View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 39 ... 70  Next
AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

Winters here at last. - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:45 pm

willowsend wrote:
Sarah wrote:
I know it makes you laugh when you consider that many years ago we as a notion copped with far worse and nobody ever talked about the army rescuing anyone we all just got on with it and made the best of a bad situation

sarah

I thought I would have a bit of fun here. As I am a professional photographer. I sent a number of snow pictures to a friend in Bulgaria. I suggested that they quickly opened a travel agency, had some brochures printed using my photo's and offer fantastic ski-ing and winter sports holidays to the Bulgarian's to come here and enjoy our hospitality
it was a joke of course

Brilliant idea Willow although I think you might have to change that now to water sky-ing or street rafting

Oddy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 10:53 am

[size=75:1ovhad7r]Sofia echo 19 January 2010

Bulgaria braces itself for a blizzard

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A large weather system will bring heavy and extensive snowfall to all of Bulgaria – except for the southeast corner, the Bulgarian Meteorological Institute was quoted as saying on January 19 2010.

The blizzard will be most intense in eastern Bulgaria and in central Stara Planina where snow cover is likely to exceed 25cm and with 25cm already accumulated, may reach up to half a metre, the report says.

The situation in the eastern and northeastern parts of the country will be exacerbated by strong and sustained northerly winds which are likely to create dangerous cornices, and will subsequently result in poor visibility, causing serious obstruction to safety and traffic. As of 11am Varna already accounts for nearly 30cm of snow as the blizzard there has been ongoing for more than 16 hours. Many other areas in the east and northeast are subjected to severe weather.

Western Bulgaria will also see snowfall, albeit considerably milder in intensity compared to the eastern and central parts of the country. Southwestern Bulgaria, meanwhile, will escape the onslaught with occasional scattered cloud formations.

And while the snow falling in abundance may be a nuisance and a problem in most areas, where it is needed most, Bansko, Vitosha and Borovets, it will be relatively insignificant, according to the report.

In an experience seeming to contradict this report, however, residents in the southern Sofia borough of Boyana reported "
heavy snowfall"
on the morning of January 19. Mild snowfall was also reported in Bansko.

Temperatures at 1200m will be at around -5C while at 2000m elevation temperatures will fall to -10C but the wind-chill factor will be substantial.

Along the Black Sea coast it will be windy, cold and a "
significant"
snow cover is expected to accumulate, with temperatures ranging between 0C and -4C.

The Mountain Rescue Service has warned skiers and mountaineers to be aware of the formation of dangerous cornices that could launch avalanches. Skiers should remain at designated slopes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 10:54 am

[size=75:11x1ziy1]Sofia echo 19 January 2010

Blizzard in Bulgaria causes chaos in the northeast

Heavy traffic congestion is reported by the Bulgarian traffic police (KAT) on the main road from Rousse to Sofia because of severe weather conditions, Dnevnik daily reported on January 19 2010.

More than 80 heavy lorries have been stranded on both sides of the road, obstructing traffic in both directions, either because "
they don't have chains"
or are "
reluctant to have them installed"
, KAT was quoted as saying by Dnevnik daily.

Heavy snowfall and an ongoing blizzard, which has lasted for more than 16 hours in some areas of northeastern and eastern Bulgaria and is expected to accumulate to nearly 40cm of snow cover, is the reason cited for delays.

In the region of Dobrudja, the Balchik-Alebena-Kranevo road has been closed to traffic. Roads in the Kroushari municipality have also been closed.

A Turkish bus bound for Romania became stuck in a wall of snow in a village near Kavarna. Emergency Rescue Services successfully retrieved the vehicle and all passengers are reportedly safe.

KAT have said that as the situation develops, "
traffic can be redirected and/or stopped"
altogether in certain areas, according to the weather.

The Road Infrastructure Agency said that "
heavy snowfall"
is expected to continue in many parts of central and eastern Bulgaria and along the coastline.

