Does anyone live in Sliven

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

Does anyone live in Sliven Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone live in Sliven   Does anyone live in Sliven Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Can you tell me a little of what the area is like out of town, I know it is spread out. I have a map and would like going towards Yambol / Burgas. So if you are around in this part I would like to hear from you.
All about village life, the people, were you made to feel welcome, and is it a safe area. Really anything you can think of. I would be most grateful.
Annette
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone live in Sliven   Does anyone live in Sliven Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Does anyone live in Sliven 1763269238

Hi Itchyfeet

We don't live in Sliven but we bought a place about 15 miles out of Sliven. We have not been back there for about 5 years now so assume our property is still standing. The village is nice and the people were friendly but we were there for a few hours as the property is in need of renovation. The town of Sliven is quite nice has a river running through it. Some wonderful shops and I believe a market place too. There is a fab golf course with 5* hotel. There is a formula one race track already built but still awaiting authorisations. I also read that they are looking at building a ski resort around there.

It might be worth paying Sliven a visit anyway, just to see what you think. Every year we said we will visit but we just never seem to get the time.

Good luck

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone live in Sliven   Does anyone live in Sliven Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 7:13 am

We don't live in Sliven, but the market town of Kotel, around 1 hour from Sliven (going towards the coast and Bourgas). Whilst our town is lovely, with facilities for all day-to-day living, we still do a trip to Sliven every few weeks, sometimes to visit the meat market and fruit market, other times just to sit outside one of the many cafes and have a coffee with friends. They also have large, western supermarkets such as Billa, Kaufland and Penny Market.

As far as Kotel is concerned, we couldn't have chosen anywhere better. The people are lovely, the town is extremely well looked after and maintained. We have everything you need as far as shops, cafes, restaurants, doctors, post office, police, hospital, etc., goes, but is a much 'slower' way of life than Sliven ... with most deliveries still made by horse and cart.

We also have a bus station with regular buses to Sliven, Sofia and Bourgas, and we have a twice-weekly open air market.

It's also much higher than Sliven and has fabulous views of the mountains from just about everywhere. It's also a very important part of the Bulgarian Revolution period.

Lots more photos of Kotel town (and our house) are in this topic:
[url:2nbxc30l]http:
//www.
ourbulgariaforum.
com/viewtopic.
php?f=76&
t=1144[/url:2nbxc30l]
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone live in Sliven   Does anyone live in Sliven Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks so far for my two replies.
I have seen your house and pictures Chris it is a lovely area, but a bit too far from the airport and too close to the town for us.
We live near a school here in Turkey and we hate it. The parents wiz past on scooters and in cars, park anywhere, the children come to our gate and torment our dogs, even throw stones at our home to get the dogs to bark if they are indoors.
And you would not believe the amount of rubbish they drop, sweet wrappers plastic bottles bits of paper that is wrapped around food they buy in school, they are the most dirty unruly lot I have ever come across. When we go out we lock our gate which we have had raised to about six foot something, if we don't they come in the garden.

So we want peace and quiet, a nice village with not too much activity going on in the road near us, and as far away from a school as possible.
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone live in Sliven   Does anyone live in Sliven Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 3:29 pm

I can understand what your saying about the hustle and bustle of some places but having visited Kotel I can tell you its a lovely place and completely the opposite to a madhouse, its very quaint place and steeped in history.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone live in Sliven   Does anyone live in Sliven Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Thank goodness I live in Kotel!

The school is perhaps 500 yards from our front gate, but you would never even know it was there. Our favourite neighbour was a teacher there his entire life.

The kids are quiet, orderly, pick up their rubbish and are extremely polite (Good Day Sir, Good Day Madam, etc.).

I think you need a good trip to Bulgaria, prior to comparing situations here to Turkey (which I've visited many times, both sides of the country).
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone live in Sliven   Does anyone live in Sliven Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 9:01 pm

have to agree. you need to visit bulgaria, i live an hour from varna airport, 2 minutes from a school, which you would not know it was there. find bulgaria so peaceful and quiet and i mean quiet, a cockrel, a dog sometimes and at midnight there is silence. bliss. come over, stay in the village that interests you and see for yourself how life really is. I think you will find a totally different way of life here from the one you describe. g
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone live in Sliven   Does anyone live in Sliven Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 10:21 pm

Yes we will be visiting as soon as we can.
We will also want to rent for a few months to explore and see some different areas. We do not intend to rush into anything.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone live in Sliven   Does anyone live in Sliven Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 10:34 pm

how wise, look around, there is so much to see, but the emphasis is quiet, laid back and peaceful, such a slow pace of life which have to say takes a while to adjust to, but it really is nice, hope you find what you really want. i have. g
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone live in Sliven   Does anyone live in Sliven Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does anyone live in Sliven

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1