Frustrations of life in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 9:57 am

Since I am feeling angry with BTK today (see posts) it has set me wondering what other frustrations people living permanently in Bulgaria have. Lets get it out of our systems folks. :Headbang:Its been a long winter once again but before Spring arrives giving us all a new lease of life it might be an idea to let off some steam.
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:24 am

Good topic and I'm sure there will be plenty of others who will add. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 2581928987

If you were to call Bulgaria a functioning bureaucracy would be a complete understatement, without reams of documents and official stamps the whole country would cease to function. I have been trying to work out why this is. Even the simplest of tasks cannot be done without an official document of sorts. For example, when I purchased my house here it was necessary to form a company to purchase the house. In order for the company to function you would need an official stamp. This is where the problems start. In order to be able to purchase a stamp you need a document stating that the business has already been created, and to create the business you need an official stamp! Obviously there are ways around this otherwise I would have been unable to purchase my house, I am left to wonder why the situation actually exists though. Whenever I point out how bizarre this is I am given the default answer. 'This is Bulgaria, that is normal'. This is the first and only ex-communist country that I have visited/lived in, so apologies if my conclusion is off the mark. The need for official documents, and stamps as far as I can see removes any responsibility from the individual. Decisions are not made by common sense or by individuals;
workers here follow strict guidelines and can never deviate from them. For example since I have been here I have been offered employment but I can only take up this employment if I can get my degree legalized in Bulgaria. No problem there. Only to get my degree certificate legalized here I have to submit my completion of secondary education certificate. Being from the UK there is no such document. I explain this to the bureaucrats. It appears that this does not matter. Just because something doesn't exist doesn't mean that I can't produce it. It is on the list of documents to be submitted and therefore I cannot proceed. There is no room for change. When you question these things with the officials you are normally given shrugging shoulders, and looks of realization that they know the system is wrong, but they have no intention of changing it. The normal man on the street is so used to having every part of life dictated to them that it is just normal! When submitting some kind of documentation you will also have to provide photocopies of the said documents. Do the offices have photocopies - definitely not. Or at least they do but they are for official use only. So back to a recent renewal of passport. my friend enters the passport office and joins the queue to collect the documents that need to be completed after completing them then joins another queue to submit them. Gets turned away as he has not made the photocopies required, we have to leave the passport office to get his photocopies. We return and rejoin the queue for submission of the documents. Oh no, it's lunch time the office closes all queues are canceled, come back in an hour and try again. I ask why this can't be done by post? Don't be daft he says, they would lose all the documents. I suppose now that I have been here a while I have become desensitised to these kind of situations that would have me screaming at bureaucrats in the UK, as they say. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 2581928987
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:48 am

Oh -I so identify with everything you have said Davshaz. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 3356871870 Maybe in the first instance we put up with a lot of this 'stuff' because it was the same in Greece. The 'chicken and egg' situation especially when setting up our catering business. We couldn't get a licence because we didn't have residency ( we were illegals but no more on that!!) and we couldn't get residency without either a huge amount of money in the bank or a business! It was only due to our mediator (other word for Greek Godfather) and 5 years of illegal trading before we finally got a legitimate licence.
I could go on about this because its a long and interesting tale which kept our customers coming back every year for an update! However, we are talking about Bulgaria. It was only because we somehow, luckily, found a great team of Bulgarians, lawyer, translator and accountant, who found ways around everything including going to Bucharest to get the D Visa to get the Lichna Carta. Once more we were illegals, unknowingly, when we arrived. Agents don't tell you that when you have the cash for a quick sale!
It is over 20 years since Communism fell and time that old ways should have changed. I think the reason for going round in ever decreasing circles to get anything done and the inflexibilty of Bulgarians to change any existing beaureaucracy, is because of the Communistic approach to employment where everyone had to have a job. To have a photocopier for public use in an office would have meant that one person was then unemployed. Things really should have changed by now with a new generation in charge of things. However, it is also a cash cow where we Brits are concerned. Bulgarians are so used to flouting the system (corruption) that its not necessary to make any changes. For example, our lawyer came with us to see the chief of police for our Lichna Carta and was equipped with a bottle of quality whiskey. She was also very attractive and concerned that she looked good. No prizes for guessing what that was all about. Naturally we went along with it with a big sigh of relief when the card with issued. Many were not so lucky and we have some friends who actually relocated to another area where the rules were not so 'strict' in order to get their card.
I am a great defender of independance, 'let the buyer beware' and all that jazz, but I think its time enough to be complacent and somehow things must change or its another nail in Bulgaria's coffin.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:57 am

