View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

David Cameron's 'Veto' Empty
PostSubject: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 10:48 pm

As we all probably know David Cameron stood defiantly behind his historic veto of a new EU power grab today. So can someone please give me an insight as to how this looks for the uk and its citizens in the long run? I'm happy that DC has put his foot down, but I'm concerned he's done it to appease the public after years of meddling by Brussels and maybe there's others like me who don't understand the long term repercussions. Will this not hit the uk hard in the future?
Back to top Go down
LisA
Super user
Super user
LisA

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 11:03 pm

I can't answer your question Cheeky. This may be a silly question but If we come out of the EU completely will all the pensioners and ex-pats have to leave Bulgaria, Spain and France or any other eu country?
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 8:50 am

mmm as the uk only pays pensions to those in other eu countries, one can assume that payments would stop if the uk withdraws from the eu. for many there would be no choice other than to return to the uk. David Cameron's 'Veto' 794030042
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user
Gimp

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 9:09 am

I was asked if I was concerned that a vote to leave the EU would result in Bulgaria and other EU countries shipping out British ex-pats. (They were referring to the right to free movement of EU citizens) .This, is a real dilemma. For many ex-pats, a vote to leave the EU would be a stepping stone to reclaiming the Britain that some miss (and let's be honest a lot of ex-pats have left Britain but Britain hasn't left them, as evidenced by the lengths they go to to retain the old customs, habits, diets and way of life). But if that were the case would Bulgaria want to keep us, or would Bulgaria be bothered if we left? After all Bulgaria has realised to its cost over recent years that a British ex-pat community based heavily on the retired, who live on pensions which they spend mostly in the British, restaurants, shops, and other British suppliers doesn't exactly put much into the Bulgarian economy. Factor in the issue of health tourism and it is relatively easy to see that Bulgaria quite possibly wouldn't be at all worried if we left. And on the other side of the coin: would Britain want the ex-pats back? Capital diminished by the recent effects of the exchange rate and property prices, and the inevitable failing health of the older generation, isn't exactly an attractive proposition. It all adds up to an unattractive state of limbo for any ex-pats who find themselves tethered to a Britain cut loose from the EU.
Back to top Go down
cowshed-sarah
Super user
Super user
cowshed-sarah

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 9:24 am

For every action there is a reaction....but those shouting for the UK to leave Europe seldom think of the inevitable consequences!
Back to top Go down
Andy
Super user
Super user
Andy

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 9:27 am

Be careful, very very careful. The UK continues to pay £50 million a day and to obey the ridiculous rules and regulations that pour out of Brussels at the rate of 10 per day. The EU now intends to screw the City of London. Mr Cameron has said he has no intention of leaving the EU but he seems to have little idea of where he goes from here. So the UK is left in Europe and ruled by Europe unless we hear otherwise from Cameron. His track record does not inspire confidence.
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 10:01 am

I would disagree with the comment made , whilst I would say British ex-pats do, in fact, tend to spend their money on British business rather more than the local economy in which they live. They buy their food, clothing, decorating products and even their banking services from British sources even when they have offices in the country of their current abode. They may very well buy lots of wine locally, or whiskey and gin from the local supermarket, but their contribution to the community where they live is more on the negative side of the ledger. This is common in every area where ex-pats live though, not just in Bulgaria. I hear often enough the argument that they bring lots of investment to the area by actually buying their house, or employing a local builder (where they don't 'do it yourself', that is). This is also not much use to the local community as the sole beneficiaries of this 'investment is the builder himself (aren't Bulgarian builders doing well out of the Brits, by the way) or the estate agent! 'often a Brit, by the way' from whom they bought the house.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 10:25 am

Be careful here not to get taken in by all the media hype. David Cameron's 'Veto' 794030042

Will ex-pats be dismissed from where they live I think not. Silly talk. Put another side to it will Bulgarian, Romanian etc be dismissed from the UK eh no. What do we give to Bulgaria basically money we buy the food here we buy materials here, furniture etc so all this money goes somewhere. On the other hand what do Bulgarians get from the UK when they go to the UK, jobs and or benefits. As do many hundreds of other Nationalities. Where does this money come from, Our Taxes.

