altText

Winter tips for your property and related information

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Winter tips for your property and related information   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 3:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

Winter tips for your property and related information when leaving it empty

Outside

Check that the roof is watertight

Check for broken tiles and replace as needed

Check for tiles that may have slipped and make sure you refit them

If you have a chimney then this is a good time to check it

Clean our the gutters and make sure the drainpipes run free

Check the ridge tiles/coping stones for any movement or gaps

Check all the exterior woodwork for any flaking paint

Inside

Drain the boiler

Drain the toilet cistern

Drain all the taps both hot and cold and leave them open

Clean and empty the 'S' bends under the all sinks (if they are accessible)

Turn off the water completely at the mains

Switch of all electrical appliances

Switch of all gas connections

Switch off the main power supply to the house

Check round your house for any small holes that a mouse could get in and seal it

Check that all doors and windows close fully and are sealed well

If you have central heating Put some antifreeze in the system

Give the someone you trust a spare set of keys so the house can be checked on

I'm sure others will have more tips to add here so lets hear them g
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com

AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for winter......   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Good topic for any new members. A gas ring is always good to have for those electrical emergencies. Also, keep a stack of wood near the house for when the deep snow comes. We cover our dog kennel with blankets for extra insulation and plenty of hay in the chicken shed. The winters here are just as cold as the summers are hot although the most severe winter weather is USUALLY January and February. Even down south in Bulgaria they have had extreme weather some winters so don't be fooled by thinking you are in a warmer area. I like the winters and after a long very hot summer am looking forward to being cosy by our woodburner and also cooking in it as well. Economic! However you must be prepared early because every year is different.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for winter......   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 4:55 pm

hot water bottles, cant beat them. :Yes:
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for winter......   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 6:00 pm

starlite wrote:
hot water bottles, cant beat them. :Yes:

Now you're talking! Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 1865348797 Got a stockpile already!
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for winter......   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Yes we must get some hot water bottles in case the electric goes off.
Having lived in Turkey for five years believe it or not the winters were cold and damp. And no insulation in your properties, then caused mildew.
That is where we found out about the electric blaney, everybody had them, of course Eric thought they were only for old people... but we would not be without one now, plus they kept the bed aired as well. Heaven.
They are good to put on the sofa to keep extra warm while watching the T.V.
Angel
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for winter......   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 7:32 pm

itchyfeet wrote:
Yes we must get some hot water bottles in case the electric goes off.
Having lived in Turkey for five years believe it or not the winters were cold and damp. And no insulation in your properties, then caused mildew.
That is where we found out about the electric blaney, everybody had them, of course Eric thought they were only for old people... but we would not be without one now, plus they kept the bed aired as well. Heaven.
They are good to put on the sofa to keep extra warm while watching the T.V.
Angel

NOW Annette, I believe you are soiling this old boy Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 2381841692
Back to top Go down
nazdrav
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for winter......   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Glad i read this post, never thought of some of the suggestions myself, will come in handy when we move over permenantly
Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for winter......   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Weather forecasts here are a bit more predictable than in the UK - if you are from the UK you will be familiar with the concept of treating the weather reporters with a certain amount of disdain. Most members of the public would concede that it's not actually the weatherman's fault that you can't believe what he says, but you can't believe what he says nonetheless. Over here we are slowly forming a relationship of trust with that queer breed. They have certainly been invaluable to us during the coldest period of the year... which leads me on to some tips for enduring the cold winters here. From about mid-November, snow is very likely to occur. We checked out the annual average temperatures and precipitation in the upcoming months: this will give a rough idea of what is in store in any specific area, but of course the average is rarely the reality of things as we experienced this year. It has been known to snow in Northern Bulgaria before mid-November, and by January it is pretty much a certainty that there will be a foot of snow. This cold weather endures for a month or two before the snow melts, so it is really worth stocking up on staples. I have about 8kg of flour, 10 litres of milk, a kg of butter and sugar (because I need cake), plenty of beans and pulses and fruit and veg. A chest freezer is a great idea in this kind of weather, because you can freeze just about anything (even milk, as my mum does;
she lives in Hampshire though so it's not really necessary - I think she just hates shopping). Another good reason to stock up early is that stocks of even basics such as milk and bread are really dwindling in local shops. So you're stocked up on food, great! How about water? It is worth getting tens of litres of water in bottles in case the pipes freeze up. Well, the actual recommended quantity is difficult to give and I don't want to be responsible for giving a specific figure, so you are better off speaking to locals to see what their experience is, as water services and pipe runs will differ. If you have a direct-fed boiler (i.e. you don't have a storage tank) you can always dip into this as it is basically mains hot water, but drinking repeatedly boiled water as is what may be in your boiler is generally not a good idea. You can do your best to prevent pipes within your home from freezing by lagging them with whatever insulating material you can find. Unless you are confident at plumbing and have the tools and the materials, you will be very hard pressed to find someone to fix it in the deep winter. As residents will know, nothing much happens in these months.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for winter......   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 pm

All sound advice as most folk would realize. Regarding the forecasts, I have a nifty little gismo on my laptop screen called 'Weatherbug'..it provides up to date info on the weather in my area 24/7 and also has an extended forecast which has been surprisingly accurate in the 5 years I've been using it. It sometimes gets it wrong, but usually only by a small degree, so it's handy for a guide.
Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

PostSubject: Re: Winter tips for your property and related information   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Weather forecasts here are a bit more predictable than in the UK - if you are from the UK you will be familiar with the concept of treating the weather reporters with a certain amount of disdain. Most members of the public would concede that it's not actually the weatherman's fault that you can't believe what he says, but you can't believe what he says nonetheless. Over here on mainland Europe, we are slowly forming a relationship of trust with that queer breed. They have certainly been invaluable to us during the coldest period of the year... which leads me on to some tips for enduring the cold winters here.

