Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY & associated problems   Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 2:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Topic continued from here viewtopic.php?f=8&
t=5464

snail wrote:
l seem to be having a lot of problems with my car battery.lt goes flat in a matter of 2 days in this cold weather.
Questions
1/how can l stop this from happening and what is the true cause of this happening
2/ls there any way for me to charge the battery up from the electrical house sockets.
3/l heard there are those solar panel gadgets you plug in the cars light socket to charge the battery up.Where do l get one and how much does it cost.
l am in the Elhovo area

Try covering your engine with an old blanket when your not using it. Our battery does the same thing in cold and thats what the mechanic recommended. Fingers crossed so far so good, it hasnt done it since. s
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/

AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Flat Battery   Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 4:52 pm

tonyb60 wrote:
LisA wrote:
I completely disagree with you Tony although this is you opinion its not mine and I would advocate that anyone who wishes to save some money then if you feel confident enough and can get some advice from others that may know better then why not have a go. I think beautifulangel was assuming that the op does have a certain amount of common sense and not the iq of a chimp! There are plenty of user manuals on the market for the DIY person and these are endorsed by some very big names so if in doubt get one and follow any instructions therein.

Mine is not as you say an opinion. What I am giving is professional advice. Before I retired I was still studying to keep up with everyday trends. To be a Manager in Health and Safety you have to have a professional qualification. I have this where is yours? Having had to investigate the reasons behind some horrific accidents I think I know what is called a 'Cause' and an 'Effect'. Saving money is one thing but!!!!!! But you people carry on I am never surprised by some of the things that I have seen.

Question. Have you ever seen a battery explode, have you ever had to wash acid of a mans face when one has exploded. Did you know that in some batteries there was an inherent fault where the connections inside were not made properly and when the electrolyte went below the connection, bang. These are just one's that I know of personally there are many others. Plus the one's that I have forgotten.

If the thing is worn out then just change it. If you cannot afford it then don't have a car. If it fails in the middle of no where then what do you do?

[size=150:3s9ujl5g]The original post,

l seem to be having a lot of problems with my car battery.lt goes flat in a matter of 2 days in this cold weather.
Questions
1/how can l stop this from happening and what is the true cause of this happening
2/ls there any way for me to charge the battery up from the electrical house sockets.
3/l heard there are those solar panel gadgets you plug in the cars light socket to charge the battery up.Where do l get one and how much does it cost.
l am in the Elhovo area

There is an old British saying:- Making a mountain out of a molehill and I think that this is a classic example. a plain straight forward request was made to members for advice, and it's turned into a situation that you are a naughty boy/girl if you attempt to do a bit of DIY Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 2706089290
Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 pm

I bet snail wished he/she hadn't asked the question, it doesn't really matter how is solved so long as its solved and no one get hurt, I would say that 90% of ex-pats in bg have done some sort of D.I.Y since moving over and only because they know its sometimes the only way to get something done correctly. I can see what Tony is saying and I'm sure his heart is in the right place but we have to remember that this is bg and its not always as simple as some people think to get a good tradesman. Whatever way you choose to fix your problem snail Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 1430720830
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Carmen wrote:
I bet snail wished he/she hadn't asked the question, it doesn't really matter how is solved so long as its solved and no one get hurt, I would say that 90% of ex-pats in bg have done some sort of D.I.Y since moving over and only because they know its sometimes the only way to get something done correctly. I can see what Tony is saying and I'm sure his heart is in the right place but we have to remember that this is bg and its not always as simple as some people think to get a good tradesman. Whatever way you choose to fix your problem snail Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 1430720830

associated problems - Page 2 1536469901
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 6:05 pm

I think there's some mileage in the DIY topic, and maybe we should have another thread entirely about the dangers of taking some jobs on.

Snail asked a question and, as always on this forum, was given quality advice and even prices for replacement parts, so I'm sure that will take care of the original question.

However, I still believe the DIY topic is worthy of sensible discussion as I've seen some truly frightening happenings (and workmanship), not only from the ex-pat community but the local Bulgarians!

In fact, some of the workmanship form so-called professionals I've seen has been worse than my DIY attempts! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sorry about your thread getting taken over Snail, but obviously, this is a subject worth discussing Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 1536469901
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 6:12 pm

I've split this Chris let me know if this is what you meant? g
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 7:09 pm

My bit of research.

What is defined by the term accident ending with a tad of humor.

