altText

BORDER ADVICE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chrisbriggs
Senior user
Senior user

BORDER ADVICE Empty
PostSubject: BORDER ADVICE   BORDER ADVICE Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience of crossing from Bulgaria into Turkey. We are leaving BG in September(to catch a ferry from Greece) and the route my Sat Nav seems to prefer takes me from Bulgaria, along the coastal route, into Turkey then into Greece. I have no problem with this but was just wondering if there are any probs at the Turkish border or are there any charges levied. I only ask because when I used to go to Turkey on holiday I had to pay £10.00 to gain entry into the country. Is it the same for car travellers from BG or was it just another additional charge for British holiday makers.
Thanks
Ray BORDER ADVICE 794030042
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

BORDER ADVICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BORDER ADVICE   BORDER ADVICE Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 1:54 pm

chrisbriggs wrote:
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience of crossing from Bulgaria into Turkey. We are leaving BG in September(to catch a ferry from Greece) and the route my Sat Nav seems to prefer takes me from Bulgaria, along the coastal route, into Turkey then into Greece. I have no problem with this but was just wondering if there are any probs at the Turkish border or are there any charges levied. I only ask because when I used to go to Turkey on holiday I had to pay £10.00 to gain entry into the country. Is it the same for car travellers from BG or was it just another additional charge for British holiday makers.
Thanks

The visa is £10 and lasts 90 days, if you have one still in date fine, but if not, they will charge you for everyone in the vehicle. Don't forget you are leaving the EU and going into the Turkish Republic, this means that any items that carry tax will be levied against you. Your vehicle details will be stamped onto one persons Passport and only that person can take the car out of the country, no on else can do it. Also the car can only remain in Turkey for six months, if just by chance that plans change while you are going through Turkey, that is their law. When you come back through Turkey the same taxes will apply to any items they deem worthy of charges.
Back to top Go down
chrisbriggs
Senior user
Senior user

BORDER ADVICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BORDER ADVICE   BORDER ADVICE Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi Itchy, thanks for that, I just wanted to be prepared and was unsure about their entry requirements. I will only be in the country for about an hour or so, only as long as it takes to get through to Greece. Anyway, thanks again.
Ray
BORDER ADVICE 794030042
Back to top Go down
chrissybg
Super user
Super user

BORDER ADVICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BORDER ADVICE   BORDER ADVICE Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 3:31 pm

there is no need to go to Turkey through to Greece it will take longer because of the boarder control.
We advise you to go straight to the greek boarder cheeper quicker and much better crossing. Going through the Turkish bit is pointless and unecessary Good luck with your trip and new life hope your dog is OK
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

BORDER ADVICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BORDER ADVICE   BORDER ADVICE Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 5:49 pm

I agree, stay in Bulgaria until you can cross into Greece (both EU countries, much easier)
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
chrisbriggs
Senior user
Senior user

BORDER ADVICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BORDER ADVICE   BORDER ADVICE Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice, I will reset the Sat Nav and make sure we go straight to Greece.
Many thanks people
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

BORDER ADVICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BORDER ADVICE   BORDER ADVICE Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 11:10 pm

If anyone is still thinking of passing through or moving to turkey you will get charged import duty for all and any electrical items (including second hand goods) you are taking with you even though they may be for personal use, if you are lucky you will only have to pay a bond on the goods until you leave the country.

N.B.
You also have to have a written inventory of all the items (and don't be surprised if any go missing during the search) and did I mention the tax on top of the tax to cover any bribes not offered.
And that's just for tourists, god help the expats. BORDER ADVICE 794030042

As said by others, certainly not a route I would chose especially if just passing through.
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

BORDER ADVICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BORDER ADVICE   BORDER ADVICE Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 5:39 am

Don't set your sat-nav to your end destination but do it in stages, that way it wont want to send you an undesired route, i assume your heading for Svilengrad first, when you cross the boarder into Greece you can change the destination again, tho the road signs are good without sat-nav use.
Back to top Go down
chrisbriggs
Senior user
Senior user

BORDER ADVICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BORDER ADVICE   BORDER ADVICE Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 7:32 am

Again folks, thanks for the tips and advice, really really helpful
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BORDER ADVICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BORDER ADVICE   BORDER ADVICE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BORDER ADVICE

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1