Automated electronic border

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Automated electronic border Empty
PostSubject: Automated electronic border   Automated electronic border Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 5:20 pm

[size=55:3g9rnig0]BNR

First automated electronic border control checkpoints unveiled at Sofia Airport

The first four Schengen-typed automated border control checkpoints in Bulgaria were opened at the Sofia Airport. Now this country has already one of the latest border control systems around the globe, meeting the highest criteria of the EU and the Schengen Area.
The e-checkpoints, also called gates are installed now at Terminal II and those check within seconds passports and documents with biometric data. All citizens of the EU, the European Economic Area and Switzerland, aged over 18, arriving at the Sofia Airport and owning such documents can now use the advantages of the new system. However, it is a flexible one and can be adjusted later for passengers from other countries. “Thus we will improve the security along the EU’s external border,” Bulgarian Deputy PM and Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov stated at the unveiling ceremony.

“The electronic checkpoints guarantee that no individuals with fake documents, registered in the Schengen Information System /SIS/ will be allowed in this country. The checkpoints can check the biometric data in the passport, scan and recognize the individual in real time via the databases of the interior ministry and SIS. The project amounts to EUR 286,000, supplied by the EU External Borders Fund. We do intend to continue absorbing the money under this fund with the idea the security of the external border to be improved. Currently there is a contest going on for the building of the Green Border integrated system, worth EUR 19 mln. for 100 km of the Bulgarian – Turkish border.”
The new system at the Sofia Airport performs face control and fingerprints registration, via comparison according to more than 30 parameters. The instant comparison photograph is taken by high-tech cameras. At the same time the 4 checkpoints can be operated by a single officer, which saves money. However, the system is very convenient for the passengers too. The so-called promoters provide clear instruction to every passenger, regarding the usage of the checkpoints, which are practically big transparent boxes with a couple of spinning doors. A passenger has to place the passport in the slot of the checkpoint, pressed by his/her fingers from above. Those are scanned and the fingerprints are checked in the databases of the interior ministry and SIS. If everything is OK, the first door opens and lets the person pass through the second, where cameras scan and recognize his/her face. If everything is OK here too, the passenger crosses the border through the second door that has opened in the meantime. However, in case of any doubt the door remains locked and the person has to return to the border police officer for a more detailed check. The 4 checkpoints will work 24/7.

Border Police Directorate’s representative Biser Kostadinov gives us more details:
“Many additional checks are carried out and those remain invisible for the passengers. For instance, a defensive database for the papers’ defensive characteristics. I.e. if the passport has somehow been manipulated, this will be discovered by the police check. Another innovative detail – the person now can be recognized even when he/she wears glasses. Most European gates don’t have that function and signs read there that the person should remove the glasses before the check. At the same time one can pass through the gate for a maximum of 7 seconds, which eases the border control in cases of long queues with passengers from different flights. Those people, who have documents with a chip will be eased.”
The new system is really convenient, especially for EU citizens, arriving in Bulgaria from third countries outside the union, for instance from Moscow. At the same time it optimizes the work of border police officers. A total of 8,000 people have passed through the checkpoints since the beginning of the test period – 30 June 2012. 13 wanted persons have been arrested and many passengers with documents with problems have been registered. Checkpoints of that kind are about to be constructed next year at the Burgas Airport.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Automated electronic border   Automated electronic border Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 6:42 pm

g
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Automated electronic border   Automated electronic border Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 12:16 am

Automated electronic border 3356871870
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Automated electronic border   Automated electronic border Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 11:47 am

We were some of the first to try these when arriving at Sofia a few weeks ago.
My husband got through without a problem, but I got stuck between the two doors!
I was told to try again, but then the door behind me opened but not the one in front.
It then got a bit farcical, and eventually had three passport control officers trying to
get the thing to work! I ended up being ushered through the normal control and a
poor woman apologising profusely to me! I think I'll wait in the queue next time! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Automated electronic border   Automated electronic border Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 2:03 pm

:Good post:Good find Admin. This is the bit that interest me most of all. 13 wanted persons have been arrested and many passengers with documents with problems have been registered. Checkpoints of that kind are about to be constructed next year at the Burgas Airport g
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Automated electronic border   Automated electronic border Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Automated electronic border

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1