View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 35 ... 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

Winters here at last. - Page 68 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 8:58 am

Well our Fergie the jeep is out of the garage now she started first time not been used for a few weeks. Will try to get to town for supplied today but getting up to the gates and up the road might prove very difficult indeed.

Stay safe VG not worth trying to get out if you can get a taxi life is much better, unfortunately no taxi in our area bus goes to town at 7.15 and returns at 5.15 so a long day to hang around for the bus, you would think winter would be a better time to put the extra bus at 1.15 on instead of summer.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 9:00 am

If you like VWs like I do, hunt around for the 4Motion variation...I've got one and the snow presents no problems until it gets over 30cms deep.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 9:04 am

As long as you are safe and warm VG, that is the main thing. As for driving, we went to Scotland for New Year and after 60 years of driving without any mishaps we had a small prang, I put my brakes on and gently slid into the car in front, damage to bumper and lights but still drivable Angry Hot
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 12:53 pm

We managed to dig away the mountain of snow from the front of the garage to the gateway and also outside so now it is nice and clear.  Then we took Fergie out and she cleared a pathway up the roadway until we got to the top and got stuck as the plough had pilled all the snow at our roadway enterance, luckly for us another jeep was visiting the village and they stopped to help dig us out then Fergie took over again so several times up and down the roadway and now we have access to the main roadway, so tomorrow we can go to Silistra as we are expecting even more snow on Tuesday.

Stay safe everyone, Glad you are both ok Willow. H

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by oddball on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Now you can see how Fergie got her name. g
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 1:50 pm

justbazz wrote:
Now you can see how Fergie got her name. g

Oh yes she is one tough girl g H love here
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Tough is a good way to describe her....I've driven her from the city up to the farm in deep snow (the deepest was up to the bottom of the doors for about 18kms) and never had to back off for another try! The Nissan was even better, but it was also almost a ton heavier, which made it a bit more capable. The Golf is probably the best of both worlds...very fast, super comfy and extra economical in dry, warm conditions, and not all that different (except for the speed factor) in the current conditions. Being a bit of a pedantic sort of bloke (with nothing better to do), I keep a record of everything to do with mileage, fuel costs, service and repair outlays etc. and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my average looking little VW TDI Estate 4Motion (that's a diesel powered, 4WD for those who might be unfamiliar) has returned 67mpg for the entire year...a tad over 10,000 kms. I can't whinge about those figures!

The big thing is the 4WD capability...in this country, I would not be without one, especially if you live here all year round.

Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 12:12 am

Managed to get to Silsitra today but must admit our road we cleared was like a sheet of ice very scary indeed. The main roads were clear. It got colder throughout the day so by the time we got back for Silsitra we could almost skate all the way down the hill to our gate. That's it Fergie is tucked up nice and warm now and won't come out for another few weeks. Just been outside to the balcony to get wood and there is about 4" of snow fell since early evening. So may be snowed in again. Winters here at last. - Page 68 2345823347
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 12:52 am

oddball wrote:
Managed to get to Silsitra today but must admit our road we cleared was like a sheet of ice very scary indeed. The main roads were clear. It got colder throughout the day so by the time we got back for Silsitra we could almost skate all the way down the hill to our gate.  That's it Fergie is tucked up nice and warm now and won't come out for another few weeks.  Just been outside to the balcony to get wood and there is about 4" of snow fell since early evening.  So may be snowed in again. Winters here at last. - Page 68 2345823347
See you are burning the midnight oil again. Glad you got to Silistra and hope you got well stocked up snowing
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 9:23 am

T Willow, yes all safe and snug now ready for the next lot, we had about 4" of snow fall throughout the night so not so bad.  I cleared a paths and the roof on the woodshed so all ok now.  hope we don't get any more power cuts, went off for about 20 mins this morning, but we are prepared all the candles are set in place.

I very rarely see my bed before 2am and up again at 7 to 7.30 don't need much sleep and now with nothing to occupy my mind need even less Winters here at last. - Page 68 794030042

Speaking of candles I was very surprised with the heat you get from candles. When we had no electricty for 4 days I used the candles all the time. I also put them in the bathrooms near the pipes and kept a few of them lit all the time and the heat kept the pipes from freezing up.  g   We also found some Bulgarian mats our Australian friend gave us and we put them upstairs in the landing and in the kitchen I am really surprised how they keep the place warm too.  I am so used to tiled floors in the UK and laminate here in BG I forgot what carpet felt like, but I must admit I do not like carpet but with these big Bulgarian mats we can take them out again in the summer and pressure wash them read for next year.
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Keep warm folks and stay safe Winters here at last. - Page 68 2581928987
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 1:23 pm

More snowing today
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Same here! Spent over 3 hours shovelling snow today...just to get to the car. Hot
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 7:34 pm

Winters here at last. - Page 68 3998065313 Winters here at last. - Page 68 3998065313
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 68 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winters here at last.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 68 of 70Go to page : Previous  1 ... 35 ... 67, 68, 69, 70  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The weather wherever you are ?-