Bernard's goat was Nice, but . . .

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

Bernard's goat was Nice, but . . . Empty
PostSubject: Bernard's goat was Nice, but . . .   Bernard's goat was Nice, but . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 3:24 pm

Christmas has gone and also the New Year and now we are starting to get longer days and our main business is getting the wood in for the wood burners. The axe is being swayed over great lumps of wood with precision, unlike last year when my wood cutting was anything but precision. A good swing of the axe and wood was flying everywhere and the chopping block was getting smaller as slices were being cut off the sides, but after a lot of practice my cutting is now very proficient .

So what now, I hear you say, well we have not had snow since November, no rain since early November and everything looks pretty good and the field is in good shape. We see Bernard now and again, he sits in his lounge, come kitchen, come bedroom and watches the TV and has BG friends arriving to play cards and drink the elixia Rakia. His closest friend has a white horse and he pulls a cart and we have nick named him the "
Lone Ranger,"
Bernard plays cards with him regularly and they have a great competition on who wins their games. Points are written down on a sheet of paper after each game and Bernard often ends up with nula points, whilst the Lone Ranger grabs four or five points.

We visited Bernard's for one of his meals a week ago and his first course is usually a soup which he has made, this has to be eaten whilst drinking Rakia. The second course can be anything from pieces of meat to a mixture of veg and whatever he has bottled in his cold store, this has to be eaten whilst drinking his Vino, of course this has a dramatic effect on one's ability to walk in a straight line afterwards as we have found by experience. Mixing Rakia and Vino has a disastrous effect on anybody and we try to drink as little Vino as we can, knowing what the outcome will be if we guzzle away at it all. Unlike us Brits who cut off most of the fat on meat, they leave the fat on and there can big blobs of it stuck on what we are trying to eat, last week it was goat and most of it was fat, this turns me off completely, the goat bit was nice, but I cut off the fat. While Bernard was busy preparing our dessert, I put my off cuts of fatty goat on his plate next to his portion which he had placed there earlier without his knowledge and when he returned to the table he ate the lot!! I suppose us Brits are fussy, but I have never liked fat and they appear to enjoy as much fat as you give them.

We are earnestly looking forward to March when the Storks start to arrive for their breeding season, then we know this silly Winter session has finished and we can get back to normal and out into the garden and the veggies and the exterior DIY for me. There is not too much to do now and so a bit more relaxing will take place this year thank goodness. My planning for this winter with insulating the house and putting a pechka in the kitchen (20ft x 16ft) has really paid off and the house is a lot warmer and more comfortable to relax in.

There we are, another episode of life here in this outback of Bulgaria, nestled in our village away from the hustle and bustle of noise, except for the occasional plane flying over our garden.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

Bernard's goat was Nice, but . . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bernard's goat was Nice, but . . .   Bernard's goat was Nice, but . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 3:44 pm

H H T
Back to top Go down

Bernard's goat was Nice, but . . .

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1