View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

What Water Pump do I buy? Empty
PostSubject: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 10:50 pm

We need to buy a water pump in the next few weeks and it is decided that a surface pump will best for us. However, after looking at the selection in Praktiker we have got more confused than ever. Our well water is seven metres from the top, Bernard informs us that it needs to be two metres below the surface of the water, so that means nine metres (following me so far?). So into Praktiker we go and surprise, surprise and the difference between the 7 mtr and the 9 mtr or more is a wacking great pump. Nine metres or more and the bore for the pipe is huge and I guess will have to be reduced for the bigger than usual hose pipe to put in it. The size of the pump is more than double as well with all odd bits stuck all over over it. So has any Forum member got more info about them please, it would really help, a good usuable and economical viable pump would do us just fine.

c c c
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 10:53 pm

We use a submersible and have never had any problems, just make sure you buy a good one.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 5:52 am

I also use a submersible to bring water up from 9.5 or 10 metres..five years with no problems.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 10:04 pm

What I really wanted to know is how many litres an hour should it pump and how many watts should it be? I read some of the details on these pumps but it is mostly in Bulgaski and confusing.

c
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 5:09 am

There are many variables to the equation and most will work ok..where is the water to go?..the house, the garden, lawn sprinklers? Also, how many litres per hour do you need?
Back to top Go down
chrissybg
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 6:33 am

I suggest you borrow a pump and test the well first. Because our well hadn't been used for 4 years the water diverted it's self and we had bought the pump etc and the water never lasts more then 15 minutes and drys up so it's back to the hose and the watering can and water from the tap.
We have tried to restore the well but it has been years now and it hasn't come back What Water Pump do I buy? 794030042
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 9:48 am

bgbazz wrote:
There are many variables to the equation and most will work ok..where is the water to go?..the house, the garden, lawn sprinklers? Also, how many litres per hour do you need?

The depth of the well is 7 metres and then two metres into the water surface for the pipe, this makes it nine metres. It then has to run 20 metres across the garden under the surface on a downward slope, so the pump combined with gravity should take it there no problem and then one metre upwards to a tap and out down a hosepipe. If need be, I will not attach it to the tap because of the metre upwards strain on the pump. It is only for watering our veg plot which is quite large but serviceable, I hope!!
I have no idea how many litres an hour, but enough to water the veg plot would be sufficient, it would only be switched on for 10 mins at the most. I have a shallow hatch about two feet deep near the well for placing the pump and it would be covered by a steel cover therefore reasonably water resistant and obviously the pump would be removed for the winter period because of freezing water problems. So only used in the warmer period for watering the veg plot. I have another shallow hatch the same on the other side of the garden which connects the hosepipe to the tap, so making any alterations to how I run the water is easy. Many thanks for your questions.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 10:12 am

Using the submersible, connected to a inch and a quarter diameter hose, I pump from just over 9 meters, then across about 25 meters of level ground. It attaches to a complex system of half inch dia black pvc piping which then waters everything in the garden..there would be more than 400 meters of the pvc pipes and the pump handles it no problems. My pump stays in the well all year round and only comes out for its annual inspection and clean...been in use now for over four years and never missed a beat. I feed it back down into the well until I feel it touch the bottom, then lift it up about 8'' to keep it out of any sludge..the water is always very clear, although I wouldn't drink it!
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 10:39 am

Further to the above..just remembered that I kept the original box the pump came in and as luck would have it, the handbook was there in it.

It's a Marina (made in Italy), model TF1000...1000watts..maximum head for delivery is 11 meters and its maximum delivery rate is 300 litres per minute through a 1 and a quarter inch pipe or hose (obviously that would be with very little head)..I estimate my flow to be around 60-65 l/min from 9 meters down.

I actually got the pump from Metro in Plovdiv and at the time it cost me the princely sum of 190 leva and 80 stotinki.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 12:37 am

bgbazz wrote:
Further to the above..just remembered that I kept the original box the pump came in and as luck would have it, the handbook was there in it.

