altText

Two Little Black Lambs!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Scunnered
Scunnered

Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Two Little Black Lambs!   Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 12:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Very excited today as our sheep Penka gave birth to twins! One male one female.
Both black with a little white patch on their heads. So cute.
However, do we name them or not? One will be destined to breed from, the other for the pot!
Why do baby animals look so sweet?! This is going to be very hard. c
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Two Little Black Lambs!   Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 6:50 am

Be practical you live in Bulgaria be Bulgarian g. They are lovely as lambs but life is about survival :Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 1931734156:
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Two Little Black Lambs!   Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 6:54 am

We have now named them. Aggie and Petchka Pete!!
But can we actually kill and eat him when the time comes? Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 927475117
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Two Little Black Lambs!   Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Ah diddles!! how lovely
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Two Little Black Lambs!   Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 11:00 am

Just an update on the lambs.

Petchka Pete is now in the freezer! The deed was done this morning. Apparently he was killed very quickly so I'm grateful for that.
Little point in having the animals if we're not prepared to eat them. Although he was very tame, he was not a pet. c
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Two Little Black Lambs!   Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 11:44 am

At least you know he had a good life. I would suggest you keep the prime cuts for when you are used to the idea that this is not your named lamb, just a well reared meal!

We are planning to rear chickens for the table, but as I am a veggie this will not affect me. (I am a cook ,and do cook meat) But I like chickens and was very fond of mine, so there will be two lots. Mr Eq's pure bred project flock of dual purpose birds, and my (hopefully) local egg layers who will probably die of old age. We are, long term, wanting a couple of goats, which will mean progeny for the freezer. This will depend on whether the local shepherd/goatherd is reliable.....I have heard a few horror stories about their "
care"
of their charges in other areas!

Interestingly, Mr Eq does not eat supermarket lamb any more, since being stuck behind wagon of sheep who were very stressed as the temperature was high and the sheep were reaching through the slats for air. We shall see.

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Two Little Black Lambs!   Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Equinus wrote:
We are, long term, wanting a couple of goats, which will mean progeny for the freezer. This will depend on whether the local shepherd/goatherd is reliable.....I have heard a few horror stories about their "
care"
of their charges in other areas! Mrs Eq

I see the goat person/shepherd wandering around our village every day, two sisters are the goat people and they take good care of them. They usually take around 15 together and they are all loose except for the big fella that has a head collar and rope attached to him. I assume this is to form some prevention from attacking and nutting anything that is reach of his big horns, especially me when I am walking my big dogs!!! Ouch . . . what was that!!

Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 570106603 Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 1865348797
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Two Little Black Lambs!   Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Our sheep and goat go out with the shepherd every day, except in the snow and torrential rain.
He is very good with them, but is now in his 70's, so not sure what will happen when he retires!
He takes out approx 100 sheep and goats daily. Not bad at all! g
4 leva per animal monthly.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Two Little Black Lambs!   Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 2:04 pm

One hobby my wife enjoys is incubating and raising chickens..does it fairly small time with usually 60 or 70 results which either end up being swapped around the village or in the freezer. The upside is that we always have plenty of real, free range eggs for our table..she has a market stall owner in the city who almost begs her for eggs and that lady ends up with the surplus. And it is kind of nice to be able to make a 12 egg omelete to be eaten with a fresh, homegrown green salad for brunch on Sundays.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two Little Black Lambs!   Two Little Black Lambs! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two Little Black Lambs!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2