Taking a walk...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 12:40 pm

A couple of days ago I took my dog for a walk. A very different walk. I strolled to the top of our little village and decided to follow a track that I had never been down before. It was beautiful. I walked and walked and my dog loved the change. I often prefer the old tracks where the karochkas and horses used to trot down with their bales of hay etc before the modern tarmaced roads took over. However, I had never really walked far down this particular track which, I assume, would end up in the mountains or double back to the main Elena road. I didn't have time or energy to find out if this was true or not. What I did find was a beautiful glade with one of the village streams running though it. It was really magical. I sat with the dog for a few minutes while she puttered in and out of the water. It was really hot and a wonderful relief from the heat under the trees with the tinkling of the stream to lull me. I eventually walked on and noticed that there were electric pylons (although disconnected) so I deduced that there must have once been some houses down the track. A little further on, I saw the remains of a wire fence and behind it a small brick built outhouse. It set me wondering...
Some people obviously lived in this isolated spot years ago. On further inspection I could see huge boulders in places probably the base of a house and also stones poking through the undergrowth which had been an original road. I stood and pondered. In my mind, I was transported back to those old days and thought how wonderful to live so completely isolated with no modern conveniences at all - even no electric. No internet, no phone, just me and my Hero, some animals and plants. I had lived almost like this for a few years in my Greek ruin and never missed even a telephone. Oh to go back in time! People would say, what would you do? Well with no mod cons, the business of just living would be a fulltime job. Handwashing, cooking everything, even bread, and tilling the land. We do more than most nowadays in our lovely Bulgarian home, but I just fantasized about having no humans to upset me or argue with. Just me and my dog and my Hero...
Yes, I know its all a pipe-dream and I do like my lifestyle at present, even spending a few minutes writing this epistle to you all on the forum, but its nice to have a dream isn't it and what a lovely afternoon I had. Even my aches and pains seemed to disappear on the return walk home to tell my Hero who is my soul mate on these matters. s s
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 12:56 pm

Taking a walk... 3356871870

Lovely post oldun and how refreshing that simple things in life can still provide so much pleasure
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Wow that should wake some of us up to what pleasure we can get from a simple walk, its alway the simple things in life that are worth having but most of us never take the time to soak up what is around us. s
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback Chris and Daisy. I just felt like writing about my walk. It was probably inspired by the topic 'Which 4x4?' When I have mentioned about this or that village track to people who own wheels, they often say they had no idea the track mentioned existed or where it went to because they go everywhere in their car. Cars are very useful, as I know being a car driver myself for years. Without one, I have found a new interest in walking with my dog and discovering secret places where I will not meet a single soul. Another thing is that sometimes a village, like ours of Mindya, is much more than just the main road up into the square. If you take a walk you can go all around it, into the mountains or up and down little-known paths where a car could not go - well maybe in a 4x4! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
kevspur

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Loved your post Oldun...as usual.
Looking forward to some good walking experiences ourselves.
Have just contributed to the 4X4 discussion, but rest assured anything within walking distance will be walked!
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 8:39 am

:Thank you:Kevspur.
Back to top Go down
Noddy
Senior user
Senior user
Noddy

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Vitosha is great site to see for everyone who likes walking, hiking, mountain biking ... Paths and springs are spread all over the place so you can't get lost, paths are ok for walking. Getting there is quite easy . It is quite good destination for spending day in the nature. But prepare food, water or any other stuff you need. There is only one small shop in the bottom of the mountain and one restaurant near it. On the way to the top you have only 2-3 springs with water and on the top there is one, hand made fast food barrack. Or something like that. So, the infrastructure as you go up is really bad.That is the only minus, I had a great day, view to the city is amazing and I do recommend going there.
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 5:15 pm

