Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Empty
PostSubject: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 6:51 pm

The traditional Bulgarian home-made alcoholic beverage, called RAKIA, has an important place in Bulgarian culture. Almost all Bulgarian families have their recipes for making rakia brandy or keep bottles of the drink for decades to open them on special occasions. Usually rakia goes hand in hand with the traditional Bulgarian Shopska Salad, made of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onion, parsley and white Bulgarian cheese. The rakia has its place on the holiday table as well. The strong beverage is traditional on the Balkans. In Bulgaria the most common varieties are grape, plum, and apricot rakia. But other varieties, made from pears, or cherries are also available. Rakia can age in oak casks until getting a unique mild taste. In the winter rakia can be prepared as a strong hot drink. Radka Stancheva from the village of Shishenci is 98 years old. Here is what she told us about rakia:
“Buy grape, crush it and let it stay for a while until fermentation starts. Then you make rakia,” she explains. “I do not add sugar. The best wine and rakia are made when you mix several varieties of grapes. You can use plums to make rakia, too. I haven’t made rakia from apricots or apples, though. The added sugar makes the rakia strong but we never add sugar. We don’t put herbs either. During the winter you put some sugar in the rakia and heat it until it boils. In our village it is a popular way of drinking rakia during the winter.”

In times of crisis a number of Bulgarians are concerned with prices and wonder which type of rakia is cheaper. The home made, of course. Production of rakia at home is a part of the Bulgarian culture in a number of regions. The tradition is attractive to foreigners, too. Two years ago the retired English policeman Michael Weavers, who now lives in the Bulgarian village of General Toshevo won the local rakia competition. The locals now call him with respect Bai Michael.
It is known that monks from the monasteries near the town of Troyan in Central Bulgaria are masters of the plum rakia, which is prepared according to a recipe from the 19th century. At least 12 different types of herbs are used but special varieties include 33 herbs. In the monasteries the rakia is stored in oak casks. Before pouring the rakia into bottles, it is blessed in front of an icon of St. George.
снимка: rakiq.comVassil Mandzhukov from the village of Oreshak told us more about the tradition of rakia production. “You should only drink rakia that has aged for 12 years,” he claims. “When we make rakia, we keep it in an oak cask for 6 months, before pouring into glass bottles and burying them in the ground,” he explains and adds: “Aged rakia has different qualities and that is why my father diet at 95.”

Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 8:33 pm

s s

Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy 3356871870 Thank you Admin - Radka Stancheva is 98 years old, how quaint g

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
Dobrich
Junior user
Junior user
Dobrich

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Drinking rakia is a common practice and most have a habit of drinking out of the same drinking vessel for years. Sometimes the type of drinking vessel can affect the taste of the rakia, for example wooden and metal materials can react with the spirit and give a slight taint to the finish. Traditionally in Bulgaria wooden vessels were used, but today glass is the best choice of material that does not impair the flavour of the rakia. If you currently use a metal or wooden vessel, try a change by using glass, it may well improve the rakia moment. The best places to get glass rakia drinking vessels are from restaurant supply retailers or restaurant equipment suppliers. It doesn't have to be a specific rakia drinking vessel as most spirit glasses will suffice. After all rakia is a brandy so one would assume that brandy glasses would be best. I actually disagree and recommend whisky glasses, not least because they can stand the 'knocks' when the 'Nastrave' is made. Whatever style of glass y................. Drunk
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 am

I think it could be interesting to start a Bulgarian wine thread Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy 739492727
Back to top Go down
1abroad
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 11:19 am

we often have dinner parties with our bulgarian friends. they provide a salad with rakia and we provide an english main. has taken me a long time to get used to starting a meal with the sort of drink us english normally finish a meal with. instead of putting the mixer in the rakia, two glasses are provided. first a sip of rakia, and then a glug of mixer
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 11:38 am

1abroad wrote:
instead of putting the mixer in the rakia, two glasses are provided. first a sip of rakia, and then a glug of mixer

Hi 1abroad,

This is Russian style - you down the vodka or other spirit and then follow with some sort of juice. It is also very common to follow the gulp of vodka with a bite of tomato, cucumber or some other vegetable or fruit. For the very poor who can't afford the juice or veg, they sniff their sleeve after every gulp :)) Strange, but true!! s s s s s s s s s
Back to top Go down
Andy
Super user
Super user
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 1:04 pm

This is very interesting and I would also like to know more about Bulgarian wine so if any of you who know about Bulgarian wine would care to start a topic I would love to know more about they types they have where its grown, and do they export any? the more information the better.
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Great idea Andy we just need someone on the forum who knows their wine to kick it off. Give it time and I'm sure someone will be along who will
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 3:55 pm

cheekychops wrote:
Great idea Andy we just need someone on the forum who knows their wine to kick it off. Give it time and I'm sure someone will be along who will

Can't wait to try some Bulgarian wine, a nice bottle of red would go down well.

Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy 405927828 Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy 1995268642 Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy 405927828 Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy 1995268642
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 4:07 pm

One of the best Bulgarian wines is 'Mavrud' ... a very deep red and very reasonably priced. Try it if you get a chance.

Otherwise, buy your wine at the vineyards ... much cheaper and much better ... generally, they have in 5 - 10 litre 'bag in box' Merlot, Carbernet, Sauvignon. All of which are fine and much cheaper than buying by the bottle.

If you buy from the vineyards direct, it works out at less than one euro a bottle, and is perfect for everyday drinking.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 9:02 pm

1 euro a bottle :shocked1:thats brilliant no wonder so many brits turn to drink once they get over there Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy 1995268642 thanks

sarah
Back to top Go down
fido
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 9:40 pm

I like the commercially made rakia but never took the risk of buying any of the odd cola bottles refilled with strange beverages and sold on some of the VT vegetable market stalls, perhaps I should live more dangerously. Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy 3023850720
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 9:31 pm

fido wrote:
I like the commercially made rakia but never took the risk of buying any of the odd cola bottles refilled with strange beverages and sold on some of the VT vegetable market stalls, perhaps I should live more dangerously. Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy 3023850720

I think its always good to try these things and get birth taste of the culture as they do and if you don't like it then at least you can say I've tried it and I can tell you there is a lot I have tried and will not try again but at least I have got an insight as to what its like which I think can only be good if you live in a country other than your birth place. So fido go out and dare a bit Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy 2706089290 try some from the neighbor thats usually a good place to start and it also helps you get to know them to.
Back to top Go down
Dobrich
Junior user
Junior user
Dobrich

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Maybe we could put together a list here of all the wines produced in Bulgaria what do you all think?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy   Bulgarian lifestyle and traditional Rakia brandy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1