From about mid-November, snow is very likely to occur. We checked out the annual average temperatures and precipitation in the upcoming months: this will give a rough idea of what is in store in any specific area, but of course the average is rarely the reality of things as we have experienced. It has been known to snow in Northern Bulgaria before mid-November, and by January it is pretty much a certainty that there will be a foot of snow. This cold weather endures for a month or two before the snow melts, so it is really worth stocking up on staples. I have about 8kg of flour, 10 litres of milk, a kg of butter and sugar, plenty of beans and pulses and fruit and veg. A chest freezer is a great idea in this kind of weather, because you can freeze just about anything (even milk, as my mum does;
she lives in Hampshire though so it's not really necessary - I think she just hates shopping). Another good reason to stock up early is that stocks of even basics such as milk and bread are really dwindling in local shops;
at least that has been our experience.

So you're stocked up on food, great! How about water? It is worth getting tens of litres of water in bottles in case the pipes freeze up. Well, the actual recommended quantity is difficult to give and I don't want to be responsible for giving a specific figure, so you are better off speaking to locals to see what their experience is, as water services and pipe runs will differ. If you have a direct-fed boiler (i.e. you don't have a storage tank) you can always dip into this as it is basically mains hot water, but drinking repeatedly boiled water as is what may be in your boiler is generally not a good idea. You can do your best to prevent pipes within your home from freezing by lagging them with whatever insulating material you can find. Unless you are confident at plumbing and have the tools and the materials, you will be very hard pressed to find someone to fix it in the deep winter. As residents will know, nothing much happens in these months.

Anyone who was in the UK over December and January has seen how unprepared the ordinary motor vehicle is in the snow, especially when the roads have not been gritted. Purchasing a set of snow tyres is a big investment in the UK, costing upwards of £1000, a cost that most people would not bother to foot as snow is a relatively rare occurrence. However it occupying a significant chunk of the year in Bulgaria really necessitates their purchase, and you will find that it is considerably cheaper here. We paid about 125 leva per tyre and this was expensive as we have a van so the tyres are bigger - we saw tyres in the hypermarket for 60 leva each, so it would cost you 240 leva in total for an ordinary car (and you really need to get all four, contrary to what you might think!). Not a big investment. Most small roads in Bulgaria may take a week or two to be ploughed (usually by the local authorities), so you may have to go out with a snow shovel to get to the main road, or use buses to get to the local town if you are really out in the sticks and need to get out in an emergency. Okay, you'll probably have to go out with a snow shovel in any case, so this is another essential investment. Even once the roads have been ploughed, there will still be a layer of compacted snow which will make driving tricky - grit is only really reserved for towns and large roads. If you are inexperienced in the snow, even if you have four a wheel drive, you will still find it difficult . Needless to say, if you don't absolutely have to go out, don't!

If you do end up driving in minus temperatures, be sure to take supplies in the car. We have had a snow shovel, double duvet, water, torches, means to make fire and food in there since November. Breaking down around minus 20°C is not an attractive prospect no matter how well prepared you are, but you can at least survive the night if you have to. Even if you do have your mobile phone, it might be a while before someone can come to help you.

Most people have wood-burning stoves as do we;
we also have a couple of oil radiators. Having a wood stove means getting plenty of wood and preparing it in advance - this means buying it at the latest during the summer (the longer you leave it the more expensive it will be) and allowing it to season in time for when you require it. Winters here are anything but simply surviving, as long as you are well prepared and your house is well-equipped with all the necessary creature comforts to keep you happy and to prevent some serious cabin fever!
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for winter......   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 8:34 am

vulcho wrote:
best to get your wood in early as it does get hard to get and more expensive in the winter a lot of wood yards run out and almost all put their prises up for good older wood that will burn well.

We have been trying to contact vulcho without success, if any member knows where he is and his current telephone number please PM us, many thanks.
Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 1536469901 Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 1536469901
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Winter tips for your property and related information   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 8:58 am

I'm afraid Vulcho may not have been a genuine member so he/she was removed sometime a go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Winter tips for your property and related information   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 4:35 pm

lucky itchyfeet ...saved by Admin ..... g
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Winter tips for your property and related information   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 11:26 pm

varnagirl wrote:
lucky itchyfeet ...saved by Admin ..... g

Yes varnagirl you are so right, only trouble is I only wanted to buy some wood, he also sold us some earlier in the year and it was darn good stuff!!

Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 1865348797 Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 2381841692 Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 1865348797 Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 2381841692
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for winter......   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 6:12 pm

bgbazz wrote:
All sound advice as most folk would realize. Regarding the forecasts, I have a nifty little gismo on my laptop screen called 'Weatherbug'..it provides up to date info on the weather in my area 24/7 and also has an extended forecast which has been surprisingly accurate in the 5 years I've been using it. It sometimes gets it wrong, but usually only by a small degree, so it's handy for a guide.

Your header was Getting ready for winter, well if you click on this link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I hope you are now ready
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Winter tips for your property and related information   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Looking at these pictures I think we have beaten Bulgaria to the winter weather Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :C:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... me=2414927
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter tips for your property and related information   Winter tips for your property and related information - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter tips for your property and related information

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next