oldun wrote:
A couple of days ago I took my dog for a walk. A very different walk. I strolled to the top of our little village and decided to follow a track that I had never been down before. It was beautiful. I walked and walked and my dog loved the change. I often prefer the old tracks where the karochkas and horses used to trot down with their bales of hay etc before the modern tarmaced roads took over. However, I had never really walked far down this particular track which, I assume, would end up in the mountains or double back to the main Elena road. I didn't have time or energy to find out if this was true or not. What I did find was a beautiful glade with one of the village streams running though it. It was really magical. I sat with the dog for a few minutes while she puttered in and out of the water. It was really hot and a wonderful relief from the heat under the trees with the tinkling of the stream to lull me. I eventually walked on and noticed that there were electric pylons (although disconnected) so I deduced that there must have once been some houses down the track. A little further on, I saw the remains of a wire fence and behind it a small brick built outhouse. It set me wondering...
Some people obviously lived in this isolated spot years ago. On further inspection I could see huge boulders in places probably the base of a house and also stones poking through the undergrowth which had been an original road. I stood and pondered. In my mind, I was transported back to those old days and thought how wonderful to live so completely isolated with no modern conveniences at all - even no electric. No internet, no phone, just me and my Hero, some animals and plants. I had lived almost like this for a few years in my Greek ruin and never missed even a telephone. Oh to go back in time! People would say, what would you do? Well with no mod cons, the business of just living would be a fulltime job. Handwashing, cooking everything, even bread, and tilling the land. We do more than most nowadays in our lovely Bulgarian home, but I just fantasized about having no humans to upset me or argue with. Just me and my dog and my Hero...
Yes, I know its all a pipe-dream and I do like my lifestyle at present, even spending a few minutes writing this epistle to you all on the forum, but its nice to have a dream isn't it and what a lovely afternoon I had. Even my aches and pains seemed to disappear on the return walk home to tell my Hero who is my soul mate on these matters. s s

That was so refreshing to read and inspiring oldun it makes us all think of the simple things that are still left in life and to appreciate what we have and not what we think we need. Taking a walk... 3356871870
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Thank you again Nu2bg. I'm glad I wrote it. I lived a very simple life in Greece on a tiny island after a rather traumatic time. No need to dwell on that but it taught me a lot about how little we really need in life and how we can make do with little money. Admittedly, its a lot easier to do when away from city life and in an idyllic place, although winters weren't very nice with a lot of rain and everything shut! Originally I didn't have a proper toilet and no means of communication. Looking back, I can't believe how I survived and don't remember worrying much - I just got on with it. I found tourist work, met my Hero and the rest is history. I really think it prepared me for life in Bulgaria and taught me to count my blessings. It must be so much harder to come from Britain which is such a different lifestyle. Gosh, I don't mean to preach - apologies. Its just that life seems so much easier without the complications of the baggage that comes with 'progress'.
I did that walk again today and discovered another track which led into a forest but didn't dare to go too far in. This weather is such a bonus even if it does go straight into winter soon. s
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 10:02 am

Thank you for this little story oldun its always good to read something from the heart and I can tell that this is heart felt, next time you go out for a walk perhaps take a camera and add some picture and brig this story to life. Taking a walk... 739492727
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 3:20 pm

I had thought of taking some pics. Will do next time although its supposed to rain tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Today turned out sunny instead of rain although a bit blustery. I therefore decided on the same walk in the woods and have posted a couple of pics. I must say, I also found another glade because, as it was much cooler, I walked faster and completely missed the track to the original one. It was equally beautiful and peaceful with the same tinkling stream and the dog, of course, had to putter and check it out!

Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user
Gimp

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:02 am

Thank you oldun what a lovely read and photo's to boot which always makes it more enjoyable, looking forward to reading more about your days out walking and your thoughts. Taking a walk... 3356871870
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 10:19 am

Thank you for adding the pictures it does help I think when reading something like this because you can really get a feel as to how the writer is feeling and how they see things which is always different. Thank you oldun. T
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user
Gimp

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Oldun any more walking recently with and better still more photographs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Taking a walk... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking a walk...   Taking a walk... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taking a walk...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next