What can you Remember from the Past

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 am

First topic message reminder :

Something light hearted :What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 3897195628: What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 2345823347 What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 3998065313 . In one of my day dreaming moments I suddenly thought of my days at the GPO and some of the things that were around in those days like:-

Izal Toilet Rolls
Green soap with bits in.
Carbolic soap
Swarfega

Can you add to the list?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
miss happy
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Sweet tobacco, Chocolate splodge tart ( toothpaste tart in some areas)= at school, fruit flavored blocks you could eat as they were or drop them in water as a drink, Eating all my prunes and stone on my first day at my new school as i was told that you get told off if you left anything.
Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Moon dust What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 3356871870
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 pm

My Granny had an outside larder before she got a fridge. It was a small cupboard on the wall
with a mesh covered door. :shock:
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Scunnered wrote:
My Granny had an outside larder before she got a fridge. It was a small cupboard on the wall
with a mesh covered door. :shock:

My Mum had a larder with the cold slab in it. Can anyone remember Merry Maid toffees. Mivi ice cream lollies. Lemon Ice. Tooth rot [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 9:53 pm

g g Green shield stamps had to collect 100's of books to get one item What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 2381841692 boy did we have fun licking and pasting
Back to top Go down
Andy
Super user
Super user
Andy

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 11:08 am

Spangles I use to get them on the way to school and I loved them H
Back to top Go down
berylc

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 12:32 pm

Embassy cigarette cards. Similar to green shield stamps. Saved hundreds of them to buy a set of pyrex dishes for my bottom drawer
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 3:31 pm

:Howdy:I can't remember much about what I did or where I was yesterday, But I can remember very vividly much about the war years

I was born in Sevenoaks, Kent in 1939. In 1943. I can remember sirens going and bombing going on all around us. My Mum and me were sheltering under the dining room table when there was an almighty explosion, a house 100yds away had been bombed and our house and all the other houses in the road had their windows and doors blown in, but I still went to Nursery School the next day.
Off I went on my three wheeled bike, short grey trousers and lunch bag which was usually a marmite sandwich and if I was lucky an apple. The distance from our shattered home to the school (head mistress was Miss Goose) was about one mile and I alway's went on my own, can you imagine that happening today

In the spring of 1944 my Mum and me were evactuated to Everchreech in Somerset and I can remember getting the one bus a week at 10am to Weston-super-mare for the weeks groceries (and we didn't need a large Tesco's bag for that) The bus, a single decker painted green and yellow, with a long bonnet and wooden seats returned at 4pm that same day. Having had a holiday in Malta a few years back I think I reconised the bus as it must have been sold to them

We did not stay in the house in Everchreech very long so we moved on to a friends house on the hill over looking Brixham Harbour where we stayed until the war was over when we returned to Sevenoaks where I saw my Dad for only the second time in my short war-time life

The high light of my return was to go back to school there and every week-end go up on the bridge at Sevenoaks Station and watch the Golden Arrow speed through the station. I can remember it very well with it's Union Jack and French flags on the front of the engine

My final memories prior to leaving Sevenoaks to move to the Reading area was to go every Saturday morning with my threepenny piece to the local cinerma (known as the flee pit) for the childrens matinee. I remember the organ coming up out of the front of the stage and we all sang "
we are the ovaltine's little girl's and boy's. On occasions my Grand-mother would give me sixpence to spend and I would buy sweets and either the Dandy or Beano comic

Those were the day's, and I am very happy that I am still here to tell the tale What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 1536469901 :What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 1931734156:
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 3:52 pm

willowsend wrote:
What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 2581928987 I can't remember much about what I did or where I was yesterday, But I can remember very vividly much about the war years

I was born in Sevenoaks, Kent in 1939. In 1943. I can remember sirens going and bombing going on all around us. My Mum and me were sheltering under the dining room table when there was an almighty explosion, a house 100yds away had been bombed and our house and all the other houses in the road had their windows and doors blown in, but I still went to Nursery School the next day.
Off I went on my three wheeled bike, short grey trousers and lunch bag which was usually a marmite sandwich and if I was lucky an apple. The distance from our shattered home to the school (head mistress was Miss Goose) was about one mile and I alway's went on my own, can you imagine that happening today

In the spring of 1944 my Mum and me were evactuated to Everchreech in Somerset and I can remember getting the one bus a week at 10am to Weston-super-mare for the weeks groceries (and we didn't need a large Tesco's bag for that) The bus, a single decker painted green and yellow, with a long bonnet and wooden seats returned at 4pm that same day. Having had a holiday in Malta a few years back I think I reconised the bus as it must have been sold to them

We did not stay in the house in Everchreech very long so we moved on to a friends house on the hill over looking Brixham Harbour where we stayed until the war was over when we returned to Sevenoaks where I saw my Dad for only the second time in my short war-time life

The high light of my return was to go back to school there and every week-end go up on the bridge at Sevenoaks Station and watch the Golden Arrow speed through the station. I can remember it very well with it's Union Jack and French flags on the front of the engine

My final memories prior to leaving Sevenoaks to move to the Reading area was to go every Saturday morning with my threepenny piece to the local cinerma (known as the flee pit) for the childrens matinee. I remember the organ coming up out of the front of the stage and we all sang "
we are the ovaltine's little girl's and boy's. On occasions my Grand-mother would give me sixpence to spend and I would buy sweets and either the Dandy or Beano comic

Those were the day's, and I am very happy that I am still here to tell the tale What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 1536469901 :What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 1931734156:

What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 739492727 What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 3386807041 Nice one.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 8:55 am

Central heating: :Snow window: Paraffin stove at the top of the stairs What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 927475117
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 9:03 am

tonyb60 wrote:
Central heating: :Snow window: Paraffin stove at the top of the stairs What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 927475117

One of these g

Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 9:08 am

We used to keep about 100 chicken and sell the eggs, the profit bought our first television, black and white with a 9inch screen What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 3367882216
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 9:10 am

Admin wrote:
tonyb60 wrote:

One of these g

but tony's was at the top of the stairs, your's looks as if it is in an open air green-house heating the garden What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 1865348797
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 9:59 am

tonyb60 wrote:
Something light hearted :What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 3897195628: What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 2345823347 What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 3998065313 . In one of my day dreaming moments I suddenly thought of my days at the GPO and some of the things that were around in those days like:-

Izal Toilet Rolls
Green soap with bits in.
Carbolic soap
Swarfega

Can you add to the list?
I can remember what you looked like in the past, is the new avatar your twin brother or have you been to the same clinic as Ann Robinson What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 1865348797
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 10:01 am

willowsend wrote:
Admin wrote:
tonyb60 wrote:

One of these g

but tony's was at the top of the stairs, your's looks as if it is in an open air green-house heating the garden What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 1865348797

I can also remember the ice on the inside of the windows. Pampered these days are they not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What can you Remember from the Past

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next