For the moment, Sofia's public transport system is operating normally because snow in the capital is not especially heavy, the Bulgarian News Agency (BTA) was quoted as saying on January 19 2010.

Buses, trams and trolleybuses are reportedly operating on schedule and there are no significant delays. The Sofia Echo has seen snow clearing vehicles, deployed to some major arteries in the city centre, waiting to be put into operation.

Flights in and out of Bulgaria are liable to delays. Passengers are urged to consult airlines regarding their travel plans.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 11:25 am

[size=75:57nzoxm0]novinite 19 January 2010

Update

Eastern Bulgaria Gripped by Heavy Snow

Eastern Bulgaria woke up Tuesday in the grip of a heavy snow storm with treacherous roads, power outages and canceled school classes.

In the Region of the Black Sea City of Burgas, about 20 towns and villages are without electricity and schools in several villages are closed over impassable roads. The worst conditions are reported in the Ruen municipality where only 3 villages can be reached by car and many abandoned vehicles can be seen on the icy roads.

All roads around the city of Burgas are passable, so is the main road Burgas-Sofia.

In the other Black Sea city of Varna, the Mayor issued an order to close all schools. The decision about school closures on Wednesday will be announced by 5 pm. The day care centers in Varna are, however, open and public transportation is running, but experiencing delays. The ambulances are running as well. Snow plows, controlled by a GPS system, have been cleaning all through the night and are continuing work.

Heavy snow is reported in the Sliven, Slistra, and Ruse Regions but all roads are passable. Trucks have been stuck in several locations in the Silistra Region where a number of schools are closed.

The Regions of Dobrich, Yambol, and Shumen are also experiencing heavy snow and road closures. Bus transportation to a number of villages there has been canceled.

In the Stara Zagora Region driving through the Shipka Mountain pass is reported as very difficult;
all vehicles must use chains while the road is closed for heavy trucks and tractor-trailer's.Trakiya highway is open for all traffic.

In Sofia, the situation is reported as normal with public transportation running on time. The Deputy Mayor informs all streets where public transportation vehicles are running have been cleaned by 4 am.
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 11:42 am

It looks real rough right now I bet there will be plenty of snow to build an army of snowmen and woman
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 12:14 pm

About 20 cms here today. Still snowing quite heavily.

Dog's out rolling in it as usual

Fortunately our cupboards and freezers are full so don't need to dig the car out!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Pavlova
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:00 pm

20cms plus and stil comin here nr elena...Foal loves it and is a joy to watch him prancing and bucking around .
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Yes winter here to about 8 inches i know the old measurement its my age

Mike
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:05 pm

mickhev wrote:

i know the old measurement its my age

Mike

I know that feeling Mike but who cares
Back to top Go down
abracadabra
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Snow on the ground here in Elhovo town and yes ,around 8-10 inches here, plus more falling.

It was small flakes from last night up till around an hour ago but now it's bigger flakes and the wind has picked up.

Car is buried from the roof down and the snow is well over my knees where it's drifted. Going over the road for milk - send out a search party if I'm not back in half an hour!

Our dog thinks it's great and has been laid on specially for her amusement.LOL

Karen
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Hooooooooooooo lot of the white stuff then if we come out to you who's coming looknig for us
Back to top Go down
bobski
Anonymous

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 6:35 pm

very deep here in Burgas & now freezeing cold -5.

the snow tractor/plough has just been down our village road...i was quite shocked at this.

bob.
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Be good to see some pictures Bob but i dont think you can post pictures on here

Mike
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 6:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mike you can post pictures directly onto the forum now
ATB

Last edited by 2 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bobski
Anonymous

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 6:47 pm

i did try to upload some pics mike, but for some reason i could not.

perhaps ashley could post a tread on how to do this,as it would be helpfull.

bob.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winters here at last.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 70Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 39 ... 70  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The weather wherever you are ?-