Winters here at last.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 44 ... 70  Next
AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

AuthorMessage
karenpenny

Winters here at last. - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:56 am

Don't you believe it, personally I would not be able to go 2 hours without a coffee and we have a water butt so as long as the electricity behaves itself today it is business as usual
Back to top Go down
Banned member2
Anonymous

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 12:19 pm

You will need to know the size of you rooms so you can calculate the heat loss . then you will know the size of the fire you need . Then you can go from there , the prise of the job would depend on the cost of the materials , in Bulgaria you can get very cheap Turkish rads medium prised Italian rads or expensive rads . The same goes for the fire you pay your money so to speak .
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks John its all food for thought.i think we will be getting it in for next year.just wondering if Petchkas was the way to go

Mike
Back to top Go down
Banned member2
Anonymous

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 4:00 pm

Yes Mike wood fired central heating is the best way to go and the cheapest , you could have gas but that is expensive to run oil the same , wood chip is good if you dont want the inconvenience of cutting wood . You can get a good fire in Bulgaria cheaper than you can in England , in fact a firm here makes fires just for the English market . So no point in bringing one over , You can get good boilers as well , again much cheaper . The average i would say for 8 rads is around 4500 leva to 5000 leva for a mid range job .
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Thats not bad price i would think i would need about 7 radiators

Thanks

John
Back to top Go down
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 8:09 pm

mickhev wrote:
Do you have your central heating running off a Petchka. how many radiators,something i think i will look at for next year
Mike
Hi Mike We have had a Kotel (petchka) for 3 years now. 30.000btu and runs 10 rads. no problems with it. I have a backup Battery lasts about an 1-1/2 hours, also little generator connected to a socket through the house wall in case the electricity goes off for any length of time, to keep the pump going. It keeps the 2 story house at about 18-20 C even in these bad temp. Best investment I made here. And only feeding one fire. We usually let it go out at night unless it is very cold, We built a Kitchen/dining/lounge extension on the front, lower half of the house using Y-tong blocks laid 30 cms wide that really is brilliant in winter and summer for insulation. Go for it.
Back to top Go down
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 8:12 pm

PS Mike. I think ours was around 6,000 but we have sectioned aluminium rads. which you make up your own sized rads. which pushed the price up but I think worth it.
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for that dave,i can manage the cold but my wife likes it warm,well hot really,and she hasn't moved far from it this past week.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:58 am

[size=75:2kcbdy8h]novinite 29 January 2010

Heavy Snow Follows Bulgaria Big Freeze

After a freezing spell in which temperatures fell to -28oC in some parts of Bulgaria, snow has now returned bringing difficult conditions in the Bulgarian capital Sofia.

12-27 cm of snow fell overnight in Sofia and Western parts of Bulgaria. The press center of the Sofia Municipality reported early Friday that snow clearing operations continued all night and reminded citizens to clear pavements in front of their offices, shops and apartment blocks.

There have been some reports of traffic jams in the centre of Sofia, especially in the Ruski Pametnik area.

The snow is set to move across the country later Friday, with snow in the West set to stop falling before Lunch time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 11:33 am

Admin wrote:
There have been some reports of traffic jams in the center of Sofia, especially in the ‘Ruski Pametnik’ area.
Crikey, used to live there! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Blue skies here at the moment but very cold. Snow should be back before the weekend we expect.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:08 pm

Ashley your such a happy chappie with all this wonderful news,,,,,,,,i think you just want us to freeze

Mike
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:17 pm

No Mate just keeping you updated so you don't freeze after all you need to be fit and well to get up to collect those eggs
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
karenpenny

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:06 pm

well my house and office turned into igloo's over the past two weeks but the temperate are rising, however that does not mean that there is an end to the snow as I discovered last night. My bedroom is so light when I turn off the light, I could nearly read. Has anyone else noticed this?
Back to top Go down
hev
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:07 pm

No I havent been in your bedroom lol
Back to top Go down
abracadabra
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Yesterday we went to a friend's house in the mountains about 20 K from here. They had been away for 2 weeks and had come back to a house that is literally freezing, the temp in the kitchen was -6 with ice on the kitchen and bedroom walls inside, bone chillingly cold. They have a petchka in the living room and that is the only warm room at the moment.

Their pipes have frozen so there's no water for anything, it's a case of slowly melting snow on the petchka.

Of course we invited them over to ours which is at least warm but they are staying put to try and get the house warm...

Boy have we got some lessons learned this first winter. between that and...

Had a phone call earlier today to say that another friend (not here) has a major problem as the pipe in the front garden had burst and turned into a fountain. Naturally this was noticed, and the mayor has got a local plumber "
maestro"
to turn the water off, but the pipe must have given way slowly, as the garden which is low down is about a meter and half deep in water.

This same village which is near Bourgas also got flooded in that bad weather last week and we are told that as a consequence, there is a lot of water inside the house. Once we can get INTO the village, which is 90 K away from here ( and has such deep snow even a 4x4 won't get in without a struggle apparently) we will go and see what - if anything - we can do to try and remedy the damage.

It puts the few extremely minor problems we pesonally have experienced over this cold spell into perspective!

Karen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winters here at last.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 18 of 70Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 44 ... 70  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The weather wherever you are ?-