Advertisement (Bad banner? Please let us know)

Ads by Google
Ask a Lawyer Online Now
A Lawyer Will Answer You Now! A Question is Answered Every 9 Sec.
Law.JustAnswer.com
Toyota Safety Technology
Everyone Deserves to be Safe. STAR Safety System Comes Standard.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Get Rid of Your Timeshare
Got a timeshare you no longer use? Guaranteed solution to your problem
GiveBackTimeshare.com
Be a Safe Driver
Driving safety depends on vision. Try new Stealth wiper blades
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Arrest Records: 2 Secrets
1) Enter Name and State. 2) Access Full Background Checks Instantly.
InstantCheckmate.com
ac·ci·dent (ks-dnt, -dnt)
n.
a. An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm: car accidents on icy roads.
b. An unforeseen incident: A series of happy accidents led to his promotion.
c.
2. Lack of intention;
chance: ran into an old friend by accident.
3. Logic A circumstance or attribute that is not essential to the nature of something.
[Middle English, chance event, from Old French, from Latin accidns, accident-, present participle of accidere, to happen : ad-, ad- + cadere, to fall;
see kad- in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage®️ Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©️2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
accident [ˈæksɪdənt]
n
1. an unforeseen event or one without an apparent cause
2. anything that occurs unintentionally or by chance;
chance;
fortune I met him by accident
3. a misfortune or mishap, esp one causing injury or death
4. (Philosophy / Logic) Also called adjunct Logic Philosophy a nonessential attribute or characteristic of something (as opposed to substance)
5. (Philosophy) Metaphysics a property as contrasted with the substance in which it inheres
6. (Earth Sciences / Geological Science) Geology a surface irregularity in a natural formation, esp in a rock formation or a river system
[via Old French from Latin accident- chance, happening, from the present participle of accidere to befall, happen, from ad- to + cadere to fall]

An instance of involuntary urination or defecation in one's clothing. Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 1865348797 Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 1865348797 Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 1865348797
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Well Tony, I have to say that lot has gone straight over my head, you must be intellegent or I must be very thick

Do It Yourself is something that I do what I can, when I can, and how I can, also it's to save money

There is also a sense of achievement if one can Do It One's self g

I built every bit of the extentions to the front and the side of our house, the footings to the fittings and fixtures in doors, the only thing I did not do was fitting the plumbing for the central heating. Every stage of the building work was inspected and passed by the building inspector

Comments made about so called experts in the building industry in Bulgaria have been a bone of contention for many of us. I employed a Bulgarian to build our outside kitchen, when I saw the standard of his work I continued to build it myself with him being my labourer

As most will know I was a Professional Photographer but I enjoyed my spare time with a bit of DIY and in the process saved a lot of money

All the best to the budding DIY enthusiast's
Back to top Go down
Andy
Super user
Super user
Andy

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Sorry Tony but I don't get it either Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 3998065313 I can't see anything in the links you have posted that has anything to do with this topic so can you explain it to me a mere mortal.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 8:39 pm

The final statement in my previous post was to highlite that an accident can be explained as just as simple as wetting your pants and an accident happens about every 9 secs, sorry about the other rubbish it was a cut and paste jobby. In HSE stats it can be seen that the most accidents are caused by either doing or resulting from DIY. It is nothing uncommon for Accident and Emergency units to be over run with minor accidents at weekends and of course at Bank Holiday times. Was it not Paul Daniels that lost a finger only very recently. Most accidents are caused by people trying to use short cuts. This can be said of the professional as well as the DIY person. An example being do we all wear safety glasses when we drill a hole in a wall, er no. But we should.

I am not against DIY in any way. I do my own DIY some good some not so good but I get by. Bryans extension is wonderful and well done Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 570106603 Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 570106603 All I ever ask of people is not to do what they are not capable of doing. A bit like snail he had not got a clue as to why his battery kept going flat. So he asked on here and has got in my opinion some constructive advice.
Back to top Go down
Alfie
Junior user
Junior user

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 8:52 pm

Batteries and temperature extremes do not mix well. Especially if your battery is close to failure (old, stressed, knackered, whatever). Cold will always kill a sick or failing battery. The problem is, you don't normally notice battery degradation until it goes completely tits up.
I'd guess you need a new battery.
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Tonyb60 can you point us to where it says "
most accidents are caused by either doing or resulting from DIY"
I would like to have a look at this and get a bigger picture of accidents around the home and in the garden against DIY.
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 11:53 pm

I too would question that but Tony maybe right. Lets see the figures Tony Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 739492727
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 6:21 am

this was an interesting read.

DIY shows on television 'causing rise in accidents'

By Richard Downie

12:00AM GMT 19 Mar 2001

POPULAR DIY television programmes such as Changing Rooms are responsible for a sharp rise in home accidents, says a leading safety organisation.

Home improvement programmes were blamed by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents for statistics which showed there were 99,000 serious DIY-related accidents last year, up 14,000 on 1996. On average 70 people die each year from injuries sustained while doing DIY, say Department of Trade and Industry home accident surveillance statistics
Back to top Go down
snail
Senior user
Senior user

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:27 am

l understand Chris and you are right.lt is worth mentioning because of the terrible jobs done on cars.
Please by all means let the members carry on with the debate since it will generate some good advice for others that could help them.
Like me for instance.
l am a right plonker when it comes to diy car mechanics.
Back to top Go down
Charvez
Junior user
Junior user

associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:42 am

This whole thread has gone way past my head.

If it's DIY, then I tend to go by the rules of;
do it patiently, do it methodically, measure twice - do it once and use common sense.

It's worked for me so far.

By the way, although there are quite a few different opinions on here, I don't think it can be said that people are unwilling to help you g
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: DIY & associated problems   Re: DIY &
associated problems - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re: DIY & associated problems

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next