AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Winters here at last. - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Just found this on AOL news

More heavy snow swept into parts of Britain with no let-up in sight as the big freeze maintained its grip on the country.

In the coldest spell for more than 30 years, snow and ice took their toll on the UK again, with deaths from weather-related incidents since before Christmas rising to 25, travel disrupted and sports fixtures called off.

Forecasters said there was no significant early thaw in prospect, as temperatures fell overnight to minus 15C (5F) at Tulloch Bridge and Dalwhinnie in Scotland. Elsewhere around the UK they were solidly below freezing - minus 7C (19F) in Manchester, minus 6C (21F) in Cardiff and minus 2C (28F) in London.

The heaviest snowfallswere across Kent and East Sussex, to a depth of 4in (10cm). Kent Police said the military is on stand-by to help the situation if the weather in the county worsens.

Well what can I say? I wonder how the rest of the world cope including the Balkans
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 2:09 pm

I know it makes you laugh when you consider that many years ago we as a notion copped with far worse and nobody ever talked about the army rescuing anyone we all just got on with it and made the best of a bad situation

sarah
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 3:07 pm

Your right Sarah in the old days it was a case of grin and bear it but now its all a case of mamby pamby
Back to top Go down
abracadabra
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Admin wrote:
Just found this on AOL news

More heavy snow swept into parts of Britain with no let-up in sight as the big freeze maintained its grip on the country.

In the coldest spell for more than 30 years, snow and ice took their toll on the UK again, with deaths from weather-related incidents since before Christmas rising to 25, travel disrupted and sports fixtures called off.

Forecasters said there was no significant early thaw in prospect, as temperatures fell overnight to minus 15C (5F) at Tulloch Bridge and Dalwhinnie in Scotland. Elsewhere around the UK they were solidly below freezing - minus 7C (19F) in Manchester, minus 6C (21F) in Cardiff and minus 2C (28F) in London.

The heaviest snowfallswere across Kent and East Sussex, to a depth of 4in (10cm). Kent Police said the military is on stand-by to help the situation if the weather in the county worsens.

Well what can I say? I wonder how the rest of the world cope including the Balkans

Four inches...and the army is on stand-by? Get a grip GB! Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the army ferry grit to the area that need it BEFORE it got to this pass, or am I over simplifying here?
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 3:59 pm

abracadabra wrote:

Four inches...and the army is on stand-by? Get a grip GB! Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the army ferry grit to the area that need it BEFORE it got to this pass, or am I over simplifying here?

Your right but that would be to easy
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Sarah wrote:
I know it makes you laugh when you consider that many years ago we as a notion copped with far worse and nobody ever talked about the army rescuing anyone we all just got on with it and made the best of a bad situation

sarah

I thought I would have a bit of fun here. As I am a professional photographer. I sent a number of snow pictures to a friend in Bulgaria. I suggested that they quickly opened a travel agency, had some brochures printed using my photo's and offer fantastic ski-ing and winter sports holidays to the Bulgarian's to come here and enjoy our hospitality
it was a joke of course
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 4:12 pm

I don't see why it was a joke I think you maybe onto something there Bryan
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 pm

[size=75:2dj3bec8]Sofia echo 11 January 2010

Europe's cold snap creeps closer to Bulgaria

Most of Europe suffered another weekend of weather misery with scores of cancelled flights, people freezing to death, dwindling supplies and motorways cut off as snow blanketed much of the continent.

Until now, Bulgaria has been shielded by the arctic onslaught, as the country basked in unseasonable spring weather for the last week. But the cold snap is approaching.

Moderate northwesterly winds will bring a cold front to Bulgaria throughout January 11. By late afternoon winds will intensify in strength, the Bulgarian Meteorologic Institute said on its website on January 11 2010. The cold front will be felt initially in the east and central part of the Danube valley.

Temperatures will drop from 14-17C, seen over the past few days, to between 5C and 11C, while Sofia should see the mercury drop to 7C, but without precipitation, the report said.

Temperatures will fall drastically in the mountains as the cold front advances, although snowfall is unlikely as scattered cloud formations prevail. Temperatures at 1200m will be around 0C, while at 2000m temperatures will fall to -7C. Just three days ago, temperatures at 2000m were 4C.

Along the Black Sea coast, the weather will be wet and cold, with winds increasing in the afternoon. Temperatures in Bulgaria are expected to decline drastically from January 13-14 onwards.

While Bulgaria experienced a temporary warm spell, Germany had as much as 25cm of snow over the weekend, with more expected. "
All of Germany is white,"
Tania Dressel of the German weather services was quoted as saying by international media.

To help combat the cold, German authorities advised people to stock up on food provisions and medical supplies for up to four days, avoid all non-essential travel and sit out the cold spell at home.

In France, a heavy snow storm caused major delays to train services. Meanwhile, firefighters in the northwestern part of the country had to help emergency services pluck out as many as 130 motorists stranded overnight on frozen motorways and roads.

In the city of Lyon alone, about 1000 people were stranded at the airport, following the cancellations of dozens of flights.

Meanwhile in Britain, the arctic weather has been blamed for the deaths of about 25 people. Additionally, grit supplies have nearly run out, meaning that local councils can no longer cope with icy roads, affecting traffic and the local economy as a whole. The Times reported on January 11 2010 that "
supplies of fresh milk led to the Government relaxing restrictions on delivery drivers, while schools were urged to stay open this week so that pupils can take GCSE and A-level exams"

Britain was subjected to yet another night of freezing temperatures, down to -14.5C in Tulloch Bridge in Scotland.

Meanwhile, according to the BBC weather forecast page, freezing temperatures in the UK will last at least until January 14.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Cold damp and a lot of slush

sarah
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 9:33 am

We've gone from slush to another couple of inches of snow over night and it's still snowing
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Snowing heavy here today.

Just did a trip to Sliven and, because the main roads were clear, we made the big mistake of driving back across the Balkan mountains.

Roads were absolutely covered in snow (2-3 inches and no salt or grit yet).

Thank goodness for four wheel drive!

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Takes a lot to stop a Paj Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 1:13 pm

netsniper wrote:
Takes a lot to stop a Paj Chris

Indeed, and thank goodness for that! Fortunately I had my winter tyres on and new brake pads. However, I was trying to do the descent out of the mountain staying in second gear and trying not to touch the brake pedal ... quite hairy given the few thousand foot sheer drop at every bend!

Needless to say, I'm glad to be home [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Load of cars stuck and folks grubbing around in the snow trying to fit snow chains ... I was glad to be in a 4WD I can tell you.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
JACK SPARROW
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Snowing ,3"
here and sticking good,roads passable at the moment (Harmanli/Svilengrad)
Back to top Go down
bobski
Anonymous

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 pm

hi, snowing quite heavy in burgas...our new puppy is lovein it, shes a seven week old husky.

ps, chris my grand cherokee was made for this stuff...4.7 v8 quadra drive

bob.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winters here at last.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 70Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 39 ... 70  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The weather wherever you are ?-