altText

Cost of Living

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fido
Junior user
Junior user

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:48 pm

You might be interested in these statistics comparing European countries. Overall, Bulgaria seems to be the place to be:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... 028-EN.PDF

It would be interesting to know how they arrive at the figures for food as certainly the supermarket prices in Bulgaria seem expensive compared to UK.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 12:25 pm

I think Bulgaria is the best place to be at the moment given the financial problems everywhere else. Bulgaria might be a poor country which means that there is less to lose in general terms. No huge credit crisis anyway. As for supermarket food prices. I agree prices seem to rise every week but it rather depends what you buy as to whether its more expensive than in UK. If you stick to Bulgarian products its still very cheap but once you include anything imported its obviously likely to be more expensive. Its all swings and roundabouts as everything else in life. My partner and I certainly could never eat and drink in Britain on my one basic State Pension as we do here in Bulgaria including paying bills. The report is therefore accurate I think, however they obtained the statistics.
By the way Fido, I see you are a classic car enthusiast. Do you live in Bulgaria now and do you have a classic car or bike? If so, you might be interested in joining our Retro Car and Bike parade from Veliko Turnovo to Village Mindya as part of our Mindya Rockfest! Cost of Living 3023850720
Back to top Go down
fido
Junior user
Junior user

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 1:48 pm

I do have a couple of old bikes but I'm still in UK at the moment. I hope your event is a success and you post a few photos on here. I don't suppose there are so many classic vehicles in Bulgaria because fewer people owned their own cars / bikes than in western Europe.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 1:55 pm

fido wrote:
I do have a couple of old bikes but I'm still in UK at the moment

What do you call old fido?

(ps. sorry to take this off topic!)

My first bike was a BSA Bantam. First six years of my life were spent in the sidecar of a BSA 500 and an Ariel square four!

My Dad, God rest his soul, never managed to afford the Vincent Black Shadow that he always dreamed of!

He was still riding until his dying days, and I imagine I'll be the same (although my rather bland 600 Yamaha doesn't quite do the job!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
fido
Junior user
Junior user

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 4:22 pm

The current ones are a 1948 BSA A7 500cc twin and a 1968 Velocette LE ex Police "
noddy bike"
but I've had all sorts over the years.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This is a 1976 Rickman Suzuki 750 I restored some years ago:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 am

Nice set of bikes fido ... did you restore the BSA yourself?

The Rickman Suzuki was the first 750 I rode, it scared me witless [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
fido
Junior user
Junior user

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 8:32 am

The BSA had been restored before I got it in 1995 but I've done a few jobs since including getting the frame powder coated. That photo is a few years old and some parts need doing again now.
I thought that Rickman was unique as they only actually made the CR rolling chassis to suit the Honda 750 or the Kawasaki 900 engine. A previous owner had badly bodged it by welding on engine mountings to take the Suzuki lump. The Reynolds 531 tubing is not meant to be welded, all joints are normally brazed. I think mine was the Honda version and the rear wheel sprocket was not ideal as it made the bike under geared.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 10:36 am

fido wrote:
You might be interested in these statistics comparing European countries. Overall, Bulgaria seems to be the place to be:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... 028-EN.PDF

It would be interesting to know how they arrive at the figures for food as certainly the supermarket prices in Bulgaria seem expensive compared to UK.

Statistics are often taken with a pinch of salt, the people that put the statistics together always seem to make them look whatever is in their own interest. Government figures for instance always show a glowing report of what they have done for the great British electorate, but usually miss out figures that can change the whole look of them which acts against them in public.
One of the most famous statistics was how healthy a plate of spinach was for you, only to find out years later after many had eaten platefuls of the horrible stuff that the idiot that did the statistics in the first place put a decimal point in the wrong place. Well . . . what a surprise!!

Cost of Living 3998065313 Cost of Living 3998065313
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Very true Itchyfeet but I still think that Bulgaria is the best place to be at the moment even if the statistics are not quite accurate!
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 9:02 pm

AH GUESS we missed this one

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ifestyle

Veliko Tarnovo Hosts Bulgaria's 1st Meeting of Harley-Davidson Owners
Lifestyle | July 2, 2011, Saturday
Bulgaria: Veliko Tarnovo Hosts Bulgaria's 1st Meeting of Harley-Davidson Owners
Bulgarian Harley-Davidson owners have gathered in Veliko Tarnovo;
the medieval fortress Tsarevists is visible in the background. Photo by Darik Veliko Tarnovo

The first ever meeting of Bulgarian owners of Harley-Davidson motorcycles has been hosted by Veliko Tarnovo, a tourism center and Bulgaria's medieval capital.

About 150 people in Bulgaria own Harley-Davidson bikes, and half of those were expected to attend the meeting as the organizers sent invitations to Harley-Davidson clubs in Bulgaria and in neighboring countries.

The major driving force of the first Bulgarian Harley-Davidson meeting has been Veliko Tarnovo businessman Petar Stefanov from the Bed Company Motor Club, Darik Veliko Tarnovo reported.

