View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 1:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

[size=55:1dbcp8ij]Sofia echo 19 October 2010

British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria

The British community in the village of Avren, municipality of Varna, fed up with what they see as the failure of local government, has decided to take matters in their own hands by appointing their own candidate in the local elections, the private Bulgarian television channel bTV reported on October 18 2010.

About 20 British families permanently reside in Avren, one of the largest British communities in the region. The community has apparently grown tired of their pleas falling on deaf ears, so in accordance with the Lisbon Treaty, they have decided to act.

The Lisbon treaty is an international agreement amending the two treaties which comprise the constitutional basis of the European Union – the Treaty of Maastricht, and the Treaty of Rome, or the initial treaty of the European Community. It stipulates that every citizen of a European member state country is allowed the same rights in his adopted country as local citizens.

The treaty, which was signed by EU member states on December 13 2007, and entered into force on 1 December 2009, states in some of its provisions, that it ensures greater economic, social and territorial cohesion as well as "
common safety concerns in public health matters, for the aspects defined in this Treaty"

The British in Avram are upset because the locals keep on littering. They say that they want to keep the place as tidy as it would be in the UK.

Like other residents of Avren, the expats are also concerned at the poor state of local infrastructure. Hence they have formed – in a move unprecedented for Bulgaria – a foreign club that will have a say in local politics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com

AuthorMessage
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 8:47 am

seven wrote:
Just to stir things up, not that I'm against this at all, but would you all be really happy if a Bulgarian ran for MP in your local area that you came from in the UK, if there were 20 Bulgarians in the village???? Because, lets say they feel that they should have the right to litter.... as it is only because of where you come from that you feel this is right or wrong.... (As I said just thought i'd see what came back...., as I have found that on a lot of the other forums what is good for one is never good for the other)....

Why do you think that you will stir things up? It is all about freedom of speech being fair and seeing the other persons point of view. :Great:If things get out of hand that is what us mods do g

My point of view is, well I would not like it and hence I would not vote for that person as that is my right. But there are areas in the UK with a so called foreign person as MP. In fact there are several British Asian MP's Afro Caribbean etc. So in reality it does happen. :British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 3897195628: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 3998065313 British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2345823347
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 9:01 am

British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 1763269238

Personally no, if the person applying for the position feels they are capable of doing the job to the best of their ability than good luck to them British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 1536469901 It what you can do with your skills that counts g

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 4:08 pm

From my point of view I would not like to stand as a local Brit on Bulgarian politics. We live in Bulgaria and I really think its up to the Bulgarians to sort out their politics. As for litter, why not just lead by example and pick it up in bin bags and take to a rubbish tip? If I was a Bulgarian I would be very p....ed off if an incoming Brit tried to stand for local politics. I hope their language skills are good.
By all means integrate into the village way of life, but I think many who live here fulltime, must agree that interfering with a British way of looking at things is a recipe for disaster. Slowly things will change but its up to the Bulgarians otherwise it smacks of British superiority and patronising to me but that's just my view.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Admin wrote:
[size=55:32oj5mya]Sofia echo 19 October 2010

The British community in the village of Avren, municipality of Varna, fed up with what they see as the failure of local government, has decided to take matters in their own hands by appointing their own candidate in the local elections, the private Bulgarian television channel bTV reported on October 18 2010.

About 20 British families permanently reside in Avren, one of the largest British communities in the region. The community has apparently grown tired of their pleas falling on deaf ears, so in accordance with the Lisbon Treaty, they have decided to act.

The Lisbon treaty is an international agreement amending the two treaties which comprise the constitutional basis of the European Union – the Treaty of Maastricht, and the Treaty of Rome, or the initial treaty of the European Community. It stipulates that every citizen of a European member state country is allowed the same rights in his adopted country as local citizens.

The treaty, which was signed by EU member states on December 13 2007, and entered into force on 1 December 2009, states in some of its provisions, that it ensures greater economic, social and territorial cohesion as well as "
common safety concerns in public health matters, for the aspects defined in this Treaty"

The British in Avram are upset because the locals keep on littering. They say that they want to keep the place as tidy as it would be in the UK.

Like other residents of Avren, the expats are also concerned at the poor state of local infrastructure. Hence they have formed – in a move unprecedented for Bulgaria – a foreign club that will have a say in local politics.