we bought our house in the march, the lawyer took us to pay the tax due at the municpality, but no one told us in march you have to pay your municipality tax :Headbang:so we got fined for not paying on time. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 794030042
no one told us to register the water. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 794030042
no one told us to register the electric. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 794030042
in fact no one tells you anything, you have to learn and are responsible for paying your due fees. so you learn by default and get fined for it. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 794030042
took us 6 months to get plates for the car, the kat could not find the engine number on the engine. thats because on a ford focus, its not on the engine. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 794030042 Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 794030042
we ordered some money from the bank and you must pick it up on the day you ordered it, or you get a fine. we picked it up on the day and put it into another account. we got fined because we did not physically leave the bank and come back to deposit it again. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 794030042 Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 794030042
bulgaria is now a rich country due to my wide and varied fines. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 2079180590
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:32 pm

My goodness Starlite - that is outrageous. The funny thing is, I am now so used to these ridiculous and annoying things in Bulgaria that I am not surprised anymore. It doesn't make it right or any the less frustrating, but I actually am surprised now when things go well. For instance, I was all boiled up to go into Bulsatcom recently for a new remote control which stopped working only a couple of months of having it. The girl took the wind out of my sails by opening a drawer and giving me a new one without any hassle. Question is, why? Is this such a normal occurrance that she had given up arguing with a complainant?
After 7 years and counting, you are probably all (well those that recognize me) surprised that I should be posting these things because I have survived and always erred on the bright side of life here. In actual fact, its because after all these years it shouldn't be so difficult to get things done. Much as I abhor the word 'progress' we should move forward on some things particularly when we are all supposed to have freedom of movement within the EU. Will someone tell Bulgaria that please. :LMHO:After all, we are investors in a way, buying houses, renovating, using shops, charity work and generally giving employment in small ways which add up to a lot. Do they want us here or not?
Our village has a good sense of Community as I have written about, but this doesn't go far enough in the general scheme of life here. In general, I suppose I am not feeling as welcome as I would like and I am becoming more and more cynical.
I never expect everything to be perfect, understanding that there is no 'paradise' and each country has their rules and regulations, but as a Westerner we have been geared to expect that things will change and be updated. It doesn't appear to be so in Bulgaria. No doubt Bulgarians get just as frustrated and resort to that well-known phrase 'welcome to Bulgaria!' Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 2581928987
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 10:37 am

Well not as much response as expected so you must all be having a better time with less frustrations than Starlite and me. Nothing has happened yet on the phone front and my lawyer said that both of us having to go to change the phone is what has to be done! Why didn't the agent arrange this???
Another of my frustrations which I have put up with until this winter, is that trying to get anything done, fixed or renewed is practically impossible once you are in your house. Much as I love our villagers, they won't do anything unless they are out of cash and want work immediately. If you ask and are willing to pay, often as not, they are 'busy'. How I hate that excuse. Also, they won't give a price - you have to come up with a price they deem correct which would be far more than the rate for the job.
Ah well - probably just having a bad day, but after 7 years and so much 'love' from our Bulgarian friends, it doesn't seem to extend to work!
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 10:44 am

