View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Empty
PostSubject: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Our builder has informed us today he cannot get wood or coal in VT !!!!!!
We arrive in less than two weeks we will be frozen Brrrrr.
Surely someone on our lovely Forum will advise us where to get some [ Please ] Help anyone - Where is all the wood? 794030042 Help anyone - Where is all the wood? 794030042
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Ask your builder to contact the local mayor, he should know!
We have seen a place in Gorna that sells wood already chopped but haven't been there for some time.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Scunnered wrote:
Ask your builder to contact the local mayor, he should know!
We have seen a place in Gorna that sells wood already chopped but haven't been there for some time.

Thanks Scunnered will have a search around when we get there, I will hopefully bump into the Mayor whilst walking my dogs.

Help anyone - Where is all the wood? 1536469901 Help anyone - Where is all the wood? 1536469901
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 pm

In some villages the Mayor will come to you to introduce themselves so fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 10:20 pm

There was no wood in Yambol this weekend - so I would not be surprised if it is the same in VT. Many yards were still empty on Monday.

Good Luck!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 7:13 am

we arrived in december in the height of winter, we knew nothing and nobody, not a clue where to get wood from and no other form of heating as backup. the neighbours were curious and came round, although not one word of english was spoke, within hours they turned up with wood, a bale of straw to put down on the water metre, a supply of home knitted socks and waistcoats to wear.. H :Hearts:we got a delivery of wood within 3 days. what a welcome, what lovely people. H H H
5 years on, they are still the same. H
Back to top Go down
snail
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:01 am

it is very difficult to find wood due to the harsh adverse weather conditions we had recently.The foresters couldn't get to the wooded area's and this caused a huge demand on the limited supplies which just fizzled out.lf you find any wood,make sure the wood is seasoned,other wise it will not burn.You can check this out by the color of the wood.lf the wood is more of a browny color then it is good to burn.But if the wood is light and smells frsh,do not buy it unless you want to seasoned it yourself.

l was wondering if the Bulgarian Government try and promote the making of paper mache logs.lf they are done properly these substitute logs would give a good heat and is good for the environment.l made these myself while l was back in England.
What l did was.l collected loads of waste paper,mixed it all up in a large container.The ink floats to the top and then just skim the ink off and throw it away.The next stage is to find a log shape container[a good piping tube will do]drills small holes on the sides of the pipe and also find a plug for one end to be sealed.lt doesn't have to be tight,but it should be firmly fixed into the end of the tube to stop it from coming away when the mache is pressed,l used a food tin for this and banged a few holes in the tin with a nail.
Once the tin is in place.Stand the tube upright and bung in your paper mache in the tube[squeeze as much water as you can,this stops it from flowing out of the holes]Compress the mache down with a smaller tin so the tin can easily slide down in the tube while compressing the mache[l used a fairly robust tree branch to tamp the tin further into the tube]wait for a while like an hour or so and repeat the tamping down and keep on repeating that until you are satisfied the mache is compressed hard.wait for it to slightly dry[shouldn't take to long]and then just tap the paper mache log out from one end.
Wallah!,you have your ready made log.lf you make a few of these on a daily basis starting in the summer time.You will have a plentiful supply of logs where it didn't cost you a penny.
Good luck
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:07 am

Help anyone - Where is all the wood? 3356871870
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Oh dear - I assumed you had already asked your builder to organise wood when you posted a while ago. I'm sure your Bulgarian neighbours will help you and don't wait for the Mayor to visit, go to his office yourselves as soon as you arrive. A bottle of good malt may help move things along as a gesture of friendliness.
Its because of this hard winter, the worst for 20 years, that stocks are running out. Bulgarians have been buying in extra not just the Brits. Now, because of the snow it will be difficult to transport wood even if there are stocks available. VT has been very hard hit and especially surrounding villages.
When you do find a supplier, buy loads because it will take at least one summer to season it for good burning and maximum heat with little smoke. Not knowing the size of your house, I would think a minimum of 6cubics and double this if possible. It will come in very big logs for the best price (maybe through the Mayor, although my understanding is that this is the price for pensioners) and either chainsaw it yourselves into manageable logs or pay to have it chopped to size. I'm afraid your choices might be a bit limited in view of this hard winter though not impossible. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Just thought I would post a pic of what 6 cubics of wood looks like. This is not all of it which was being moved to our new house, but gives an idea. This year we have already burnt nearly all of it so will have to re-stock with about 12 cubics or more. Our house is not really big. The heating is all on one floor and there are 3 big radiators in 3 rooms and a towel rail in the small bathroom off the Prity woodburner. Hope this helps you Itchyfeet.
A picure is worth a thousand words!
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 2:38 pm

My neighbour is still selling chopped wood in white sacks but we're quite a long wat from VT. I'm told Popovo and Razgrad have both sold out. Hopefully they'll still be someone in your village when you get here.
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Annette and I thank all you Forum members for your help and advice. This is what makes this Forum so good and friendly to other members. Our builder has been using some of his own wood to warm our house while he and his sons do work on it, but unfortunately he is running out now after using wood on our place and heating his own property. We very much hope that we can get some somewhere when we arrive, otherwise the electric heaters will come out for what good they may do!!

With bugle in hand and about to play the Last Post and Annette ready to lower the Union Jack at our humble abode, the bugle was snatched out my hand I was told not yet . . . . . NOT YET I replied what do yer mean? Snow was the answer and loads of it sweeping across Europe and half paralysing every country it went to. So that is our static situation as I sit here and tap this out on the computer. Turkey on the other hand is not swathed in sunshine as we would like, it is more akin to sitting under a running hosepipe, the whole place is a great sopping mess. So life here has taken a backward step as we tap our fingers and feet and yawn constantly waiting for that magic moment when we can leave this part of Asia Minor, possibly never to return. Nine days to go (not counting of course?!?!)
Eric

s s s
Back to top Go down
snail
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 5:20 pm

l do hope everything will go well for you.
l looked on the weather satellite and it seems the weather will get milder.A little bit of a breathing space there for you to play on time.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:56 pm

snail wrote:
l do hope everything will go well for you.
l looked on the weather satellite and it seems the weather will get milder.A little bit of a breathing space there for you to play on time.

Thanks Bob. You will know how we are feeling right now. I remember how excited you were when you sold here in Turkey, and how you were looking forward to a new adventure.
We are so sorry you are leaving BG. You have had a rough time we know in Turkey, and sadly that had to follow you in some uncanny way.
Thank you for all the useful tips you have given and, some of your stories have been so amusing. But most of all, thank you for being you.
Wishing you and your wife every happiness. Please continue to be a member on here.
s Help anyone - Where is all the wood? 1430720830 s

Last edited by 778 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:57 pm

Itchy I will contact my friends in VT and see if they can help. c
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help anyone - Where is all the wood?   Help anyone - Where is all the wood? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help anyone - Where is all the wood?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next