It's a Marina (made in Italy), model TF1000...1000watts..maximum head for delivery is 11 meters and its maximum delivery rate is 300 litres per minute through a 1 and a quarter inch pipe or hose (obviously that would be with very little head)..I estimate my flow to be around 60-65 l/min from 9 meters down.

I actually got the pump from Metro in Plovdiv and at the time it cost me the princely sum of 190 leva and 80 stotinki.

Hope this helps.
Good post that point's out the important information that itchyfeet needs.

Just going back to a earlier post, the main problem if you decided to mount the pump on the surface below the metal plates you mention is that it might be prone to the water especially in the rising pie to empty, realistically then each time you go to use it you should then have to prime it (fill the pump with water) or else it will be running dry and in most cases the rising water is also part of the lubrication system, which is also why most pumps burn out if left to run dry, so a submersible stops that from happening, you would also need a 'PULL' type water pump for this situation.

Don't forget there are 'PUSH and also PULL' type pumps.
Also don't forget that the submersible also needs a 'Float switch' attached to stop it working if there is insignificant depth of water.

If you are going to reduce the size of the pipe, then the closer to the pump the better, because it then does not have as much water weight to lift to the surface, therefore you also get a better/higher water flow rate, sometime people without realising this reduce the water pipe at the surface which is wrong and then do not understand why the flow is not very good or as good as they thought it would be.

One thing I don't know about with these pumps (well pumps) is if they are fitted with a automatic pressure switch which stops the pump when it comes under back pressure so only works when the tap is open and therefore back pressure drops allowing the pump to run and then and only then allow the water to be pumped, which is obviously ok providing the water source does not dry up because then the pump would not detect any pressure and would run until it soon burnt-out. (which is why it needs to be constantly submersed by 1 or 2 mtr)
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 4:47 am

Phil, you have hit all the nails squarely on the head..priming a lift pump is often a bit of chore and can be a messy, hit and miss affair. Apart from that, it means you have to walk to well, faff about priming etc before you can even turn it on..with the submersible, a flick of the switch is all it takes. Mine will have a timer fitted shortly, so it will come on and go off whenever I program it to..most of these types have the automatic floating switch these days, so can't run dry.

I share my well with the old couple next door and we've come up with a timetable that suits both of us..I water in the morning and he uses it early evening..he has a big, old lift pump which seems to give hime no end of trouble. I hear him drawing water from the well with his bucket on a rope, swearing and cursing all the while, tries the pump for three or four seconds, repeats the process and if he's lucky he gets a flow! He has a system of pipes and old hoses that he salvaged from the Ark, but he gets the job done..eventually. Me..I just flick the switch outside the door and go back to my coffee.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 8:12 am

Many thanks bazz and phil - your information is invaluable to me and has changed me from a surface pump to a submersible one. I can really see the sense of having one in the water and not having the problem with loading the surface one with water before use and other associated problems. You have proved yet again what a great Forum we have and also our members who are more than happy to share information and to give advice to others in time of need.

So I will now begin searching the usual suppliers for a submersible pump and hopefully will find a pump which will be ideal for our use. The veg garden will certainly be happy with a good dose of water and not a sprinkle from the laker (otherwise known as a watering can in English!) and my aching back from carrying it everywhere in the garden will be much happier as well!!

What Water Pump do I buy? 570106603 What Water Pump do I buy? 570106603 What Water Pump do I buy? 570106603
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 8:34 am

Always welcome my friend..and everyone else. If I can help, I will.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 8:59 am

bgbazz wrote:
Always welcome my friend..and everyone else. If I can help, I will.

Are you out in your tractor with your laptop bazz? My farmer friend in the UK bought a brand new John Deere tractor a few years ago and said that he had a radio and air conditioning in his new acquirement. I said to him that was a bit "
posh,"
to which he replied that using the old one was like being in a greenhouse all day with the sun bearing down on him. Bless him!

What Water Pump do I buy? 570106603 s What Water Pump do I buy? 570106603 s
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 9:09 am

Not today mate..all my plowing and seeding has been done. Sundays I try and reserve for stuff around the house..just finished four hours of workshop tidy and clean out. What are you up to?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Water Pump do I buy?   What Water Pump do I buy? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Water Pump do I buy?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next