Yesterday I went to my lawyer to give in papers to give to our accountant. It seems that all the money I have spent on renovations on both houses are not allowed to be submitted to the tax people because our Company is closed. I knew that at the time but couldn't afford the NOI which I didn't think would mean much at the end of the day anyway since neither of us are actually working. This means that I will probably have to pay tax on the profit of my original home unless there is some 'creative' accounting done because I have bought another home in Bulgaria. It seems those in control have you all ways.
The lawyer told me that technically we don't have to have a Company now, but accountants are loathe to do the work involved on closing and making a re-purchase agreement of property (don't ask!) until the new rules are set in stone! Probably March and it will cost.
Goodness knows what will happen when EHIC cards run out after 5 years and we need health insurance to get 'residency'.
End of rant!!! No wonder I'm having a bad day.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 1:58 pm

oldun ..im confused...yep , ok folks , we know it does not take a lot these days ! haha

you say your company is closed ..... as in.. "
"
Yesterday I went to my lawyer to give in papers to give to our accountant. It seems that all the money I have spent on renovations on both houses are not allowed to be submitted to the tax people because our Company is closed. "
"

..how and why ...when we all still need our company to buy / sell threw ...thus the need for doing the compant tax accounts by end of march and submitting them to the re register by june ..! ?

did you actually go threw the process of closing it ??

or are you being taken for a ride ....
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 2:37 pm

No I don't think I have been taken for a ride Varnagirl. I have had the same accountant for 6 years and he did my tax returns and I paid nil taxes for all this time because he closed the Company for me. The Company still exists but does not trade hence not having to pay NOI or tax on it although I did for the first 2 years when it was operating in order to get the Lichna Carta. This was all bandied around various forums when I was on them.
Now I have a new accountant through my lawyer because my old accountant has a new business with his family. He would have still done my accounts but I like things under one roof.
Yes, my Company was re-registered by my lawyer 2 years ago so everything is in order and I am happy I am on the Company register. After March it will be possible for foreigners to buy property AND the land its stands on without the need to open a Company. Accountants are not willing to do this yet although the 5 years that Bulgaria was allowed to get things in order was up in January! Tax returns are not due until the end of March so obviously accountants want their last pound of flesh.
I am as confused as you VG about all this because the paperwork has to go to the Company Register as well as the Statistical Report. Why? I have no idea but just do as I am told because I do not know where to go to do otherwise. Like many other 'foreigners' which is why my 'frustration'. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 794030042
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:06 am

Sounds like you all having more problemsthan me so far, but i would like to add one small frustration to the discussion. Why do building supply companies advertise products they don't haveand can't get? I want to tadelakt plaster my bathroom and found several businesses with big signs up outside advertising the product. Marvolus I thought I'll just pop in and get some. Two wasted weeks later I've improvised and made my own, which has probably worked out cheaper. Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 794030042
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
therowfamily
Super user
Super user
therowfamily

