altText
altText

Things to remember for Winter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

Things to remember for Winter Empty
PostSubject: Things to remember for Winter   Things to remember for Winter Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2016 8:26 am

Oh heck we got caught out again with the following Wood and water.

1) Make sure your wood is stacked near the house
2) Turn off outside water pipes
3) Have plenty of reserve food

We have a couple of frozen pipes one in the shower rooms upstairs so put the rad in there and thankfully the pipes defrosted. The other one was in the water bath ourside. It has now defrosted so outside all closed off. Something strange is happening in the shower room downstairs, the floors has water all aorund the skirting tiles edge. We checked everywhere for leaks ie toilet, boiler, taps etc but nothing - Now the only thing we can think of is condensation, the fire is on in the living room and it is very hot, the hall, stairs, kitchen and hall is not so hot even if the door to the living room is open so hopefully it is only condensation and not water coming thuogh the outside walls However, if that was the case would the tlies on the wall be raised???
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

PostSubject: Re: Things to remember for Winter   Things to remember for Winter Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2016 8:12 am

Hi Bernie

Sorry to hear of problems, the three points you mentioned are or should be normal proceedures every winter. g

We have one log burner for the whole house, to help circulate the heat I have a small desk fan situated at the side of the fire pointing towards the back of it and run it on medium speed to circulate the heat round and through the downstairs hall, also a cieling fan run on reverse in winter so air blows down

Re the downstairs shower room, presumably you still have water to the shower and toilet? and running normally, I would mop up the water on the floors and put in a few shallow dishes of salt ( acts like a condensation trap) and see if the dampness returns.

Bill
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Things to remember for Winter   Things to remember for Winter Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2016 9:57 am

bulgariabill wrote:
Hi Bernie

Sorry to hear of problems, the three points you mentioned are or should be normal proceedures every winter. g

We have one log burner for the whole house, to help circulate the heat I have a small desk fan situated at the side of the fire pointing towards the back of it and run it on medium speed to circulate the heat round and through the downstairs hall, also a cieling fan run on reverse in winter so air blows down

Re the downstairs shower room, presumably you still have water to the shower and toilet? and running normally, I would mop up the water on the floors and put in a few shallow dishes of salt ( acts like a condensation trap) and see if the dampness returns.

Bill

Ah thanks Bill will put a fan in by the door to circulate the heat, Dougie did say put one in the wall bu the walls are about a foot wide. Silly me gave all our ceiling fans away as thought have no use for them here Things to remember for Winter 3897195628 gave all our single and double big duvets, the covers and no end of floor mats away too Things to remember for Winter 794030042 now we are here most of the time we could use them. sods law eh Things to remember for Winter 2345823347

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and here is the one where it has dried out
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

We took the stuff out from under the stairs yesterday and was appalled the wall was black should therefore, think we have a damp problem here are two pictures after the thrid clean
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

PostSubject: Re: Things to remember for Winter   Things to remember for Winter Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2016 10:10 am

Hi Bernie
A picture paints a thousand words................. I am no builder BUT.... I am afaraid that looks more like rising damp than condensation? so not a lot more to suggest apart from try and keep it warm in there.

On another point I read you mentioned that you need flanelette sheets as the bed is cold :-) until we got our supply of them I used a hairdrier as a quick heat, get in bed, form a tent with your knees and blast the space with hot hair, takes about 2 mins and a warm bed Things to remember for Winter 3367882216

Bill

Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Things to remember for Winter   Things to remember for Winter Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2016 10:17 am

bulgariabill wrote:
Hi Bernie
A picture paints a thousand words................. I am no builder BUT.... I am afaraid that looks more like rising damp than condensation? so not a lot more to suggest apart from try and keep it warm in there.

On another point I read you mentioned that you need flanelette sheets as the bed is cold :-) until we got our supply of them I used a hairdrier as a quick heat, get in bed, form a tent with your knees and blast the space with hot hair, takes about 2 mins and a warm bed Things to remember for Winter 3367882216

Bill

Yes we thinks so too Bill have the rad under the stairs on all the time now. We checked outside to see if water can get in there are a few cracks on the decorating stone so Dougie put clear cillicon along the join see what happens when it rains again.

Good idea re the hair dryer thanks. This weather reminds me of when we were children We did not have heating upstairs only the range downstairs so Mum used to have the iron on the range and then just before we got into bed she would iron the sheets, later years we had hotwater bottles. Good old days or maybe not

Another thing I have noticed here if you wash the wall the paint comes off so maybe the black on the wall is the concrete showing thought. Will look for vinel silk in big shops in the spring.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Things to remember for Winter   Things to remember for Winter Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 4:22 pm

where are the photos..... disappeared .....
OK there back !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things to remember for Winter   Things to remember for Winter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Things to remember for Winter

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1