The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Empty
PostSubject: The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????   The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 3:05 pm

I was asked today "
what is the current cost of living in Bulgaria for a couple who are not extravagant"
I couldn't answer the question completely except to say that it is getting to be more expensive than it was? so over to all of you for your thoughts on the cost of living in Bulgaria now and the future.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
loopeylou
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????   The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 3:16 pm

I think that with the rate of exchange you get,your money does,nt seem to go as far as it did,it is still cheaper living here than in the uk,electric bills are probably our biggest outlay,as they vary from one month to the next,put it this way by the time we have been shopping and payed bills there is not much change left from 400 levs.
Back to top Go down
botev
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????   The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 3:22 pm

Up to two years ago it was fabulous, but this was mainly due to personal circumstance of being employed from the uk and sent here. Since the pound dropped my wallet started to float rather than sink!!

However since i havent been working from a uk employer i can say the cost of living is quite expensive, again i do strongly believe it really does depend on personal circumstance. For a local and average wage it is a real struggle! For a pensioner from the uk living here in my opionion live better than what they would in uk financially??? so i have been told by many of those that do live here and take a pension from the uk!

To generalise i think it is more expensive than it was. And yes the life in Bulgaria is more challenging by the day! But hey we cant have it all when we got sun and sea and skiing and snow!!! :) :) that will do for me
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????   The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 5:06 pm

The cost of living all depends on your own status.

Basically you live to what you earn. It is true that in Bulgaria you can live to a better standard but you will need to live the Bulgarian way. That is buy the things that are in season and store them. Then use when required.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????   The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 6:02 pm

in comparison to the uk, some running costs are cheaper. my municipality tax was 22 lev for the year ( a tenner) while my daughter pays 120 pounds per month .

I dont find electric too expensive and i have many appliances including cooker, over the year it works out at 10 pounds per week. no wood burning.

good deal on communication package trio, 40 levs per month.

sky tv on sling box after box outlay nil.

I do find food is expensive and materials for jobs far too expensive. restaurants are expensive for what you get.
I cannot think of anymore just now.
Back to top Go down
botev
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????   The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 6:13 pm

See i dont restaurants at all expensive except for resorts!!! I guess it depends where your eating Starlite.....as for electricity i find that expensive too????? as for tax and stuff i agree and food in supermarkets yes in some it is ridiculous although i can say this is beginning to change with the likes of carrefour!!! As for tv and stuff yes a iagree it isnt expensive ... even if its indivivually priced.....

My area restaurants are really well priced that is a shocker to me starlite!! :) Back to elecy though i must point out there is alot of corruption with bills regarding electricity here!!! You need to be right careful!!!
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????   The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 7:06 pm

too right with electric, we had bills varying month to month, we complained until eventually they came and took the meter away, my bills dropped from 400 levs to 70 levs. paying for the whole village i think. no problems since.

I dont mind going out for lunch, but i find evening meals poor quality and expensive and not much of it either.
Back to top Go down
Bigdog
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????   The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 pm

I think costs must vary by the area our electric averages 40Lv (£18) per month in winter and 30Lv (£13-50p) in summer, that's for a three up three down house, about half our UK bill.
Eating out in the evening two of us with a drink each normally 20Lv, a lunchtime baked potato or similar plus coffee for two about half that. Supermarket shop about 100Lv a week but that includes meat, milk, bread and pet food(lots!) Even fuel is not too bad, diesel currently 2Lv/litre (90p-much better than UK) So I reckon still good value compared to UK even though I remember when we were getting 2.85Lv to the pound as opposed to 2.15 now.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????   The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 5:55 am

You may find this of interest:

[url=http:
//www.
questbg.
com/en/legal-and-finance/finance/1152-bulgaria-cost-living-2009:2peeqhhl][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This gives a comparison of costs for a full shopping trolley of goods in BG vs UK.

Also a breakdown of our entirely monthly expenditure for services, medication, car, insurance, etc.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
borntolaze
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????   The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 8:03 am

Loupylou wrote:
I think that with the rate of exchange you get,your money does,nt seem to go as far as it did,it is still cheaper living here than in the uk,electric bills are probably our biggest outlay,as they vary from one month to the next,put it this way by the time we have been shopping and payed bills there is not much change left from 400 levs.
Hi Loupylou...Is that 400 levs per week?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????   The cost of living in Bulgaria ??????? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The cost of living in Bulgaria ???????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1