Stefanov is the owner of a 1600-cubic Harley-Davidson Fatboy that he purchased from the USA 5 years ago, the same model that was show in hit movie Terminator 2.
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user
Gimp

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Maybe this topic should be split they are both of interest
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Good idea Gimp but before it is split can I just mention that there will be Harley Davidson bikes in the parade to Mindya - folks will go to any event to show off their prized bikes and cars. Any Brits with a car or bike is welcome to join in.
Now back to topic !
Even with the food and drink price rises, to say nothing of electric, gas and water - we still manage on my pension of £400 pm. We live very basically using the village shop for most things only going to town about once a week. It also includes bills. How long this will last I don't know but that's when we will have to start using savings for bills just like my mother did in UK back in the 90s. Nothing much changes for the ordinary people does it? To offset this state of affairs, I have a lovely home with a lot of land, beautiful flower garden to sit in and read my book with my pets around me. I would not have this in Britain and I have no debts whatsoever. Aren't I lucky? So I would suggest that people who continually moan about what Bulgaria lacks should count the blessings instead.
I can't believe I just said that - I sound like a right old codger don't I? I'm not really and will still be rocking at our Rockfest in August!!! s
Back to top Go down
Brian1
Senior user
Senior user
Brian1

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Bulgarian consumers have been hit by sharp increases in the prices of some basic foodstuffs in the past few months, which have added to the cost of living already made more difficult to cope with because of rising fuel and other prices.

The price of chicken meat was reported by mid-September to be seven per cent higher than at the beginning of June, while the wholesale price of pork has increased by 15 per cent. Meat prices are being driven upwards by global prices of grain.

Since the beginning of August, flour has risen in price by 10 per cent while the price of eggs is up by 14 per cent. The prices of white and yellow cheese also have risen, albeit to a lesser extent, during this time.

About a third of Bulgarian household income goes on spending on food, going by National Statistical Institute figures released earlier in 2012.

According to official statistics, the overall index of consumer prices shows inflation from the beginning of 2012 to August to have been 2.6 per cent.

However, August saw fuel prices hit record highs, with the price of a litre of A95, commonly-used in light vehicles, reaching 2.79 leva (about 1.39 euro). This was higher than previous peaks in March 2012 and August 2011.

Going by calculations reported by public broadcaster Bulgarian National Radio, this means that a Bulgarian on an average salary can buy 220 litres of A95 a month, less than their counterparts in Romania, Hungary and Lithuania. Various factors affect fuel prices in Bulgaria – prices of crude on international markets, the Iran fuel trade embargo, the weakening of the lev against the dollar, the profits wanted by oil refineries and distributors that have major market presence in the Bulgarian market and government reluctance to ask Brussels to agree to lower excises on fuels, the latter already below EU minimums.

Electricity and natural gas prices went up as of July 1, and higher prices of heating will bring discomfort when winter arrives. BNR predicted that 2013 is likely to see large increases in electricity prices as businesses are required to meet targets to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

Economists at Bulgaria’s two major trade union federations say that the higher cost of living will have a knock-on effect on consumption and thus on the economy as a whole. According to figures released at the end of August by European Union statistics office Eurostat, at 12.4 per cent, unemployment inBulgariain July 2012 was higher than both the averages for the EU and for the 17-member euro zone.

All of these factors are certain to come into play inBulgaria’s summer 2013 national parliamentary elections, when opposition parties are likely to bring into play cost-of-living issues.

This is the background to moves by the centre-right GERB government headed by Prime Minister Boiko Borissov, elected in July 2009, to increase pensions in 2013 as well as raising the minimum salary threshold. The government has signalled that it intends pension increases to compensate for the accumulated inflation of close to 11 per cent over the past three years, but there have been mixed signals about the amount by which pensions will increase, and when the increase will take effect. Current announcements suggest a pension increase in the seven to eight per cent range.

Pensions inBulgariacurrently average 250 leva (about 125 euro). According to calculations by the Confederation of Independent Trade Unions in Bulgaria (CITUB) released earlier in 2012, to meet the cost of living in March, the average income per household member should have been 560 leva a month. If you prefer, for a household of four, that means a monthly household income of 2240 leva, to cover spending on food, housing, clothing and a holiday “in conformity with Bulgarian standards”. But the picture used by CITUB was of a household of four made up of two adults and two children, meaning that each adult should be getting 1120 leva.

National Statistical Institute figures put Bulgarian average monthly income at 760 leva, reporting that this figure increased in both of the first two quarters of 2012 – but it should also be taken into account that the number of people on labour contracts (meaning, salaried jobs) has decreased;
as per those unemployment figures above.

The government has said that it would increase teachers’ salaries and there have been indications about pay increases elsewhere in the public service, reportedly including staff at nursing homes, the Agency for Social Assistance and the Employment Agency. A clearer picture will emerge only when the Budget is finalised and tabled in Parliament.

Some further notes on Bulgarians’ income and spending. According to National Statistical Institute data released in June, the rate of increase of spending by Bulgarians was higher than income growth, an obvious consequence of rising costs.

But further too, the occasional busts of people for concealing of income, as per the periodic announcements by the Interior Ministry and especially the National Revenue Agency, indicate that official statistics on incomes may not be entirely accurate;
allowing for the fact that some of those bust, owners of yachts and luxury German cars, may not be having quite as tough a time as a family in a panel block worried by the lengthening shadow of their coming winter heating, fuel and food bills.

Down load the lates info from the NSI its a pdf file [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cost of Living Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cost of Living   Cost of Living Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cost of Living

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1