Frustrations of life in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 9:57 am

First topic message reminder :

Since I am feeling angry with BTK today (see posts) it has set me wondering what other frustrations people living permanently in Bulgaria have. Lets get it out of our systems folks. :Headbang:Its been a long winter once again but before Spring arrives giving us all a new lease of life it might be an idea to let off some steam.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Daisy wrote:- Finally, it may be said that by living in a foreign country, people are able to establish a greater understanding between each other.

I thought we all lived in one big Country called THE EUROPEAN UNION, so there should be no problems integrating, but of course I am realistic to know that any understanding between different nationalities is a not an easy thing to achieve
Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Living in a different culture is a very difficult thing to do. If you grew up in a place that is very different from the place you are currently in, you will have a big adjustments on things, food like for instance, their practices and other matter. But your need to respect the things that they do and try to adopt on the new culture you are in although it isn't easy sometimes. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 794030042
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 1:49 pm

Most of the cultural attitudes in Bulgaria stem from the Communist past. Frequently, some attitudes came as a shock and were exasperating. Bulgarians will usually take whatever they can get today rather than wait for tomorrow, even if tomorrow would bring better returns! Sadly the majority work almost solely on a cash basis, which does nothing for the country. They believe that the state should provide but won't make contributions in order that it can. There is inevitably little understanding of the EU and how it works but this is improving, particularly with the availability of internet throughout the country. Outside of the cities, traditions are clung too, funerals with open coffins, the slaughtering of pigs - and the superstition which catches most woman out, not putting your handbag on the floor .

So Be realistic about what kind of life you want.Mentally prepare for life being a challenge.Most locals welcome strangers but don't rush it, take your time.Immerse yourself without fear and enjoy. And finally but not least..... "
Frustrations "
there will be but life will become unbearable if you always think "
they don't..."
and "
it's not like back home..."
Things are not better or worse.. they are just different.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Blink wrote:
Most of the cultural attitudes in Bulgaria stem from the Communist past. Frequently, some attitudes came as a shock and were exasperating. Bulgarians will usually take whatever they can get today rather than wait for tomorrow, even if tomorrow would bring better returns! Sadly the majority work almost solely on a cash basis, which does nothing for the country. They believe that the state should provide but won't make contributions in order that it can. There is inevitably little understanding of the EU and how it works but this is improving, particularly with the availability of internet throughout the country. Outside of the cities, traditions are clung too, funerals with open coffins, the slaughtering of pigs - and the superstition which catches most woman out, not putting your handbag on the floor .

So Be realistic about what kind of life you want.Mentally prepare for life being a challenge.Most locals welcome strangers but don't rush it, take your time.Immerse yourself without fear and enjoy. And finally but not least..... "
Frustrations "
there will be but life will become unbearable if you always think "
they don't..."
and "
it's not like back home..."
Things are not better or worse.. they are just different.

Too true Blink things here are different. But after a while you come to accept the way of life. You know at some stage the water will go off with no notice, so you keep bottles of well water at hand in case this happens. You also know that the electricity will go off, so you keep a gas heater handy and candles etc. Then if this is not the life that people want then stay away. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 1536469901
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 8:36 am

