altText
altText

Some children have no hope at all in Africa

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

Some children have no hope at all in Africa Empty
PostSubject: Some children have no hope at all in Africa   Some children have no hope at all in Africa Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 12:10 am

This really is so sad - makes you want to cry

Sponsor a child in South Africa

Girls, 14, made to marry in South Africa
Feb 18, 2010 10:25 AM

Girls, 14, made to marry in South Africa

Young girls, some aged no more than 14 are still being forced to marry in some isolated parts of South Africa, despite a driven to wipe out child marriage. In the country, which will host the World Cup this summer, hundreds of girls barely past puberty are forced to marry. Sometimes their own families arrange for them to be abducted and married off to men they don't know, in a practice village leaders call a tribal tradition

Speaking from a secret refuge in the province, some girls who had escaped the forced marriages spoke out about their ordeal. "
I cried to my mother for help when the man came for me, but she just told me she didn't want a spinster in her house,"
one 15-year-old said. For the eight months before she managed to flee, another teenager said she had been repeatedly raped and beaten by her "
husband"
. "
It was a very painful experience for me, in the first few days I didn't even know his name,"
she told Sky News.

In cut-off communities like these, where boys are valued far more than girls, young wives are a status symbol for older men. Fathers can pick up dowries and no longer have to pay to feed and house their daughters. Mothers are powerless to step in and many South African girls lurch straight from childhood to marriage once their father gives the word. Sometimes that word comes years before they even reach puberty. The consequences of these forced marriages are staggering. Teen years and schooling are cut short, immature girls are forced to cope with early pregnancies and dangerous births and are often forced to serve others throughout the rest of their lives. There is also the risk of HIV, at an age when girls do not grasp the risks of Aids. "
It is totally unacceptable,"
said Zoleka Capa, the first female Mayor in the area, who runs a refuge for girls who have escaped forced marriages. "
Forced marriage has no place in a democratic state. It is a violation of rights."

Ms Capa is using her status as mayor to campaign to alter the tradition. But her work has split the local community, in which male village leaders still call the shots. Girls’s mothers tell community elders when their daughters begin their menstrual cycle and from that point they are regarded as adults.

By Hayley Jarvis for SOS Children
Back to top Go down
Pavlova
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Some children have no hope at all in Africa   Some children have no hope at all in Africa Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 7:25 am

It is tragic.I watched a programme about this and it was heartbreaking..We live in such a cruel world. Same happens in the Roma community too with girls as old as 12 being married off although illegally.If a Roma girl gets to 15 and not married shes seen as fair game for male members of the society and can be repeatedly raped. There were a few suicides publicised last year by desperate girls. So so sad.....
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Some children have no hope at all in Africa   Some children have no hope at all in Africa Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 11:34 am

Life can be so cruel

Oddy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Some children have no hope at all in Africa   Some children have no hope at all in Africa Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 11:41 am

I didn't see the program but after reading this it makes me wonder what the world is coming to and for that matter what anyone is doing about it we seem to be more interested in flying to the moon and wondering what's happening up there when we should all concentrate on here and now
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some children have no hope at all in Africa   Some children have no hope at all in Africa Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some children have no hope at all in Africa

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1