HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

altText
altText
altText
altText
altText
altText

Share | 
 

 Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Blink
Super user
Super user
avatar

Posts : 909
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:45 pm

There is somewhere between 50 and 250,000 Brits, who bought houses in the very villages that the Bulgarians wanted to get away from, Suspicious...... very suspicious. Some Bulgarians quickly found an explanation for this odd conduct. “The people who come here are poor!. They can’t manage in the UK and therefore their own country’s active policy is to encourage their emigration!. Their own country can’t deal with them so they pass the problem on to us!. We’ve become a dumping ground – we’ve gathered here all second-hand cars in Europe and now we’re gathering all indigent British people. The expats think they have chanced upon a sort of earthly paradise? Compared to Bulgaria, Spain, which is its major competitor for “a place in the sun,” looks like an upper circle of hell. Low property prices and quality of life are only the first in a succession of reasons to choose Bulgaria. What matters for them is the Bulgarian climate, scenery, the chance to mingle in the local community and the quiet. All this makes the British feel good. “In the UK you do not know your neighbors and your community is fragmented and broken. There is a community in Bulgaria.” Life in Bulgaria is attractively similar to that in Britain before Margaret Thatcher. “It’s like we’ve turned back time in a way. Making things I used to make some 30 years ago. I’ve made my own pickles, which I haven’t done for years.”
Hospitality, which contrary to what you see in the cities, has not disappeared in the villages, is the greatest merit of the Bulgarians, the expatriates think. The British are usually bowled over by the apples, eggs, cheese, milk and other foods that their Bulgarian neighbors give them without expecting anything in return. To realise some of the advantages that British expats find in Bulgaria even the staunchest of Bulgarian patriots will have to do some hard thinking. The Britons like the public health system (though they think hospital conditions are bad) and are satisfied with the level of education (apart from school children's poor discipline). They can leave their houses unlocked. Organised crime does not bother them: “Does a mafia really exist in Bulgaria?” And – oh, yes! The police are great! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] On the whole, the advantages of Bulgaria seem to largely outnumber its drawbacks. Do the local authorities create a special micro environment for the expats in an attempt to attract us and the money they bring to the poor rural communities? I don’t think they regard us as big investors, so they hardly treat them in a special way, I asked my mayor for his opinion and he replied with “We are happy that they are there because they are unusual and a status symbol for the village: ‘Look, the British settle here."


So now you tell me your views even if you live in a town or city. T
Back to top Go down
GinaA
Senior user
Senior user
avatar

Posts : 176
Join date : 2009-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:05 pm

:Good post:All of our neighbors that we’ve met so far have been very welcoming. Our neighbors opposite got their nephew to come and help us chop out 6 cubic meters of wood which very nice of them (and him!). He spent three and a half hours chainsawing away for us without asking anything in return so he was very grateful for the freshly baked bread and Rakiya we gave him. There is of course a certain amount of suspicion of foreigners which we had expected but on the whole I would say it is more welcoming moving to rural Bulgaria than being an outside in a small farming village in say Somerset! We baked our neighbors opposite some bread to say thank you and they turned up the next day with a bag of fruit and some fresh milk thicker then I have ever seen! There is a really sense of community as well. We may be getting an easier ride - I think most people are inclined to give a hand to people with a small kid who look like they need help but I think the hospitality and community spirit would still be there even without a child. When we first came to view our house we tried a number of times to walk the three miles to the closest town. But people kept pulling over offering us a lift! We tried to walk there three times but there (and back) ended up getting a lift from some kind person who stopped to help us out.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user


Posts : 2150
Join date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:41 pm

You know when you are truly accepted in Bulgaria when something tragic happens to disrupt your life and how your friends and neighbors rally round. We had the misfortune to have a call from one of our daughters on the 31 December that we should return to the UK as our grandaughter was desperately ill (she died on 1st Jan) just 3 years of age.

We left in such a rush that we left our garage open and the car port gates wide open Our friends made sure they were secure once they had noticed. They even checked that the house was secure as when we left we did not check anything. The Hotel that we stay in, in Sofia made sure we had a place to rest that night before our flight on 1st Jan (Hotel Consul). It is custom in Bulgaria that when a family member dies that the male does not shave for a period of time. My mate has not shaved since our baby girl died as a measure of respect.

