View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Kukeri Festival - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Kukeri Festival   Kukeri Festival - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 10:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

2000 Mummers Gather for Kukeri Festival in South west Bulgaria

The small south western town of Simitli hosted Saturday a huge festival of "
kukeri"
, or mummers, a beloved Bulgarian folklore tradition with roots from Ancient Thrace.

The Kukeri ritual is performed between Christmas and Lent by costumed men with scary animal masks, who walk around and dance to scare away the evil spirits, as well as to provide a good harvest, health, fertility, and happiness. Similar rituals can also be found in Romania, Serbia, Italy and Spain.

Over 2000 kukeri from a total of 15 groups South western Bulgaria - from Blagoevgrad, Petrich, Kyustendil – as well as from Karlovo in central Bulgaria and from the town of Berovo in Macedonia – gathered in Simitli for the traditional dances.

They attracted some 10 000 spectators - more than the actual population of the town.

The youngest mummer was a one-year-old kid, and the oldest – an 85-year-old man.

In Southwestern Bulgaria the mummers, or kukeri, are also known as "
babugeri"

The kukeri tradition is performed all over Bulgaria;
one of the most famous performance is the Surva Festival in the city of Pernik, to the west of Sofia.

Mummers aged from 1 to 85 gathered in Simitli Saturday
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com

AuthorMessage
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Mummers Gather for Kukeri Festival in Southwest Bul   Kukeri Festival - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:49 am

I have been to one of these but I didn't quite get it but it was very colorful and the music I didn't get either Kukeri Festival - Page 2 794030042
Back to top Go down
therowfamily
Super user
Super user
therowfamily

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Mummers Gather for Kukeri Festival in Southwest Bul   Kukeri Festival - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 9:51 am

Does anyone know if there is a calendar for this event that takes place all over Bulgaria
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Mummers Gather for Kukeri Festival   Kukeri Festival - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 10:08 am

Here is a little old news here

[size=55:ilzd0ujn]novinite
6,000 Perform Ancient Rites to Drive Off Evil in Bulgaria

Bulgaria's largest Kukeri event, a tradition in which people gather in traditional costumes to drive off evil spirits, is under way in the western city of Pernik over the weekend.

More than 6,200 participants from around the world have gathered at the festival, which has its 21th edition since being founded in 1966.

99 folklore groups take part in this year's Surva Festival in Pernik, 12 of them from abroad - Albania, Greece, Italy, Lithuania, Romania Serbia, Slovenia - and China.

Henry van der Kroon, chair of the European festival towns federation, is honorary guest to the festival this year.

A number of events, such a costume-making workshop, and a bazaar for kukeri outfits, are featured at the event.

The closing of the festival will be with a traditional horo dance at the Pernik central square at 6 pm Sunday.

The Kukeri ritual is performed between Christmas and Lent by costumed men with scary animal masks, who walk around and dance to scare away the evil spirits, as well as to provide a good harvest, health, fertility, and happiness. Similar rituals can also be found in Romania, Serbia, Italy and Spain.

The Surva Festival, which first took place in 1966 as a cultural event based on Bulgaria's folklore traditions, is the largest carnival event in Bulgaria and the Balkans.

In 2011, a representative of UNESCO announced that the kukeri tradition and theSurva Festival in Pernik will be included in UNESCO's list of protected non-material cultural heritage once the respective procedure is completed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Kukeri Yambol   Kukeri Festival - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Photo's from today's festival in Yambol.

Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

PostSubject: Re: Kukeri Festival   Kukeri Festival - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:36 pm

Great pictures Tony thanks did you enjoy yourself.
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Re: Kukeri Festival   Kukeri Festival - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:35 am

I was there too Tony sorry I missed you some more photo's Kukeri Festival - Page 2 2581928987

Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

PostSubject: Re: Kukeri Festival   Kukeri Festival - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 10:25 am

Love the pictures guy's I bet you had a great time it certainly looks like they were all enjoying themselves and all ages to.
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Kukeri Festival   Kukeri Festival - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 am

I went with a friend and my son - We had a great day out. The noise, from the bells, was almost deafening!!!

My son used to be terrified, and I mean REALLY terrified of the kukeri until the end of last summer (when we saw them on the coast) so it could have gone either way. Will definitely go next time it is on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kukeri Festival   Kukeri Festival - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kukeri Festival

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2