nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 11:47 am

ONIONS! I had never heard this!!!
PLEASE READ TO THE END: IMPORTANT

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu...
Many of the farmers and their families had contracted it and many died.

The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an un-peeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser. She said that several years ago, many of her employees were coming down with the flu, and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

Now there is a P. S. to this for I sent it to a friend in Oregon who regularly contributes material to me on health issues. She replied with this most interesting experience about onions:

Thanks for the reminder. I don't know about the farmer's story...but, I do know that I contacted pneumonia, and, needless to say, I was very ill... I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put it into an empty jar, and place the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs...sure enough it happened just like that...the onion was a mess and I began to feel better.

Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

This is the other note. Lots of times when we have stomach problems we don't know what to blame. Maybe it's the onions that are to blame. Onions absorb bacteria is the reason they are so good at preventing us from getting colds and flu and is the very reason we shouldn't eat an onion that has been sitting for a time after it has been cut open.

LEFT OVER ONIONS ARE POISONOUS

I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, Makers of mayonnaise. Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist.

Ed, who was our tour guide, is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you. Ed said that all commercially-made mayo is completely safe.

"
It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it's not really necessary."
He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the summer picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table, and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

Ed says that, when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the ONIONS, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES.

He explained onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion.. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator.

It's already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!). Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you'll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.

Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions.

Please remember it is dangerous to cut an onion and try to use it to cook the next day, it becomes highly poisonous for even a single night and creates toxic bacteria which may cause adverse stomach infections because of excess bile secretions and even food poisoning.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Interesting reading. I knew onions had antibiotic properties, and also that they were toxic to dogs, but not about attracting bugs.
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Same here I didn't realize that they would do that either and whats more is I didn't realize they become toxic once cut and left which is something I do often although I do wrap it and put it in the fridge, but I won't be doing it anymore.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 pm

I can remember onions being cut in half when i was a nipper and put in the bedroom on a saucer when i was poorly
also i have always put unused onion in the fridge for later use ..no probs ...so far
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Just remember the bit about onions and dogs! That's very true..same goes for mushrooms which are a big no no!
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 2:20 pm

bgbazz wrote:
Just remember the bit about onions and dogs! That's very true..same goes for mushrooms which are a big no no!

And grapes (and dried fruit) and chocolate!
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Equinus wrote:
bgbazz wrote:

And grapes (and dried fruit) and chocolate!

Which is shame, because my 6yo Ridgeback loves all of these..we have to keep chocolate in the fridge because of her. She also loves watermelon, bananas and mashed potatoes.

Drifting off topic..sorry! ONIONS! 3998065313
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 3:00 pm

I had a dog who loved all fruit and veg, didn't know in those days some of it could kill him. He lived to be 17 and more!

Love ridgebacks, though they would be too much for me now. When I was a pet sitter I had regular care of one from 12 weeks for 4 years, adored that dog.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 3:21 pm

We've had our girl since she was 5 months old and love her to bits. A gentle 45kg giant who thinks she is a four legged person..not a dog! She sleeps every night at the foot of our bed and has done so since day one..we/and she wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently laying, stretched out on her blanket in the sun, with our almost 11 year old daughter doing the same, head on the dogs chest and reading. She is gentle and loving, but heaven help the person who threatens any member of 'her' family! Only seen it once but I bet that guy still avoids little girls and big dogs...the facial scars should help to remind him to do so!!! Something about dogs from that part of the world that I love..I had Basenjis before her and even though they are smaller in stature, their heart is just the same. They loved raw tomato and mashed potato as well!
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 2:24 am

If you cut a onion in half and place it in a shallow tray of water before you start painting (decorating) you will not get the smell of paint that usually lingers for a few days even after you have finished the painting.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 7:16 am

This kind of e-mail has been doing the rounds for years (especially the bit about chopped onions becoming toxic), and it turns out to be untrue:

[url:2zzrp5g7]http:
//www.
hoaxorfact.
com/Health/left-over-cut-onions-toxic-facts.
html[/url:2zzrp5g7]

I often leave leftover onions in the fridge and use them the following days!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 3:51 pm

I am glad to hear that onions have some use in life, unfortunately I am allegic to them and can't allow one or any part of one to pass my lips, otherwise dramatic things happen to my body. A visit to a hospital occurred after eating some, but that was years ago and careful ordering of food in restaurants is called for ever since. I have nothing against placing one in a bowl somewhere in a room as long as it is nowhere near me!!!

ONIONS! 2706089290 ONIONS! 570106603
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Phil-H wrote:
If you cut a onion in half and place it in a shallow tray of water before you start painting (decorating) you will not get the smell of paint that usually lingers for a few days even after you have finished the painting.

done that years ago too ...and it worked.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 4:22 pm

varnagirl wrote:
Phil-H wrote:

done that years ago too ...and it worked.

You have got to know your onions g
Back to top Go down
BGBound
Senior user
Senior user

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Enough on this subject.......that's shallot !!! ONIONS! 2381841692
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ONIONS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ONIONS!   ONIONS! Icon_minitime