A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 9:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone

I have started an orphanage appeal to aid the homes in the Plovdiv region. I wanted to start it sometime ago, but I have only been able to a short time ago. Reading about everyone else who has started orphanage appeals in their own areas in Bulgaria has been really inspiring.

It all started after chatting with my mum about some clothes her friends daughter had passed on for Gabbi, but they were too small for her. My mum said she would take them to the local charity shop and I happened to mention how it was a shame we couldn’t give them to an orphanage. Well that was it, she thought it was a great idea and it has took off from there.

I started a Facebook group and within 2 days, had 15 bags of clothes and toys donated! I then created a website which is now up and running.

[url=http:
//abrightstartfororphansbg.
webs.
com:2o86m264][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We visited the local orphanage in Kalofer. A local Peace Corp volunteer, Jo, introduced us to the Director and staff, the meeting was a little sticky at first but they were just concerned about what our intentions were towards the home and children. They gave us a tour of the home, told what they needed most and I hope we hope to provide much of it after our next donations come over in April or May. By the end of the visit the Director and staff were really happy that we wanted to help them.

Yesterday, me and my friend Pauli went to the Baby orphanage in Plovdiv. I have just written about our visit and you can read about it below.

We are initially collecting unwanted clothing, shoes and household items which can be used in the homes and in the future will look at doing some fundraising and we are looking into the process of becoming a registered charity.

We were very kindly offered some space on a van coming to Bulgaria, so we could transport our first load of donations. I really can’t thank Dave Sharp enough for doing this for us, he’s a star!

The appeal is still in the very early stages, but the response I have had from friends, family and people I have never met has been incredible. Over the next year I hope to arrange fund raising days here in Bulgaria and also in the UK.

If anyone would like to donate to our appeal or has ideas about fundraising in our area, please contact me.

Thanks everyone

Charlie
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 9:06 am

So we finally found a day which we could travel to Sliven baby home to deliver all the donations that we had been given. I loaded the car up with so many items, clothes, toys, nappies and toiletries, curtains, etc.

We arrived at the home at 11am and were greeted by some of the staff, a couple I recognized from our last visit. There were plenty of eager and willing hands to help us unload all the items. We were shown to an office where all the items had been collected and we also met the homes accountant as well, whom we met on our last visit also.

We were asked to sit down and offered a drink. The Director, Kita, was at a meeting but would be joining us in a short while. Then the work began. Any donations given to the home have to be listed individually. So the counting began, all the curtains, each toy, how many nappies, wipes, dummies, bibs, you name it, everything was counted. The ladies had it all under control, a great team!! There were a few laughs, loads of chat, I love this home!! Such a great atmosphere!

During this time, we told them about a little boy who was adopted the year before and the staff remembered him well. They were so happy that he was doing so well. And they were very grateful and happy when told them that his new family, their community and friends were the ones who raised the money to purchase the bedding and curtains. Big smiles all around!

They absolutely loved the art and craft items, paper, coloured card, crayons, colouring books, etc, plus there were some craft sets in the box sent by Maggie all the way from America. They were also trying out some of the toys, pressing buttons, making music, so great to see. Chech told them my comment, if the ladies love these toys so much then the children are going to love them even more! The ladies beamed at me and said YES!

By the time we had finished all this sorting, we had 45 minutes to wait until Kita arrived back at the home. We said we would go and grab a bite to eat and be back for 12.30.

Once back at the home, we were taken to Kita’s office for our meeting. She is such a lovely lady and greeted us so warmly with a huge grin. She told us about the inspection they had the week before. There are such strict guidelines now, toys now have to come with a safety certificate, only brand new clothing will be allowed, it is hard for the home, as most items donated are second hand. Only by raising money can they buy new items for the home.

So she had a look at all the donations we had brought and she was so happy. She said the curtains were perfect;
each one had the size in the bag so they knew which window they would fit. The nappies and toiletries she was very pleased with as they go through so many every day. She said the new bedding was being saved for a big celebration being held on 1st June, which is International Children’s day. She said they would also get the curtains put up and would send us photographs of the curtains and the bedding on the beds.

She then asked if we would like a tour of the home and we said YES! On our previous visit, I was taken to just one room, met some of the staff and 5 babies.

The cheerful lady, who showed us around last year, took us on the tour. So off we went, up the first lot of steps to the area I had visited previously. At the top of the stairs, laid out waiting for us, was the new bedding! They were absolutely fantastic! 5 different sets, bright, cheerful and fun! I am so very happy, they are fabulous!

She then took us into the room I had visited the year before. 5 young babies in their cots and 4 staff members in the room, big smiles and greeted warmly. And our tour, the lady, yet again, was talking with the babies with a fun voice and tickling their bellies, a big smile came back from one baby she was talking too. Then back downstairs we went into a different room. Slightly older children were here, but in bed! It was nap time. They had a play area that we walked into and the sleeping areas were in a back room. The rooms were spotless;
there was a bathroom area off to the side. The bedrooms had about 15 beds in total. A couple of the children were still awake and our lady started doing her funny and happy chat with them in a loud whisper, but you could see the staff in the room looking at her as if to say QUIET, but at the same time smiling at her! So funny, such a lovely lady.

So we were taken to 3 other rooms like this last one, again, very clean and tidy. We then visited a play room, opened the door and there are some children, not asleep!! Great! One little boy was walking with the help of a staff member, big smile when he saw our lady and yet again, chat chat chatting away to him and the others. Chech told me that she spoke to them all the same, warmly and kindly, she’s their mama and loves them. She had told us this on our last visit, she said that they are like her own children and she loves them all dearly. This is apparent;
you don’t need to understand the language to understand this!

Finally, we were taken to a room downstairs, on the way we met a little boy, of maybe 1 ½ years old, being brought back upstairs, he was climbing each step with help and was really enjoying himself. And of course, our lady greeted and talked to him as before, which was rewarded with a big smile from him.

The room we visited last was a day centre. It was used by the children in the home but was also used by children whose parents had no one to look after them whilst they were at work. It was a great room, everything in it was donated. You had small play centres with ball pool and slides, soft play items, mats, balls, etc. In the back room there are put me up beds, books, small ride on toys, etc. It was great to hear that children from outside of the home were also able to visit and are looked after so well.

We then went back to see the Director. We asked about what their needs may be now and in the future. She said at the moment, food was a priority. But they also need new washing machine desperately and also medical scales. Not the type that you just stand on, but the larger type used in Doctors surgeries and hospitals. They need shoes, but as she told us before, they could only be brand new due to health and safety regulations. She did say that as and when they needed anything, she would email the details to us. We told her we would help them as much as we could.

So now was the time to leave. We were shook gratefully by the hand and told thank you so many times. I am so happy and grateful to have found this home so that we can help them. It is a friendly, caring, warm and happy home run by some incredible women. It is an honour to be able to help them and for me to share their story with you all. Thank you to everyone, to all of you who have helped and supported the children and staff in this home, I can personally tell you that you do help to make a difference. I hope that we can continue to work together to help the children. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:17 pm

A wonderful account of the amazing help you are providing Charliechech. A Karma for you from me. H
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:41 pm

A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 7 2706089290 Well done Charlie you are doing a fantastic job You have come a long way and growing all the time you should be very very proud of yourself and your helpers. Believe me I know how hard it is go get helpers. A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 7 1536469901 Keep up the good work A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 7 1763269238 - Did I tell you we also help the Ratovski Orphanage Plovdiv? we have done all the shoeboxes for them this year.

All the very best of luck to you and your cause and if we can help let us know.

Oddy xxxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7