View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Cream? Empty
PostSubject: Cream?   Cream? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 8:00 am

Anyone know where I might get double cream, not uht? And what it is definitely called, exactly? I get my milk straight from the farm and he does yoghurt and sirene but not cream. I am keen to make my own butter and at the moment I can only make miniscule amounts by skimming off the little bit of cream from the milk. Unfortunately by the time I have enough to make a small pat of butter it is starting to spoil as it is raw milk.

I have tried all sorts from Kaufland and Lidl, but it is usually creme fraiche or fake stuff, often sweetened.

Thanks for reading.

Sara
Back to top Go down
blanche

Cream? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cream?   Cream? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 8:41 am

there must be a way of doing it as lots of people here make their own butter but sorry i haven't a clue will ask my friend later as i'm sure she has made her own butter and i'm sure that someone will be along shortly who can help you out
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Cream? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cream?   Cream? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 8:44 am

blanche wrote:
there must be a way of doing it as lots of people here make their own butter but sorry i haven't a clue will ask my friend later as i'm sure she has made her own butter and i'm sure that someone will be along shortly who can help you out
Thanks. g
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Cream? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cream?   Cream? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 9:24 am

I buy Smetana which is an unsweetened thick cream. Don't know if its suitable for butter making but I don't see why not. Meggle, Danone and others make it. I find it on the milk/cream/yoghurt shelves in the supermarket. Its in small or large tubs like yoghurt and costs around 1.35 small and 1.75 large depending on make. All seem the same to me but some a bit thicker than others and most offering 20% fat content. Not sure if this helps not being a butter maker although I have made some cream cheese by filtering stale milk for a couple of days.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Cream? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cream?   Cream? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 9:28 am

oldun wrote:
I buy Smetana which is an unsweetened thick cream. Don't know if its suitable for butter making but I don't see why not. Meggle, Danone and others make it.

I agree with oldun, ask for smetana (сметана) which is thick cream (there isn't really a 'double' or 'single' variation in Bulgaria).

Avoid asking for krem (крем) as this is something to be rubbed on sore spots! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Cream? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cream?   Cream? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 9:33 am

Chris wrote:
oldun wrote:
I buy Smetana which is an unsweetened thick cream. Don't know if its suitable for butter making but I don't see why not. Meggle, Danone and others make it.

I agree with oldun, ask for smetana (сметана) which is thick cream (there isn't really a 'double' or 'single' variation in Bulgaria).

Avoid asking for krem (крем) as this is something to be rubbed on sore spots! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks both, that is what I have bought thinking it was cream, and it is, but slightly soured. T

And I will avoid the krem, Chris. Cream? 1865348797
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cream? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cream?   Cream? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cream?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1