A strange thing..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

A strange thing.. Empty
PostSubject: A strange thing..   A strange thing.. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 10:41 am

.....happened to Mr Eq this morning. He went to his usual shop for bits and bobs, but they had no eggs. (my chooks aren't laying) So off he went to another shop, the lady went out back and got fresh eggs from the fridge....but wouldn't let him pay.

As you can imagine, after spending all his fifty odd years in the UK this is strange behaviour and makes you feel a little uncomfortable. If it had been a neighbour, fair enough, but someone you have never seen before?

Or are we too British?

Mrs Eq

PS. They were very nice fresh eggs, enjoyed atop beans on toast.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

A strange thing.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange thing..   A strange thing.. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 11:17 am

Equinus wrote:
.....happened to Mr Eq this morning. He went to his usual shop for bits and bobs, but they had no eggs. (my chooks aren't laying) So off he went to another shop, the lady went out back and got fresh eggs from the fridge....but wouldn't let him pay.

As you can imagine, after spending all his fifty odd years in the UK this is strange behaviour and makes you feel a little uncomfortable. If it had been a neighbour, fair enough, but someone you have never seen before?

Or are we too British?

Mrs Eq

PS. They were very nice fresh eggs, enjoyed atop beans on toast.

Sounds quite normal to me. A strange thing.. 3367882216 If you are liked you are liked. I am often outside the house when people pass that I don't know and they say hello Tony. Nice living here init g
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

A strange thing.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange thing..   A strange thing.. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 11:33 am

Nothing strange about this in Bulgaria although not all are the same, you will find good and bad wherever you live in the world but I don't think you will find this type of kindness in the uk anymore. Your not too British you just haven't lived here long enough to understand how friendly the locals can be. But if you can at some point try and return the kindness in some small way its always appreciated. s
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

A strange thing.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange thing..   A strange thing.. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 11:49 am

The only way we can think of is to try to use this shop more. It's difficult when a relationship has already started to build in the first shop, which has a greater range of goods. We will call there for soft drinks as this seems to be their thing.

As long as they let us pay!!!
Back to top Go down
chrissybg
Super user
Super user

A strange thing.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange thing..   A strange thing.. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 6:51 pm

I suspect you are getting over welmed by now with all the free food flying your way. The Bulgarians share every thing salads fruit eggs food stuff on plates for breakfast or your lunch on saint days chocolates on birthdays the list goes on it can be over welming but my way of returning the share is baking They love pitsa breads buns cakes biscuits pies and so many can be made from the produce we all have extra of. enjoy their hospitality s
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

A strange thing.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange thing..   A strange thing.. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 7:05 pm

Chrissy has it exactly right.. share what you have, even if you go short. A plate of strawberries, a couple of eggs, your first potatoes..everyone will know that you are making the effort.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

A strange thing.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange thing..   A strange thing.. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 5:12 am

Lovely neighbours like sweet things, especially cake and chutney. But you have to make sure to give them near the weekend as they are kept for when the family come round. Knowing how Mr neighbour likes his cake (the sicklier the better) that would be difficult if sent too early.

After speaking to Mr Eq again, it seems there were no eggs in the shop, so it looks as if they don't even sell them. He had an egg box with him, so it seems he was given some of their own. bless them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A strange thing.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange thing..   A strange thing.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A strange thing..

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1