This may be a distraction from the original post but I think that this shows how that once you are accepted that you are truly loved in this Country.

_________________
Cast off all care, inhale fresh air.
Back to top Go down
GinaA
Senior user
Senior user
avatar

Posts : 176
Join date : 2009-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:52 pm

First of all Tony please accept my sincere condolences this is a terrible thing to happen especially at such a young age.

You are completely right in all you say about being accepted and its something I still have trouble getting my head around which is why is it that my own country isn't the same.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
avatar

Posts : 1194
Join date : 2009-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
There is somewhere between 50 and 250,000 Brits, who bought houses in the very villages that the Bulgarians wanted to get away from, Suspicious...... very suspicious. Some Bulgarians quickly found an explanation for this odd conduct. “The people who come here are poor!. They can’t manage in the UK and therefore their own country’s active policy is to encourage their emigration!. Their own country can’t deal with them so they pass the problem on to us!. We’ve become a dumping ground – we’ve gathered here all second-hand cars in Europe and now we’re gathering all indigent British people. The expats think they have chanced upon a sort of earthly paradise? Compared to Bulgaria, Spain, which is its major competitor for “a place in the sun,” looks like an upper circle of hell. Low property prices and quality of life are only the first in a succession of reasons to choose Bulgaria. What matters for them is the Bulgarian climate, scenery, the chance to mingle in the local community and the quiet. All this makes the British feel good. “In the UK you do not know your neighbors and your community is fragmented and broken. There is a community in Bulgaria.” Life in Bulgaria is attractively similar to that in Britain before Margaret Thatcher. “It’s like we’ve turned back time in a way. Making things I used to make some 30 years ago. I’ve made my own pickles, which I haven’t done for years.”
Hospitality, which contrary to what you see in the cities, has not disappeared in the villages, is the greatest merit of the Bulgarians, the expatriates think. The British are usually bowled over by the apples, eggs, cheese, milk and other foods that their Bulgarian neighbors give them without expecting anything in return. To realise some of the advantages that British expats find in Bulgaria even the staunchest of Bulgarian patriots will have to do some hard thinking. The Britons like the public health system (though they think hospital conditions are bad) and are satisfied with the level of education (apart from school children's poor discipline). They can leave their houses unlocked. Organised crime does not bother them: “Does a mafia really exist in Bulgaria?” And – oh, yes! The police are great! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] On the whole, the advantages of Bulgaria seem to largely outnumber its drawbacks. Do the local authorities create a special micro environment for the expats in an attempt to attract us and the money they bring to the poor rural communities? I don’t think they regard us as big investors, so they hardly treat them in a special way, I asked my mayor for his opinion and he replied with “We are happy that they are there because they are unusual and a status symbol for the village: ‘Look, the British settle here."


So now you tell me your views even if you live in a town or city. T



where on earth did you get this from Blink....what a crock of "
you know what "



Tony60 ..my sincere condolences and to your family
Back to top Go down
Chris
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 2299
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 55

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
First of all Tony please accept my sincere condolences
.

Agreed. Sincere condolonces Tony. Absolutely dreadful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 6136
Join date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:45 pm

There is never anything anyone can say at a time like this Tony that seems right, I can only offer you my condolences and thoughts .

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]



Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Scunnered
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 792
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 57

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:04 pm

So sorry to hear your bad news Tony.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
avatar

Posts : 2263
Join date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:07 pm

First of all let me echo the thought of the posters above Tony

As many will know we do not live full time in Bulgaria and we didn't buy to make a quick buck. I travelled Bulgaria for over a year before we decided to purchase with some money left to my wife after her fathers death. It was bought so that she had something to remember him by
Many will also remember the torrid time we had when having our beautiful villa stolen and the fight we had to get it back. We could have walked away from it all, but we didn't and to this day we are getting much pleasure from it and from the villagers and friends we have made
There is Dimo from Shumen who looks after all our finances including paying our bills and our Solicitor dealings. Tanya and Plamen from Dobrich who are our house keepers and keep the villa up to a high standard. Galin our gardener and his wife Svetislava who came to Gran Canaria with us last year to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Varnagirl who has been a great help and a true friend supporting us along with her friends and contacts in Dobrich Court and plenty more who have been by our side when we have needed support
Veronica and Mitko. Veronica was the young lady who was working for Switch-homes in Varna and sold us the villa eight years ago.

