altText

A nice suprise.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mbco
Junior user
Junior user

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 10:35 am

well I had a rather nice suprise the other day.

I already new that our village had several lakes dotted around it's outskirts, however I was over joyed when I went for a walk along a track that runs by my house. 10 minutes later and over the brow if a hill, to my surprise was a large quiet lake in a perfect picturesque setting. And to make it even better, a large grass snake was swimming to the shore (think it was a grass snake anyway).

Funny how something so nice can be so close and untouched and hidden away like that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mbcofoodstores.com
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 11:24 am

We have some lakes and a river five or so minutes away which we have not had time to explore much. When we found time to go we saw eagles, bee eaters and European suslik, as well as signs of otter and loads of amphibians. We will be returning but we like to go first thing in the morning and we are restricted by not being able to let the chooks out till light due to resident martens.

Sara

PS love the dog pic....
Back to top Go down
BGBound
Senior user
Senior user

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 2:31 pm

I think this country has a lot of hidden treasures . We drive 30km to do our main shop in Pleven and it is always a pleasure. The journey is never boring and virtually traffic free. The landscape is constantly changing at this time of year and we see a wide variety of wildlife. We are also lucky to have several lakes in the area and one on our doorstep. Went fishing there a little while back with a few of my village friends and we all caught some sizeable common and mirror carp.It makes for a great life here. Three months in and we love it ! :-) A nice suprise. 2581928987 A nice suprise. 1763269238
Back to top Go down
mbco
Junior user
Junior user

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Quote :

Sara

PS love the dog pic....

Thanks, i'm waiting for my boy (my labrador) to come over. He's not due till next march when I have the house ready, he will love the lake!.

Quote :
Went fishing there a little while back with a few of my village friends and we all caught some sizeable common and mirror carp

I was wondering what kind of fish you get in these lakes actually. I'm not a huge fisher myself but I can see the attraction with lakes like this.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 4:12 pm

We have a lab and lab cross and they both like the water. In fact Bonnie lab is at her most disobedient when I am trying to stop her going in! We used to take them to a different river earlier but they were so exuberant they chased all the wildlife away! There are lots of birds (and a breeding colony of bee eaters in season) and I photographed my first kingfishers there, hares and signs of otter.

You have to be a bit careful with still water like lakes in the summer as algae can be a problem to swimming dogs. The river is fine as long as we haven't had a week of torrential rain when the currents are strong even for a lab. I can't keep Dave out! Even now he stops for a dip if he is passing.

Sara
Back to top Go down
mbco
Junior user
Junior user

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks for the advice with the algae Sara, I shall have to look out for that. My Lab (Denzil) loves the water too and would swim in it all day if he had the chance, although he hates the hosepipe strangely enough.

Mark.
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 8:46 pm

The problem I always had after my lab (Pedigree Sandyland) came back from a swim was the smell when he was drying, lakes and rivers I could not stop him going into, but at home as soon as I got out a hose pipe he would not come near me.

I accused my partner of stinking out the bedroom once, then discovered it was the dog lying next to the bed on my side, Just because I got it wrong once doesn't mean I was always wrong. A nice suprise. 2381841692
Back to top Go down
mbco
Junior user
Junior user

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Quote :
I accused my partner of stinking out the bedroom once, then discovered it was the dog lying next to the bed on my side, Just because I got it wrong once doesn't mean I was always wrong. A nice suprise. 2381841692

A nice suprise. 1536469901 Good one!

I have the same issue with mine with the smell, must be a lab thing
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 8:54 am

Please be very careful regarding algae on water. Our beloved spaniel died the very day we arrived in Bulgaria by drinking from a still river. We found out later it had blue/green algae in it. He was dead within five hours. Such a shock, we would hate it to happen to anyone else. A nice suprise. 927475117
Back to top Go down
mbco
Junior user
Junior user

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks for the warning scunnered. Sorry for what happened to your dog, I can imagine it was a hard thing to bear. I shall certainly be careful with this advice. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Rakiaplease
Senior user
Senior user

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 12:24 pm

I think labradors have as good a nature as any dog. I fed a stray over the summer which sadly died recently (very old dog). Quite how the strays manage to get through the winters remains a mystery to me.

I think what is happening in Romania to the strays is disgusting and they should be kicked out of the EU.
Back to top Go down
mbco
Junior user
Junior user

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 7:43 am

I agree with you regarding there good nature, ive never met an aggressive Labrador yet. Mine wont even chase a rabbit, not that I have ever encouraged him too. However he does like a meaty spider, but I think that's just a dog thing A nice suprise. 2706089290 .
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 11:15 am

My sister has a grumpy lab. Big strapping lad and I wouldn't be too happy if he growled and lunged at me the way he does others. Has also had a go at both our girls, lab and lab cross.

Thank goodness he is not 'normal'!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A nice suprise. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise.   A nice suprise. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A nice suprise.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1