A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 9:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone

I have started an orphanage appeal to aid the homes in the Plovdiv region. I wanted to start it sometime ago, but I have only been able to a short time ago. Reading about everyone else who has started orphanage appeals in their own areas in Bulgaria has been really inspiring.

It all started after chatting with my mum about some clothes her friends daughter had passed on for Gabbi, but they were too small for her. My mum said she would take them to the local charity shop and I happened to mention how it was a shame we couldn’t give them to an orphanage. Well that was it, she thought it was a great idea and it has took off from there.

I started a Facebook group and within 2 days, had 15 bags of clothes and toys donated! I then created a website which is now up and running.

[url=http:
//abrightstartfororphansbg.
webs.
com:2o86m264][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We visited the local orphanage in Kalofer. A local Peace Corp volunteer, Jo, introduced us to the Director and staff, the meeting was a little sticky at first but they were just concerned about what our intentions were towards the home and children. They gave us a tour of the home, told what they needed most and I hope we hope to provide much of it after our next donations come over in April or May. By the end of the visit the Director and staff were really happy that we wanted to help them.

Yesterday, me and my friend Pauli went to the Baby orphanage in Plovdiv. I have just written about our visit and you can read about it below.

We are initially collecting unwanted clothing, shoes and household items which can be used in the homes and in the future will look at doing some fundraising and we are looking into the process of becoming a registered charity.

We were very kindly offered some space on a van coming to Bulgaria, so we could transport our first load of donations. I really can’t thank Dave Sharp enough for doing this for us, he’s a star!

The appeal is still in the very early stages, but the response I have had from friends, family and people I have never met has been incredible. Over the next year I hope to arrange fund raising days here in Bulgaria and also in the UK.

If anyone would like to donate to our appeal or has ideas about fundraising in our area, please contact me.

Thanks everyone

Charlie
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi you should have contacted me and I would have sent you a new password, I will try and sort this out so all your posts are still with the one user name? once I have done this I will send you your new log in details, please post here to let me know that you have read this.

ATB

g
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 9:57 am

Hi Ashley

I couldn't find how to contact you and deleted emails from my inbox, so was stuck! Sorry, but thank you for sorting it out for me s
Back to top Go down
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 9:57 am

Today we visited Kalofer orphanage to deliver some more of the donations that have arrived from the UK.

On this visit there was myself, my mum Enid, Pauli, Sarah and her father Roger. My mother is visiting us at the moment and this was a great opportunity for her to see where all the donations have been going, to meet the staff and children and to see how we can help them further. I really couldn’t do anything without my mums help and support.

We were met with a big smile from the Director, Ludmila Shekereva. I noticed it was very quiet! Where was everyone?? Then we are told that children are out with staff, playing games, sunbathing or relaxing in the fresh air……that soon changed once word got around we were back!

We chatted with the Director about what we had brought for them, about how we are wanting to help them on a regular basis and she told us how things had been going for them. There were a few new faces this visit, staff and children, also some children from Plovdiv are staying at the home for the summer. The children who visit family on a weekend had already left the home, so some of the donations would be passed onto them when they got back. She also told us how their annual budget had been cut, so it was going to be even harder for them now!

Now the children started to arrive back at the home, curious faces and little grins! We even got a few “Hello’s”!

We couldn’tmake them wait any longer, time for the unloading, as usual, loads of littlehelpers to unload the cars!

First to be looked at were the fantastic t-shirts donated by Joe Bloggs in Manchester. The boys loved them!!! And the girls too!! There are about 100 t-shirts donated, so a few were distributed and the rest would be given out later this weekend.

It was a good mix of donations this trip, clothes, shoes, toiletries (including shower gel, shampoo, toothpaste and brushes, sponges, hats, plates, cups, pans, toys, bags, hair accessories, etc. There were also some great art and crafts items, pens, pencils, crayons, felt tips, books, rubbers, novelty pencils, so many things and the children and Director thought these were wonderful.

The children dived in, looking and choosing what toy they wanted, what t-shirt they wanted, one boy decided he wanted the roller blades, never seen any before. Sarah ended up helping him as he was struggling to get them on his feet. So funny. He did manage it! He was so determined! He didn’t go very far, a little shocked I would say when the ground started moving under his feet! We saw him a little later on and he had moved onto just one skate! Easier to get around! One boy couldn’t wait to get to the play room before he started constructing a crane out in the corridor. He was so proud of himself when he'd done it.

Whilst there was a little calm, Pauli the Director if the children would be interested in having a tap/disco/exercise class once a week or every 2 weeks ( I used to be a dancing teacher). I then had to explain what tap was, describe the shoes and then the shocker, I had to give a demonstration!! Not sure what to do, I went in the corridor and did a few steps, with the teenagers looking at me as if I’m daft!! There were plenty of smiles all round, not sure if they were embarrassed for me, impressed or laughing at me! The Director is going to ask the other children to see if they would like to have a try, some are already interested, so I am now going to appeal for jazz and tap shoe donations and I will get some idea of sizes on our next visit.

We asked if we could have a quick tour of the home as Pauli and my mum had not seen any interior rooms. We were shown a few of the bedrooms, most sleep 3 or 4 in aroom, also have a bathroom and a play/living room. We also showed Pauli and my mum the older girls apartment. The girls have a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom, their own space in which to learn how to look after themselves, more independent, but with the security of staff on hand if needed. I think this is a great idea. Eventually, they want to make more apartments in this style.

We were just about to make our way downstairs when we were told 4 of the younger girls wanted us to see their room. It was messy and untidy earlier and they had just made it all nice. Bless them. And it really was tidy!

