HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

altText
altText
altText
altText
altText
altText

Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 10:37 am

First topic message reminder :

Having read quite a few of the posts on here I see there seem to be mixed feelings about the life in Bulgaria which leads me to think that maybe some have made a mistake ? and they are not as happy as they thought they would be but can't do anything about it as they have all thier investment in Bulgaria, so tell me if this applies to you and why you think your not as happy as you thought you would be
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 8:39 am

Not a failure but another learning experience and its unfortunate you picked a bad village.
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 11:49 am

oldun wrote:
Not a failure but another learning experience and its unfortunate you picked a bad village.

your right oldun its all part of life rich experiences and we have to learn bu our mistakes unfortunately
Back to top Go down
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Loupylou does seem to be very sad but if she dosen't like it in Bulgaria then she's doing the right thing and trying again in a new place I wish you the very best in your plight
Back to top Go down
JACK SPARROW
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 4:43 pm

We have been going down to Greece for holidays,a couple of times a year,when we have the time,beautiful places but expensive and still a wibblywobbly langauge
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 4:49 pm

I spent a lot of time in Cyprus and I learnt the language a lot easier than Bulgarian, which I am still limited to a few words, but I found that Greek was a softer language and much easier for me and I can have a limited conversation but with Bulgarian it was always the od word followed by me making signs and probably a complete fool of my self
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
abracadabra
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 6:29 pm

That's me in ANY language Netsniper especially after a glass of vino!!! i made some really embarassing mistakes when I was learning Turkish! No doubt once my Bulgarian vocabulary increases I'll make some big mistakes in BGN too...oh well. all the world loves a clown so they say...

Karen
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Senior user
Senior user
Fletch

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 8:45 am

This topic is a hard one to answer for me as we have lived here now for over 14 years, and I suppose like anywhere you start to get fed up with a country. Before posting I had a long think am I happy, yes I am, is it because I live in Bulgaria ? yes this could have a little to do with it. But I have to say I dont think that I would be happy in Bulgaria if I did not work. We are very lucky that we are near the coast (just down the road) and only 20mins from the airport and Burgas, so we have everything on our doorstep, but I dont think that there is enough for me to do if I did not work, think I would be ok in the summer, but would be going stir crazy in the winter. Corruption is another thing that has increased so much since we first came here, and for me I dont see that getting any better only more organised I have also noticed a great change in attitudes of the Bulgarians over the years, and not for the better. Over the years I have seen many British people come and go, the biggest problem was that many did not realise how different Bulgaria is to the other european countries that they had visited. I have always said Bulgaria is not for everyone, and is not a country in my opinion that is easy to start a new life in. A few years ago when Bulgarian forums first started most posting by people was how wonderful Bulgaria was etc etc, me I always posted on how I saw it, yes got shot down in flames all the time, interesting to see now how many of these people have changed there opinions. I suppose its a little like anything when its new its great, but as time goes on and the layers start to peel off and you see the real thing its not always what you thought it would be. So yes I am happy but I dont think that I will leave my ashes in Bulgaria.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 11:34 am

I think your posting sums up Bulgaria very well and your attitude towards it
Back to top Go down
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 5:13 pm

willowsend wrote:
I think your posting sums up Bulgaria very well and your attitude towards it

Have to agree with summing up, Bulgaria has great potential, if the people could take on the good and dump some of the more negative aspects of their everyday lives it would be better for all. If you treat BG as a frontier country still developing I think it gives a better Perspective. It drives me absolutely mad some of the stupidity here!.
But I see the UK and some of the other EU countries as going rapidly downhill. so for me the crazy BG systems are out weighed by my chance to own a house with garages, outbuilding, animals if I want., with an acre of land, a massive garden, peace and quiet mostly and countryside that I could never afford to live in unless I had a million pounds. Of course sometimes I have to sit and tell myself this after a day with the paperwork... But.. for now this will do
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Thank you all for answering this you have all given me something to think about and I'm sure you have helped others to
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Moving to Bulgaria was not an easy decision to make. But we made it 4 years ago just as a holiday home. We both loved the thought of being in the Country in a village with a great big garden. Well we did that and as a result we moved here permanently in 2007. Our first experience of the Bulgarian people was our now best friend (Kalinka) who just very bravely knocked on our door and introduced herself. We had to ring our translator to find out what she wanted. As it turned out coffee at her house the next morning. We will never forget the smile.

Yes we have been ripped off and yes we have suffered ill health but not because of living in BG. The health service here is good. Our experience anyway. Our biggest problem is the Uk government more red tape there than there is here. Post was a problem but guess the first letter that we ever got,.......... yep Inland Revenue.

We are on pensions but not state for me yet I'm not that old. The cost of living is cheaper in some areas but more expensive in others so six of one half a dozen of the other realy.

Would I recomend Bulgaria, well yes if you have income. No if you have no income and a young family. You must be prepared to put the effort in and try and mix in with the locals and be very aware that not everybody is your friend. One thing for sure we know that we are the visitors in this Country, and the locals either love us or hate us withus we believe the we are loved as we like a quite life and blend in as best we can.

I could I'm sure with some of the others who live here write a book but it is no where near as bad as published by the UK press and TV.

We have made friends here some good and some not so good|. But even with a couple of very bad experiences we are still here and just been through the worst winter we have known. LOVE IT
Back to top Go down
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Well I reckon that about sums it up, tony b60 very fair review of Bulgaria and it's people.
after 5 winters here, Were staying, A bit older and a bit wiser.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:12 pm

well, three years on, we have settled well, love the summers and the winters if you prepare to be stuck in for a month. struggled with the food at first but thats got better over time.

so yes, there is nothing that concerns me enough to say ive made a mistake, no.

will i stay, cant answer that one, we planned for 10 years, while we are active and healthy and can enjoy sight seeing, gardening, and doing whatever we want to.

as long as we are healthy, no problems. i think in time, age and health will play a part in deciding enough is enough. carrying gas bottles, water, shopping, cleaning the pool are all heavy jobs.
when we have had our fun, we will retire gracefully and return home.
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:48 pm

This really is a great insight to how you all feel what makes it interesting to me is that you are all more than likely from very different backgrounds ? great topic and it very usefull to those of us who have still to make the move
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 4:49 pm

I have read through this over the last few days and all I can say is this is fantastic for people who are considering the move and what they really need to think about as so many don't and it ends up in tears
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???   Are you really as happy as you thought you would be??? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are you really as happy as you thought you would be???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next