altText

House martins.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 2:57 pm

it will not be long before the house martins like the storks will be returning to build nests and have their young. how do i stop them making nests on my house wall. as much as i like this beautiful bird and love to watch the young, they are mucky, they may keep their homes clean but they throw all the muck on my windows yuk. i had 2 nests last year and i believe they return home. i need to stop this before more and more house martins choose my house.
i have a bungalow so its not too high, but a friend of mine had about 20 nests last year and what a problem they caused.
how do i stop them peacefully. c H
Back to top Go down
smallholder

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 3:00 pm

You can stop them by hanging plastic bags or dark plastic cut into strips. They flap around and put off the house martins from building there nests

Daveg
Back to top Go down
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 3:04 pm

We use chicken wire in between the roof and the top of the wall to stop the birdies getting into the eaves - definitely works.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:29 pm

When you have cleared off the old nest or where they were wash with a bleach solution.

As soon as you see them wash away the initial nesting material.

But the solution is like me with the mole move house. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:52 pm

tonyb60 wrote:
When you have cleared off the old nest or where they were wash with a bleach solution.

But the solution is like me with the mole move house. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

yes Tony your quite right this works

Mike
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:56 pm

mickhev wrote:
tonyb60 wrote:

yes Tony your quite right this works

Mike

Forgot to say or buy a gun. We had Swifts last year and the boss said leave them alone. But they were in the BBQ area, Burgers and Bird S**t lovely. Still didn't have to but any Salad Cream [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:27 pm

House martins. 2381841692 Tony you are so funny House martins. 2381841692 I nearly choked on my drink House martins. 2706089290 No sure I will look at burgers in the same light again now

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Humour wicked. House martins. 2079180590

Got to live up to the title.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Please learn to live with nature! It is considered lucky to have house martins nest in your property. We had a couple of nests when we bought our house and since painting the overhang blue we have lots more. Maybe they liked the new decoration. Yes, they make a bit of a mess on the ground and walls but let it dry and scrape it off. Its bad luck to destroy the nest and the birds tend to come back to the same nest each year to have their young. I love watching them flying in and out and the little baby bird heads poking out. They certainly wake us early in the morning when they have their squabbles over a nest but its a small price to pay. s
Back to top Go down
LisA
Super user
Super user
LisA

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 7:29 pm

smallholder wrote:
You can stop them by hanging plastic bags or dark plastic cut into strips. They flap around and put off the house martins from building there nests

Daveg

I tried that but it didn't work for me so I nailed a few old cd's around which reflected and spun in the wind and it worked .
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 8:37 pm

might have a go at the cd idea. i have tolerance of nature and i like birds in my garden but i draw the line at the mess on my kitchen window, yuk. try and tempt them to the car port, much more acceptable. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
therowfamily
Super user
Super user
therowfamily

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:30 pm

LisA wrote:
smallholder wrote:

Daveg

I tried that but it didn't work for me so I nailed a few old cd's around which reflected and spun in the wind and it worked .

I've noticed the Bulgarians use this system on their land too in order to keep away birds and other animals that might steel their crops so if anyone knows I would say they do but if in doubt ask your Bulgarian neighbour
Back to top Go down
sandra6
Junior user
Junior user

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 1:23 pm

ive had baby birds, blue &
yellow dont no what they are? they nest in the front gate post box which is fine as no1 posts owt as im english, theyve been there last 2 yrs so hope they come back this yr to, the bottom sometimes drops off the post box &
the old empty nest has fallen out &
was a bit damp so chucked out, but they build a new 1. sandra
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

House martins. Empty
PostSubject: Re: House martins.   House martins. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

House martins.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1