Alloy Wheels

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 6:13 pm

My mate and I were chatting last week about vehicles in general as he is a mechanic.The subject got on to punctures as he was looking at the size of the wheels on my truck and the deep tread on them and said that it would be unlikely that I would get a puncture, talk about inviting fate! Today I was visiting my friend who lives about fifteen minutes away but would be quicker if the road wasn't so rough so 20 mph was top speed. I then heard this flapping noise which I reciognised and I knew I had got a puncture! Got the tyre iron out and loosened the nuts then wound down the spare wheel and placed it under the truck and proceeded to jack the truck up.The nuts were supprisingly easy to loosen when I stood on the tyre iron which pleased me as I have had a night mare in the past on other vehicles that I have owned.Piece of cake as I had managed all this in under ten minutes in the rain and I removed the nuts.Pulled at the wheel and it wouldn't budge so I gave it a kick or two from the inside of the wheel and nothing and I struggled with this for about ten minutes before I gave up and phoned my friend.He asked me if the wheel rims were Alloy and I said yes. Oh he said it has got heated when breaking and had adheared to the metal behind the wheel as alloy is softer than steel .Well I never thought of that as this is the first vehicle I have had with alloy wheels and have always been iron rims and never had this trouble with them.He asked if I had a hammer and I hadn't got one with me and said you will need a hammer mate and I will fetch one to you. He arrived and I got wet and dirty and gave the wheel a few thumps with the hammer behind the wheel with a bit of force and it broke free to my joy!I changed the wheel and carried onto his place following cautiously behind him as I had no spare now.

So the moral of this story is if you have alloy wheels make sure you have a hammer on board!
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 7:47 pm

A Friend of mine had the same problem once so now he lightly greases the hub before he puts the wheels on and no problems since, apparently its a common problem with alloy wheel and corrosion. Alloy Wheels 739492727
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user
sallyann

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 10:41 pm

BGTRAVELLER wrote:
A Friend of mine had the same problem once so now he lightly greases the hub before he puts the wheels on and no problems since, apparently its a common problem with alloy wheel and corrosion. Alloy Wheels 739492727

Good idea thanks BGT
T
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:15 am

speedgunner wrote:
My mate and I were chatting last week about vehicles in general as he is a mechanic.The subject got on to punctures as he was looking at the size of the wheels on my truck and the deep tread on them and said that it would be unlikely that I would get a puncture, talk about inviting fate! Today I was visiting my friend who lives about fifteen minutes away but would be quicker if the road wasn't so rough so 20 mph was top speed. I then heard this flapping noise which I reciognised and I knew I had got a puncture! Got the tyre iron out and loosened the nuts then wound down the spare wheel and placed it under the truck and proceeded to jack the truck up.The nuts were supprisingly easy to loosen when I stood on the tyre iron which pleased me as I have had a night mare in the past on other vehicles that I have owned.Piece of cake as I had managed all this in under ten minutes in the rain and I removed the nuts.Pulled at the wheel and it wouldn't budge so I gave it a kick or two from the inside of the wheel and nothing and I struggled with this for about ten minutes before I gave up and phoned my friend.He asked me if the wheel rims were Alloy and I said yes. Oh he said it has got heated when breaking and had adheared to the metal behind the wheel as alloy is softer than steel .Well I never thought of that as this is the first vehicle I have had with alloy wheels and have always been iron rims and never had this trouble with them.He asked if I had a hammer and I hadn't got one with me and said you will need a hammer mate and I will fetch one to you. He arrived and I got wet and dirty and gave the wheel a few thumps with the hammer behind the wheel with a bit of force and it broke free to my joy!I changed the wheel and carried onto his place following cautiously behind him as I had no spare now.

So the moral of this story is if you have alloy wheels make sure you have a hammer on board!

Useful information speedgunner - we have alloy wheels and would have the same problem.

Alloy Wheels 3356871870 Alloy Wheels 2706089290
Back to top Go down
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user
mike&tanya

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Do you think this is a problem because of the extreme temperatures in Bulgaria, as I have had alloy wheels on various vehicles for years and never come across this problem before. Mind you thats probably tempting fate now ! Alloy Wheels 2345823347
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 7:58 pm

I have a Pajero here in the uk and it's the same with mine so I wouldn't it's anything to do with the climate. Good tip above from BGT that's what I do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
justbazz1

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 am

I'm with Mike on this one..I've had alloys on my vehicles in Australia, UK and here in Bulgaria, for over twenty years and I've not come across this problem before. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but whenever I have a wheel off, for any reason, I clean the hub and the wheel before I put it back on.
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 8:43 am

Yep I agree with you should clean your hubs but I have never had the wheels of in the 14 months that I have owned it as i have had no need to and I don't think taking the wheels off is part of a service schedual and only if the braking system need seeing to.The reason my mate new what to do was he had the same trouble in Germany and the rescue services hit the insde of the wheel with a hammer. Any way I was supprised at how cheap it was to repair the flAt tyre as I had it done in Dobrich. It wasn't so much a nail but looked as though it was slit with a knife obviously it wasn't as I had driven a couple of miles before it happened, I had run over something sharp.For a patch repair and balancing cost 15lv including an all round tyre inflation and check, no way in the UK at that price possibly an estimate.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 8:49 am

we had a flat tyre yesterday, put the spare on and took it down to they tyre repair. there was no puncture it was the valve. so new valve, balanced, took the spare off, put the repaired one on, put the spare back in the rear case. total cost 8 lev, unbelievable. c
Back to top Go down
therowfamily
Super user
Super user
therowfamily

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:03 am

As said above smear a fine amount of grease on the hub first and the problem goes away.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Those prices are about right for this country. The service protocols on all my four vehicles suggest I rotate the wheels every six months or so and because I run winter and summer tyres they get changed twice a year anyway. I use a local tyre company here in Plovdiv and they charge me 8 leva per vehicle, balancing is free but a puncture repair costs about 10 leva, depending on the size of the patch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alloy Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy Wheels   Alloy Wheels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alloy Wheels

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1