Most of this European treaty is about saving the Euro of which Britain is no part. Hence why the Germans and the French being the largest economies are striving to save their necks. Hence the new so called fiscal policy where the rest of the EU will have to fall in line;
a bit like the three Musketeers all for one and one for all. The Greeks should hold responsibility for most of the problems as they have a 'It wont happen to me attitude' unfortunately it has. I see nothing new in this UK stance as we are not in the Euro. Germany and France are the driving force behind it all which is what 2 world wars tried to stop.

Time will tell. But maybe not in our life time. This is a problem caused by live for today and worry about the consequences later. Hence something like I've used all the money allowed on my credit card and I cant repay the debt.

But if all does go whatsits up then so what. Is the UK that bad, we were all brought up there, have roots there. So would going back be such a big thing?
Back to top Go down
Noddy
Senior user
Senior user
Noddy

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 10:35 am

Sorry to disagree on a point here and that is what will happen to ex-pats if the uk leave the eu? well since our freedom of movement depends on the uk being a member state then yes it will make a difference but I'm sure that the powers that be would come up with a plan? but realistically if the uk isn't a member then all rights as ex-pats will be reverted to how it was before and that applies to all the eu members living in the uk so its not so silly after all in fact its a real possibility if the eu were to follow the rules as set out here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... he_eu.html But lets hope it doesn't come to anything like this and common sense prevails............ ? is that possible with the EU David Cameron's 'Veto' 2381841692
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user
sallyann

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 11:15 am

Its a very valid question that's been asked here and one I don't think anyone can answer accurately however if the rules were to be followed then anyone living in an eu country who is not an eu national would have to be repatriated to their own country but this does seem to be drastic but a real possibility.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 4:10 pm

As far as I can understand David Cameron has vetoed the acceptance of any Euro currency relief from Britain which is good. So far, as I understand it, he has not said anything about Britain actually leaving the Community. He should be applauded that British taxpayers will not be asked to pay anymore money to bail out the Euro.
Hysteria is ruling here. We came to Bulgaria before the country entered the EU. It was quite possible and will remain so just as people can move anywhere in the world if they can accept the bureaucracy and have enough money. The only real downside for Brits is the fact that their UK pensions would be frozen again. There maybe financial problems should Bulgaria still go Euro at some point if it still exists. If this is the case there will be even more pressure on the British Government to stop this unfair freezing of pensions when all British expats are saving the country millions in benefits. Don't panic folks - YET!!!!
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 4:14 pm

oldun wrote:
As far as I can understand David Cameron has vetoed the acceptance of any Euro currency relief from Britain which is good. So far, as I understand it, he has not said anything about Britain actually leaving the Community. He should be applauded that British taxpayers will not be asked to pay anymore money to bail out the Euro.
Hysteria is ruling here. We came to Bulgaria before the country entered the EU. It was quite possible and will remain so just as people can move anywhere in the world if they can accept the bureaucracy and have enough money. The only real downside for Brits is the fact that their UK pensions would be frozen again. There maybe financial problems should Bulgaria still go Euro at some point if it still exists. If this is the case there will be even more pressure on the British Government to stop this unfair freezing of pensions when all British expats are saving the country millions in benefits. Don't panic folks - YET!!!!

Nicely said g
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 4:20 pm

I agree with what you say oldun another good post as always :Clap:But as you say at the end "
Don't panic folks - YET!!!!"
nothing about the eu is set in stone and who knows what will happen next?
Back to top Go down
loopeylou
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 11:08 pm

makes interesting reading, why the UK should tell the eu to get stuffed!!

Articles: Who Pays for the European Union?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The financial burden of running Europe is not divided evenly among European countries. This fact makes the upcoming 2012 EU budget negotiations noteworthy even across the Atlantic.
Back to top Go down
Alfie
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:05 am

This is a view aired in Novinite:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The EUSSR???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Cameron's 'Veto'   David Cameron's 'Veto' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Cameron's 'Veto'

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next