British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2581928987
Has anybody got any more and up to date information on this topic British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 3356871870

ie:- when are they going to the polling station for these elections and who is the canditate c
If the canditate is successful will he/she be representing the Village of Avren, population approx 800 people or would it be the Municipality of Avren,
population approx 8000 people, and would I be correct in suggesting that the successful canditate would have to represent citizens from Britain, and all other European Union Countries British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 1536469901

A very interesting topic and one that should be high-lighted, if successful throughout the Media. Let's hope that this topic is picked up by the potential canditate and can inform us all as to what the proposals are for a better life T
Back to top Go down
Kahl1963
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 5:35 pm

British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290

I like this, perhaps we can take a leaf out of their book in our village!!!

British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 5:44 pm

I guess it depends on what your village is like. Avren sounds as if there are a lot of Brits there whereas our village only has very few fulltime residents. Everyone gets on very well and the village is kept tidy. Any complaints go through our Mayor and we are all invited to any community events. whether or not the Brits decide to attend is up to them and most feel little need to integrate or stand for local politics. We all get on very well.
Personally, I will support our village any way I can but that does not extend to meddling in politics which I have no time for in general.
I have read a while ago that a Brit became the local Mayor in a village in France. Good luck to him and I suppose if you are really and truly involved its no bad thing but I just wonder how educated Brits in Bulgaria are in the ways of Bulgarian politics even at village level.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Kahl1963 wrote:

I like this, perhaps we can take a leaf out of their book in our village!!!

[size=150:4cltiyly]Are you up for election then British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 :British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 1931734156: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 1536469901
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 8:09 pm

oldun wrote:
From my point of view I would not like to stand as a local Brit on Bulgarian politics. We live in Bulgaria and I really think its up to the Bulgarians to sort out their politics. As for litter, why not just lead by example and pick it up in bin bags and take to a rubbish tip? If I was a Bulgarian I would be very p....ed off if an incoming Brit tried to stand for local politics. I hope their language skills are good.
By all means integrate into the village way of life, but I think many who live here fulltime, must agree that interfering with a British way of looking at things is a recipe for disaster. Slowly things will change but its up to the Bulgarians otherwise it smacks of British superiority and patronising to me but that's just my view.

Totally agree with the Statement' If I was a Bulgarian I would be very p....ed off if an incoming Brit tried to stand for local politics. I hope their language skills are good.' Blend in is my best advice for anyone.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 8:55 pm

tonyb60 wrote:
oldun wrote:

Totally agree with the Statement' If I was a Bulgarian I would be very p....ed off if an incoming Brit tried to stand for local politics. I hope their language skills are good.' Blend in is my best advice for anyone.

Well, well, well Tony, there is a contradiction if ever there was one :British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 3897195628: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2345823347 British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 3998065313
On the 10 November you said and I quote:- Nice to see these people are prepared to join. Good luck to the candidate British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 1430720830
and now you make a statement that you would be very p***ed off if an incoming Brit were to stand for local politics British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2079180590
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Nowt wrong with either statement.

Plus the quote said if I was a Bulgarian.

You seem to have changed my words from 'If I were a Bulgarian' to the statement that I have said that 'I' have said this that and the other. You can decrease my Karma by all means which is what you have probably done. Maybe pure coincidence that it was decreased straight after your statement That is your choice.

You seem to have this opinion that you can question other members but get offended if you are questioned yourself. Initially I thought that maybe I had sat on both sides of the fence. But on reading my reply to oldun I realized that I was actually putting myself in a Bulgarian persons position. Have you thought along these lines as well?
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 8:27 am

I was concerned in making my post about not joining in local politics but I am pleased that Tonyb60 has done what I always try to do by putting on his Bulgarian head. This is what I always try to do when I find myself wondering why the Bulgarians do this or don't do that. I am in Bulgaria and have no desire to upset the status quo and upset my popularity in our village. If that is sticking my head in the sand, so be it. My soapbox days are over but it will be interesting to see how the Brits in Avren get along both with the Bulgarians and each other once they achieve their places on the local council.
Back to top Go down
seven
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 5:16 pm

For myself, I like to think about the other jobs a major is meant to do in the village and would I, (if I were Bulgarian like it at all). Ours mayoress sorts out all the funerals!!!! Has to check each residence right for municipality wood!!Goes to check the gypsies clearing the bushes at the sides of the roads, upholds complaints, guns licences, dog licences, horse killings, thefts etc.. If you have to have a translator in tow then this is a 24 hour job, unless your going to delegate and just concentrate on what the brits want....... or just take the bribs and sit back and drink rakia like a lot do, do. :British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 3897195628: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 2345823347 British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 3998065313
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Just a quick question does anyone know if these brits are still running for office? and more importantly does anyone know them
Back to top Go down
pixi
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgari   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 6:46 pm

Yes it seems to have gone all quiet about this, but you know what they say, no news is good news.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria   British expats to run for municipal elections in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2