altText
altText
altText

heating problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
robert bridges

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi All,
I am looking for some advise.I have a hercules 30b.Its running 12 rads and 2 towel rails.I have tryed burning wood,coal,bricketts and still cant get it above 40'.I am not a plumber but i think it needs a pipe stat as i tryed switching the pump on and off to allow the water to heat up and it ran much hotter.One night i forgot to switch the pump back on and hot water started pouring out the expansion tank fitted to the towel rail in the bathroom up stairs why?Anyway if there are any plumbers in the varna or dobrich area that would like to give me a quote to sort my heating i would be much greatfull.

Regards Robert
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Here is a couple you can try, the second one is recommended but I don't know about this one. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Julian 0889977161
Back to top Go down
robert bridges

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Blink,
I take it you recommend julian.Is he in my area.If so thanks

Regards Robert
Back to top Go down
Alfie
Junior user
Junior user

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 6:17 pm

robert bridges wrote:
Hi All,
I am looking for some advise.I have a hercules 30b.Its running 12 rads and 2 towel rails.I have tryed burning wood,coal,bricketts and still cant get it above 40'.I am not a plumber but i think it needs a pipe stat as i tryed switching the pump on and off to allow the water to heat up and it ran much hotter.One night i forgot to switch the pump back on and hot water started pouring out the expansion tank fitted to the towel rail in the bathroom up stairs why?Anyway if there are any plumbers in the varna or dobrich area that would like to give me a quote to sort my heating i would be much greatfull.

Regards Robert

Try Otto systems near Metro in Varna. They're pretty good.
I'm guessing you don't have a thermostat controlling your pump. They're cheap and easy to install.
It's a good thing your expansion tank dumped water. No doubt the system overheated (boiled) produced steam and dramatically increased the system pressure. The expansion tank did it's job and prevented an explosion.
I'm no plumber but do have experience with wood burner heating. pm me if you wish, I may be able to point you in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
robert bridges

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks Alfie,
Your right i dont have a thermostat controlling the pump.The bulgarians just told me to switch the pump on when i light the fire.But it seems the fire isent getting a chance to heat the water.I am just trying to find a plumber to sort my problems.Thanks again Alfie .

Regards Robert
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 6:45 pm

You might find that your only problem is not enough air going through the boiler. In any fire you need three basic requirements, ignition, fuel and air. But you are doing the right thing by employing a plumber good luck.
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 6:51 pm

I had a similar problem in a 200 year old cottage where I had a multi-fuel burner, all I did was to fit a pipe stat and problem solved as already said they are very easy to fit but its best in your situation to get a pro in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
robert bridges

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks Netsniperthefirst,
The hercules 30b is a multi-burner.But due to the fact i was very worrried with the noises the system made after i forgot to switch the pump back on i need a pro.The system runs fine as long as the pump is on but its just pumping in and out no time to heat the water...

Regards Robert
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 7:26 pm

All a pipe stat does is hold off the pump until the water has reached a set temp and then it will automatically switch the pump on and off. it also stops you running the pump unnecessarily and possibly burning the pump out. You should get a pro to look at it and perhaps ask them to fit you a pipe stat they don't cost too much either here is 1 type [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... stat-16575
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
Alfie
Junior user
Junior user

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 7:56 am

Hi Again Robert.

Hopefully I've attached a photo of our set up.
The orange thing is the pump thermostat. The silver thing it's attached to is an air bleed valave which operates automatically should the fire's water jacket get any air into it.
The black temperature guage on the right shows me how hot the water is at any one time.
The thermostat is a 'bi-metal strip' housed in a plastic case. The adjustment dial is marked in degrees but experience says the dial settings aren't that accurate, hence the additional temperature guage.
Good luck.

(Right click on the pic with the mouse and select view picture.It's a big file so be patient)

Back to top Go down
robert bridges

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi Alfie
Thanks for taking the time to do that is kind of you.I have phoned Julian a few times today but he hasn't answer his phone I will try later.
Regards Robert
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Well we might all think that the time to check you boiler flue is in the Spring or early fall. But don't forget to check that the chimney is clear at this time of year as well. I checked mine today only to find the flue was slightly blocked needing sorting. So a good idea to check me thinks heating problems 1536469901
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Good advice Tony and not before time luckily I have had mine cleaned ready for the winter heating problems 2581928987
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

heating problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: heating problems   heating problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

heating problems

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1