I would now like to share with you all an email we had from her to celebrate my wife's birthday two day's ago

Dear Bryan and Sheila,

We want to say a very warm "
HAPPY BIRTHDAY"
to my lovely UK mom! From all our hearts, Mitko and I wish you love and joy and many pleasant surprises! We are sending you very special hugs and kisses and we wish you a lovely day!

Always remember that in Bulgaria there are two people who love you so much and who are thankful that our paths have crossed! We hope that no matter the distance you can feel our support and affection!

Have a lovely day and remember us to Danny and Liz!
Love and our best wishes,

Veronica and Mitko

How lovely is that folks !!!!!!!!!!! ::
Back to top Go down
therowfamily
Super user
Super user
avatar

Posts : 529
Join date : 2010-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:08 pm

Well said willow just as in all parts of the world there are good and bad and my experience in Bg has been good from day 1 which is not to say it will always be like that, I have been here 9 years now and I have seen many come and go but that doesn't always mean its a reflection of how it is here? No sometimes its a case of 'its not for me' I love it here and don't even see myself living anywhere else. Great post Blink and I do see how you have written it and what your saying.
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
avatar

Posts : 381
Join date : 2013-01-26
Age : 69
Location : West Midlands, UK

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:18 am

Quote :
They can leave their houses unlocked.
I really do mean no malice but if people have nothing worth stealing then maybe there is no need to lock ones doors, hence all the security measures that expats go to to secure their properties because, 'maybe' it's just a bit, but they do have something worth stealing.

So called mafia is not that much difference than some of the street gangs we have had in the UK.
Although we do not have 'No-Go' areas, but we do have areas that people would be silly to try stealing from simply because if caught I wouldn't like to think what the consequences would be, something about don't steal from a thief etc etc.....

As for people leaving their doors open here in the UK, well those days are long gone, it's even been reported of signs saying things like ''There is nothing worth stealing in this property, it all already been stolen ..... 4 times'' and guess what the next thing that got stolen was the actual sign.

But the one thing that can never truly be stolen is the love and kindness people can both give and receive that is sometimes worth more than anyone can understand.

_________________
If it ain't broke, then I think I can soon fix it!
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
avatar

Posts : 1194
Join date : 2009-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:42 am

Quote :
So called mafia is not that much difference than some of the street gangs we have had in the UK.


OMG   ,  "
so called "
I cant believe someone said that... Shark Beemmeup
Back to top Go down
oddball
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 7309
Join date : 2009-10-20
Age : 60

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:25 pm

I am only a newcomer to BG we have lived here for 10 months first impressions are we love it here, the people make all the difference, if it were not for our elderly friends who now consider themselves as our extended family, our experience here would be totally different.

_________________
Berni & Dougie [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
avatar

Posts : 2267
Join date : 2010-09-10
Age : 62
Location : Paskalevets

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I am only a newcomer to BG we have lived here for 10 months first impressions are we love it here, the people make all the difference, if it were not for our elderly friends who now consider themselves as our extended family, our experience here would be totally different.

The same could be said for us as well, our friend Bernard is always cooking food and inviting us to his home to eat. The only down side is drinking his Rakia and then his Vino, not a good mix when we are struggling to walk home!

Back to top Go down
oddball
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 7309
Join date : 2009-10-20
Age : 60

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I am only a newcomer to BG we have lived here for 10 months first impressions are we love it here, the people make all the difference, if it were not for our elderly friends who now consider themselves as our extended family, our experience here would be totally different.

The same could be said for us as well, our friend Bernard is always cooking food and inviting us to his home to eat.  The only down side is drinking his Rakia and then his Vino, not a good mix when we are struggling to walk home!


   

Drunk Yep you can get a little bit tom tissed than Itchy  

_________________
Berni & Dougie [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria   

Back to top Go down
 

Your thoughts on living in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

 Similar topics

-
» Camping/Outdoor Living Shows.
» grafting thoughts...?
» A few ideas from "Living on a Dime"
» Some frugal tips from Living on a dime newsletter
» Living grid?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Life in Bulgaria-