We asked the Director if their needs had changed since our last visit. She said they are desperate for bedding, curtains, rugs/carpet, duvets and pillows. They also need pajamas for boys and girls of all ages. Also needed are shoes, slippers and underwear.

We made our way downstairs with some of the children following. The Director, yet again, for I think the 10th time, thanked us, she is so grateful for everyone’s generosity and help. She has written a thank you letter to us, to everyone who has helped, donated and supported our cause, it is you who deserve the thanks, you are all making such a difference, to see the children get so excited and smile, makes everything so worthwhile. Even some of the children wrote their names on the letter along with their age, which I thought was such a lovely thing to do. We got a great send off as usual, lots of thanks all round, waves and smiles. I love visiting the children and can’t wait for my next visit.

I would like to say a big thank you to Pauli and to A2BG Couriers for bringing the donations to Bulgaria from the UK.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Well done Charlie it always amazes me of how people you you and others do for these poor children and without this I'm sure there life quality would be far from what it is now, I take my hat off to all those involved and also wish you all the best for the future and not forgetting to thank A2BG Couriers A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 570106603 keep it up I'm sure all the children appreciate what your doing and you reward will be waiting for you in heaven Angel
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 1:21 pm

Fantastic well done :Fireworks: :Celebration: you are really doing something good here as are the other members on here that are working with other orphanages your all stars carry on the good work and maybe we as a forum can help in some way A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 1430720830 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 1430720830
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 1:49 pm

Another very satisfying read about all the good that's being done in Bulgaria, it just goes to show that there are a lot of nice Brits too even though most of the time we are led to believe otherwise, anyway I'm sliding off topic here :Shocked:all I can say to you good people it well done but those words never seem to say enough but being a Mere mortal thats all I can say and again well done A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 570106603 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 570106603 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 570106603
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 3:24 pm

A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 1763269238

[size=150:2m3udl1j]Fantastic!!!!!

Well done Charlie!!! and all your helpers g A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 2706089290 Real proud of you hun!!! A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 2204270746

Berni g

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
Charliecharlie

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks everyone, it feels so great to be able to do something for the children.

I do have a small request. We have been offered some items from a family near Yambol but we have no way of getting them to me. If anyone is traveling along the Burgas to Sofia road who could collect from the family and devliver to me (I live near Karlovo on the main road), we would be so grateful.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Charlie s
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 6:03 pm

Charliecharlie wrote:
Thanks everyone, it feels so great to be able to do something for the children.

I do have a small request. We have been offered some items from a family near Yambol but we have no way of getting them to me. If anyone is traveling along the Burgas to Sofia road who could collect from the family and devliver to me (I live near Karlovo on the main road), we would be so grateful.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Charlie s

I've added your request in the Announcements !! forum too g
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 6:07 pm

A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 1763269238

Well done Charlie g

Charlie can you give a description of the items you need collected ie boxes, how many etc. c It would be fantastic if someone can help Charile out for this worth while cause, even if you can only manage one or two items. g

Thanks a million. s
Back to top Go down
Charliecharlie

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 7:23 am

Thanks Admin

I will find out how much there is, I think it's mainly clothes and toys with a few personal things like makeup. Will double check and get back to you.

Thanks for the encouragement T s T s T s
Back to top Go down
Charliecharlie

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 8:24 am

There are approximately 3 boxes, possibly only 2. If anyone can help out, we would be so grateful A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 1536469901 s H
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 10:19 am

Good luck and well done Charlie hope it all goes well g
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 11:43 am

Well done Charlie hope you all go from strength to strength!! and keep this up and I'm sure the children really love you for it A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 2706089290

sarah A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 570106603
Back to top Go down
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:46 am

I wanted to update everyone on our recent progress in getting shoebox gifts and all donations to Bulgaria in time for Christmas.

A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by a gentleman called Malcolm who wanted to help by collecting items for our appeal. He also said his daughter Becky wanted to be involved and collect donations from her area. Well, what a mission they went on! Within a few days, between them, they had collected about 25 bags of items, clothing, shoes, bedding, amazing! Becky has also managed to get some dancing shoes which will be great for when I can start a tap class. Thank you both for all you are doing for our appeal. T T

My good friend Andrea Pilcher set up a meeting for friends and family so they could arrange shoebox gifts to give the children for Christmas. Through an events page on Facebook, she got a great response and so many people want to help give the children a great Christmas. s

Unfortunately, our usual transport company are not able to get the donations here to Bulgaria before Christmas, so I contacted various other transport companies, hoping that someone could help with our appeal.

I was contacted by Removals to Bulgaria, which is owned by a gentleman called Vince Robinson. He apologised that he couldn’t personally transport anything for us, but wanted to help us finds someone who could. So he put out an appeal to all the transport companies he knows …. and he came through for us!!! He was contacted by Vittorio from another company. Vittorio told Vince that he and also knew of another firm who wanted to help and would arrange for collection of all our donations from all areas of the UK and bring them over to Bulgaria! Wow, I was totally overwhelmed by what Vince and Vittorio wanted to do for us and I can’t thank them enough.

So all being well, the donations will be collected in about 2 weeks and then plans will be made to transport them all to Bulgaria, where I can sort them for both Kalofer and Plovdiv baby orphanage.

Thank you to Vince and Vittorio, you are wonderful, kind hearted and generous people and I thank you so very much for all your help.
s

Other September donors are Gail Walters and Nadine Leah, thank you girls and thanks to everyone who has donated this year. Also thank you to my cousin Jane for storing our donations, a huge thank you to my mum who coordinates everything in the UK. s

I also want to thank Chris from Priateli - Veliko Tarnovo orphanage charity. Chris was helping me find transport and has been a huge help. Thanks Chris :) T T
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next