepherd. Its a lovely sight to see. Beautiful creatures. g
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

Sheep and Goat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheep and Goat!   Sheep and Goat! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 3:53 pm

H :Hearts:Old MacDonnald had a farm ei ei oooooo Sheep and Goat! 2706089290
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

Sheep and Goat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheep and Goat!   Sheep and Goat! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Lovely to hear you have your family growing. It must be fun as well.
We must try to come and see you, we have friends staying and they have just found the right home for them in our village.
s
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

Sheep and Goat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheep and Goat!   Sheep and Goat! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Congratulations sounds like your having lots of fun. If you find the milking by hand difficult you can buy hand pumps that have sucktion tubes that go on the teats. we had them for our goat in england. Sheep and Goat! 3356871870
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Sheep and Goat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheep and Goat!   Sheep and Goat! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Just read this thread....and we are jealous. Sounds as if you have the life we are looking for!

Hope the milking is coming along OK. g
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

Sheep and Goat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheep and Goat!   Sheep and Goat! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 6:50 am

Thanks all. T

I am getting better at the milking! One point though, the Bulgarians seem to milk their goats from behind, putting a bowl on the floor and milking both teats at once. Tried this once, and got into a right mess. Now milk from the side with a teat in one hand and a bowl in the other, not on the ground. Obviously a bit slower, but I can do it! Isn't this the "
normal"
way? Sheep and Goat! 3998065313
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sheep and Goat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheep and Goat!   Sheep and Goat! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sheep and Goat!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1