View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Some tips for living in Bulgaria   Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

I thought I would start this topic off and get you all to add your own tips. A lot people are choosing to relocate to property in Bulgaria, as they are attracted to the mild climate, gorgeous beaches, and cheaper cost of living. Although Bulgaria is a beautiful place to live, there are always challenges when moving to a new country. a lot of people find that they feel lonely, out of place, or confused after such a big move, even though they are relocating to such a beautiful place. Moving can be emotionally and psychologically stressful, but there are ways that you can prepare yourself so that you will handle the transition with ease and enjoy your new life in Bulgaria.

Here are some tips of mine
Knowing the local language is not only helpful when you buy and sell property in Bulgaria, but it will also give you a huge advantage when you are integrating into your new life in Bulgaria. Also, learning about it in advance will get you mentally prepared for the move well before you leave. It will take many years to become fluent, so don’t get stressed if you can’t speak it very well at first. Instead, focus on learning a few key phrases and words that you can use in everyday conversation. This will help you make friends with the local people, and as you are exposed to the language you will eventually learn it very well and that knowledge will help you have a greater understanding of your surroundings. Although you are enjoying your new home in Bulgaria, it is important to keep in touch with your friends and family back home. There are lots of cheap and easy ways of keeping connect, such as free webcam chats on Skype, frequent emails, or sharing photos on Facebook. These connections are valuable and they will help you feel grounded and will be a support network for you if you ever need help. Why not invite your dearest loved ones to come stay with you in your new home in Bulgaria? They would love the trip, and it will make you feel more at home. If we move somewhere new with the expectation that it will be exactly the same as our old home, we will be disappointed when, of course, it isn’t. Focusing on what Bulgaria doesn’t have is a sure-fire way to be unhappy there. However, if you approach the new location with an open mind and no expectations, it will pleasantly surprise you. Make no assumptions about Bulgaria, only that it will be different than what you are used to. With this attitude, you will realise what is wonderful about Bulgaria and you will fall in love with your new home.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

PostSubject: Re: Some tips for living in Bulgaria   Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 12:16 am

To be honest I can't remember a time when this happened, I think so long as you keep your food store full over the winter period you should be fine, the only time that you could have problems is if the snowfall was so great they your town or village was cut off this is more likely to be a village but this happens rarely these days.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Some tips for living in Bulgaria   Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 5:58 am

We had a few days last year when the bread van couldn't get through to deliver to the shops. However, we had a couple of loaves in the freezer, so didn't cause us many problems. Also, although the snow was over a meter deep, I could still manage to walk up into town and all the shops were still open as if it was middle of summer (albeit without bread on a few occasions)!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Some tips for living in Bulgaria   Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 4:46 pm

As usual, it so depends where you live, but generally speaking, the winters aren't that bad and its unlikely that villages get cut off. Having said that, a couple of years ago there was an unusually heavy snowfall in the Elena region in central Bulgaria and a helicopter did have to drop supplies in! Tourists were taken by surprise and it was quite a bad situation. Elena is in the Stara Planina region about 19 kms from our village but we had no problems as we are in a valley between the mountains. Have to say that this was very unusual but its better to be prepared and stock up with everything that has been mentioned.
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Re: Some tips for living in Bulgaria   Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Great topic and very informative I'm looking forward to reading more if anyone has more to add Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 3023850720
Back to top Go down
fruitlover
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Some tips for living in Bulgaria   Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Yes thankyou indeed for starting this topic and thanks to everyone who has added their tips! Can I ask for suggestions how and where to learn a bit of the language before coming? Is there a favourite phrase book? One to avoid? A CD course or anything?

So many questions I'd like to ask - everyone says picking the "
Right"
place is important, and that obviously this is different depending on what you want. If I listed what I hope for, would any of you be kind enough (do I mean brave enough) to point me in a possible right direction? I hope to make Bulgarian friends, but it would still be nice to have a kindred spirit within reach to chew the fat with now and then!
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Some tips for living in Bulgaria   Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 7:49 am

You can try an internet course called Transparent Language, there is also the English - Bulgarian Dictionary. I did buy a CD based thing but to be honest no good. The best way to learn Bulgarian is to mimic and ask the Bulgarians. Hope this little bit of info is a start for you. g
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Some tips for living in Bulgaria   Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 8:09 am

It would be a very good idea Fruitlover to list all your needs regarding the choice of village and area. Don't be afraid to post, it will help others about to take the plunge and help us all out here to help you. Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 3356871870
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Some tips for living in Bulgaria   Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 5:37 pm

scott wrote:
Great topic and very informative I'm looking forward to reading more if anyone has more to add Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 3023850720

Yes, you are right scott this is great topic. I have started making a list of things I need for any forthcoming winter in Bulgaria. After reading the informative replies on this post my list is now pretty lengthy and just stops short of a helicopter to get out in an emergency!!

g g g
Back to top Go down
therowfamily
Super user
Super user
therowfamily

PostSubject: Re: Some tips for living in Bulgaria   Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Just a thought I wonder if we could put together a to do list? something like. Register company at bureau, and at municipality, Register vehicle and trailer with Kat and municipality change ownership at Electric Co, Telephone and water, find a good accountant. do not pay exorbitant amounts to estate agents, this is just a very small list and list can go on and on but I'm sure you can all think of things that need doing . Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 3356871870
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some tips for living in Bulgaria   Some tips for living in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some tips for living in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3