:Good post:Blink. In fact excellent. I started this topic in a lighthearted manner but it has now got a life of its own and a more serious nature and more helpful maybe for people thinking of coming to live in Bulgaria.
As you know, I am returning to Britain after many years abroad including 8 in Bulgaria. I started the topic 'am I mad?' because I was questioning my decision (and my hero's of course!) and wondering if I was doing the right thing, given that we will have problems. Not least financially. I have already discovered that my first home here only bought me a new static caravan in Britain!! However, I am happy with that as a starting point.
Having given the subject so much thought, I know I am making the right decision. Why? The difference between us and most of those leaving Britain for distant shores to start a new life due to frustrations in Britain not realising that there will be frustrations by the bucketload of living in Bulgaria in particular, is that I never chose to leave Britain. Bulgaria is not developed yet as countries like Soain, Greece and Italy. Look what a mess they are in already. Old habits die hard.
I never gave up on a British way of life and dealt with problems as they arose in any area from family to work situations. I ended up alone in Greece to protect my half interest in our Greek 'ruin' ( a property never lived in but used in wine production with a wonderful view) due to divorcing my husband during a fantastic period of my life when we both worked on yachts. I had no money to speak of but had some help from Greeks and got tourist work. Then along came Tom and we did casual work until my divorce came through finally and we had just enough to rent a small beach bar. The rest is history and the beginning of another great adventure. Was it coincidence that Tom and I had a background in catering so knew what we were doing?
We were very popular with all nationalities and moved to a bigger beach bar in another village right on a beach. Great times but what hard work! The bureaucracy to achieve a license to trade was horrendous and it was 5 years before we were entirely legal. It was down to the Community that we managed to survive at all albeit having to pay fines. Yes, the key was the COMMUNITY and we were forever grateful. We had integrated.
When the workload became too much for me at 64 and tourism was on the wane in general, I decided it was time to retire but could not afford renovations on my ruin or to live without work on the euro. That was when I flew to Bulgaria and in a week had found a house I adored at a price I could afford. In 6 weeks we had closed the business and arrived in October 2004 in a transit van with our belongings and kindly transported by a friend. Again, the rest is history.
However the key to our happy village life again lies in our integration with the COMMUNITY. Unfortunately, some of this involvement has been misunderstood by some expats but it has given us our happy and affordable life.
It is now time to return to my roots and a country I never really chose to leave. I went with the flow of life with my hero by my side and overcoming all the many frustrations of another life in another country. I guess I am an optimist and go with the punches without complaint most of the time.
I am still very English. I am lucky that I was born in the south, although Gloucester is not really 'the Cotswolds' and I have never experienced the rain of the north. I am priviledged in that sense.
So there you are. Its clear in my mind now that the time has come to return and start a new adventure on a park site until we are sorted renting somewhere and I will be near my family.
It is worth putting up with the frustrations of life in Bulgaria but if you find it too difficult, its no good moaning. You were never destined to live abroad.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:02 am

Quote :
I am still very English. I am lucky that I was born in the south, although Gloucester is not really 'the Cotswolds' and I have never experienced the rain of the north. I am priviledged in that sense.

its on the edge of it tho gal and in the triangle of the best part of uk...... lucky lady
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 11:48 am

Yes I agree Varnagirl although the rainfall is often quite high being so near the Welsh border. I am also fortunate that my family live in Cambs, Oxon and London. The countryside around the first two is beautiful . I did a 'Hash Run' in the Cambs countryside which was absolutely spectacular and people who moan about Britain are obviously unlucky enough not to have access to these areas. Even London with all its squalor also has so much spectacle and a buzz if you have health and wealth enough to enjoy it.
Years ago in the 60s I lived with my husband and 3 youngsters in Canada near Toronto and also experienced some great times and scenery although not the mountain areas. I remember a true born Canadian guy telling us that we didn't act like most Brits in that we accepted Canada without comparisons and moans.
I think that is the clue to living abroad. Leave all your frustrations with Britain at the border and accept all the frustrations of Bulgaria! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
LisA
Super user
Super user
LisA

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 4:10 pm

Thank you all for the content in this post I can relate to most of it and I also know how frustrating it can be here in Bg just to get the simplest of tasks sorted out like paying for your water usage or paying your electric, nothing here is straight forward and in most cases you need a translator which in it self can be costly over a period of years. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 3356871870
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 3:36 pm

LisA..where are you living and why are translators expensive? My Bulgarian wife is a tri-lingual, registered translator and earns less than a checkout chick in Waitrose!

Just wondering.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Sorry bgbazz its off topic!
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 5:07 pm

oldun wrote:
Sorry bgbazz its off topic!

oldun I'll not dish out a yellow card to bgbazz in this case!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Perhaps the fact that paying over the odds for a translator may be of interest to many forum members? It would certainly have a place in a 'frustrations of life in Bulgaria' topic.

So long as no advertising takes place, I'll let it run on this occasion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 8:37 am

Sorry Chris -not my place to say! Just thought that this conversation might deserve another topic. I guess costs for translation can be a frustration if you need one all the time. Am I forgiven?? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 8:45 am

Sorry guys..I didn't mean to digress. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 927475117
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frustrations of life in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4