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 6:06 pm

When I prepared for my first extended stay abroad, I daydreamed about all the travel and exploration opportunities ahead of me. I planned the logistics, arranged housing and budgeted my finances. I studied Bulgarian culture and hoped for positive experiences. What I failed to prepare for, though, was the culture shock living abroad would bring. From the honeymoon stage to frustration or ‘rage state,’ to understanding and integration, life abroad certainly has its ups but at times also has a few downs. While in the moment they may not always seem positive, each stage can add a true richness to your expatriate life. Honeymoon stage sets in early on in your time abroad. It is the time of excitement and intrigue when everything new and different is appreciated. During honeymoon phase you will be eager to learn about and experience all your new location has to offer. You will see with your own eyes the iconic landmarks or events you have seen only in photographs and guidebooks. Enjoy honeymoon stage while it lasts. Like your entire trip it will come with the benefits of new acquaintances and memories to last a life time. When the honeymoon is over, you may find yourself shaken. Perhaps knowing what is ahead, though, will lessen the blow of the most trying stage of life abroad. The frustration stage or rage stage sets in when the cultural differences, the language barriers, the fatigue and other tribulations unnerve you. You may offend someone or be embarrassed yourself, but no matter what the trigger, your entry into this second stage will be clear. The most consistent advice experienced expatriates offer is to remain positive. They warn to not reject differences but to adapt to them. During my first extended jaunt abroad, frustration stage hit early. I was overly conscious of my actions, fearful of offending anyone. Constantly monitoring my actions got to be too much. What really put me over the edge seems silly but was the confusing tangle of streets with cars zipping in the “wrong” direction and the seeming lack of pedestrian rights. If you can get past it, rage stage will be just a minor glitch in your time abroad, a glitch that makes everything from there on out seem great in comparison. After frustration you will find understanding, the stage when you become familiar with local people and customs and homesickness wears away. You will probably still make mistakes and find yourself confused, but you will be able to take these things lightly, finding the humour in them. Some even go as far as to call this third stage the humour stage, laughing at yourself and learning from your mistakes will help you advance from understanding to true acclimation.
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 8:09 am

So true! I think the rage stage is always associated to bureaucracy or banks isn’t it? It’s so frustrating and boring! even worse when there’s a language barrier. I think when the honeymoon period wears off you need to remember and pick a couple of things that make you happy and make time to do them and not let the blues get you. I think you have to remember the grass is not always greener somewhere else, there’s good things and bad things wherever you go, you just need to check the balance and make the most of the good? s
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Frustrations of life in Bulgaria 3356871870 :Thank you:Therowamily - that is the best, most honest, truthful and useful post in a long time. The stages to frustration can take a fast time or a slow time to reach. In my case it has taken nearly 8 years to become frustrated but I am overcoming this. The long winter hasn't helped because all the previous winters had been okay and although not all the same, certainly not as prolonged as this seasons snow, ice and very minus temperatures. However, illness, relationship upsets with other Brits ending in a poison pen letter to me personally did not help and a very quick house sale and move just prior to winter was difficult. It made me isolated and feeling unloved although my hero said my choir Bulgarian ladies always asked after me and if I was okay because they did not see me. So it would seem that it is my frustration with my fellow Brits that has spoiled my otherwise happy life having overcome all the obstacles of living in a foreign land.
There is really nothing more I can add to the rowfamily post except to say that I still believe that Bulgaria is for me and my hero for a while yet. I am now in Britain with my lovely family and talking to them made me realise how I am still in love with my new country and not ready to relocate permanently back to Britain although I will take a couple more breaks. On landing at Heathrow it really did feel like civilisation at last and made me realise how much I and anyone else living in Bulgaria have to learn and adjust to. In the long term there is a balance and I would miss a lot of what my life in Bulgaria has to offer. Owning my own home with land and animals and keeping my independence without handouts is more important to me still than living in Britain where I would not see my family anymore than I do now because they all work so hard.
Lastly, I know my hero is happy to stay in Bulgaria even after his illness and no-frills hospital stay and has made many friends with the village lads who all seem to like his zany approach to life.
So - there you are. It is worth taking stock now and again but never do anything hasty. The grass does always seem greener in times of difficulty but it doesn't last and Spring will come soon! s
Back to top Go down
Noddy
Senior user
Senior user
Noddy

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 3:04 pm

You have summed up expat life well. Now at the partially acclimatized stage I watch new arrivals follow the same path. It is true that it gets easier, but the frustration stage can seem like an eternity. The sad part is watching expats leave at the frustration stage instead of hanging in for the best part.
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:45 am

Great post that really sums up the experience well. I remember a few months after I moved to Bulgaria I had a really hard time with homesickness. But it didn’t last long and you start to see the awesomeness of where you are and what’s going on around you, along with all the cool new people you meet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frustrations of life in Bulgaria   Frustrations of life in Bulgaria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frustrations of life in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next