View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 1:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Can I invite the members of the forum to have a debate and post their views on the Scottish Independence issues

There are many topic's involved in a debate of this nature
Example's, Would Scotland have to join the EU if they went Independent
Which currency would they use
Would there be a border between the two countries
Would passport have to be shown when entering or leaving the country
Does it mean that there's no longer a British passport, in my case would it be English and in my wife's case be Scottish
What would happen to the people who live and work near to where the border might be
An English and Scottish married couple have children, which nationality would the children have

On a personal note, my wife is a Scottish lassie, if Scotland get's Independence does that mean that I am married to a foreigner

There are a few to go on with
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... s-16779891 Could this be another storm in a "
Tea"
Cup Scotlands Independence - Page 5 1865348797
T

Last edited by 178 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 1:40 pm

one may have be born to be Irish Scottish Welsh or English ... be we were ALL born under the umbrella of the United Kingdom , The British Isles
and its been known as such for yonks

this is all stupid ...such as is humanity at the moment !!
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:50 pm

varnagirl wrote:
one may have be born to be Irish Scottish Welsh or English ... be we were ALL born under the umbrella of the United Kingdom , The British Isles
and its been known as such for yonks

this is all stupid ...such as is humanity at the moment !!
Very good point varnagirl, we are supposedly all brothers. yes I agree it is all stupid. If the referendum is a YES vote (big if) does that mean I am married to a foreigner and will Scottish law be the same as English law over house ownership and divorce etc. Who will pay my wife's pension if she is living in England as a foreigner. I think I will stop there as I might get carried away over issues between :Scotlands Independence - Page 5 1931734156:
The poll at the top of the page doesn't appear to be moving. How about all the new members on the forum casting a vote Scotlands Independence - Page 5 1536469901
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Being do a bit of research on this subject. If the figures are correct there are 400,000 English, Welsh and Irish living in Scotland, will they be told to get out of their newly formed country and how about all the Scot's living all over the world, will they be allowed a vote, if so how, or will it be left to the newly introduced 16 year old voters. Being married to a Scot these are the sort of questions we are discussing, at least she tells me she is happy with her life in England but loves to go back occasionally to visit and holidaying

Dumfries &
Galloway: 15.64%
Scottish Borders: 16.84%
Argyll &
Bute: 17.04%
Orkney: 13.63%
Highland: 13.70%
City of Edinburgh: 12.14%

However, some other places are much less attractive to English incomers, such as:

South Lanarkshire: 4.05%
Glasgow City: 4.24%
North Ayrshire: 5.91%

The figure for Scotland as a whole is 8.08%.

I've been in some parts of Scotland (such as some of the Orkney islands) where it seems to be quite hard to hear a non-English voice. Obviously the last Census was carried out almost a decade ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if the percentages of English-born residents prove to be even higher in the 2011 Census, though naturally the children of many of the English settlers will appear in the census as Scottish-born.

As to why English people move to Scotland, I suppose a few possibilities are desire to get away from overcrowded cities and their hassle, the attraction of beautiful and peaceful places, or the lower house and land prices that exist in many parts of Scotland. In this region we get quite a lot of English people who choose to retire here because they can sell their properties in England and then buy somewhere in this area for half the price, which certainly enhances their financial situation. Some come to Scotland because they're interested in wildlife or in field sports like fishing or shooting. Scotlands Independence - Page 5 1536469901
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Here are the proposals at a glance, to long to copy &
paste [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... s-21414538
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 am

I can't see this happening myself. This would be so costly to Scotland in so many ways they already get so much from the rest of Britain I don't think financially its possible and I don't think they have even thought this through.
Back to top Go down
chrissybg
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 12:45 pm

I feel that Great Britain has been smashed about enough over the years. It was Great but ir has lost too much.
To chop it all up further is going to bring Great Britain to it's knees
I am not against any race or religion I embrace all people as my sisters and brothers but i do believe the mixed pot of nationalities is bringing the country down or at least giving the excuse To loose part of the British Iles takes all the history back hundreds of year and could create war again between Scotland and England as it is with part of Ireland.
My opinion for what it is worth is that we should hold together as one union
Back to top Go down
Andy
Super user
Super user
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Scotland want it all ways, they want independence but don't want to reapply for the EU and UN, want to keep the pound but don't want their share if the debt that goes with it. Call out government 'arrogant', as far as in concerned you can cut Scotland off and float it away along with all the Scottish that want to be independent. It's no different than your children leaving home and mum and dad pay the rent an do the dirty dishes, washing and ironing. "
The Scottish Government claims that Scotland would remain a member of existing international organisations such as the United Nations, the International Monetary Fund and, crucially, the European Union"
This and Salmond's claim to retain the pound shows, once again, that they have no understanding of anything. Should Scotland gain independence. they become a new nation. Membership of any international organisation is presently based on their being part of the UK;
as a new nation, all memberships will have to be re-negotiated. Likewise, they cannot choose to continue using the English pound. they will have to create their own currency, based on their own economy. They can still use the name 'pound', but it will be the Scottish pound.
Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 2:09 pm

I suspect when it comes to the referendum the majority vote will be NO, the Scots do not want independence. BUT I do think they should pay for their own education, prescription drugs etc etc without being subsidised by England. Their MPs should be paid for by the Scottish Parliament and they should not be allowed to sit or vote on issues affecting the rest of the UK in Westminster. Does the revenue from North Sea Oil - which I thought was running out anyway - far exceed the generous "
allowance"
Scotland gets from England?
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user
Gimp

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 2:13 pm

Looking at all the ''Negative'' sides, why don't we English declare Independence? Just imagine, free from all our ''Obligations''! Free to have a real English Parliament to make our own laws, and rules? Down side to it of course, we would have to deal with the world, without the Guidance of the EU or the USA? And we would not have any more excess cheap labor! And of course, our smaller Parliament members would not have any choice future jobs in the EU. ? And then there is the fact that we would not be able to moan about the NHS or Education being ruined? What would happen if we lost our National Sport of Moaning about not being able to do anything about it? No, I think I start a new party, the English Independence Party? Scotlands Independence - Page 5 1865348797
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Andy wrote:
Scotland want it all ways, they want independence but don't want to reapply for the EU and UN, want to keep the pound but don't want their share if the debt that goes with it. Call out government 'arrogant', as far as in concerned you can cut Scotland off and float it away along with all the Scottish that want to be independent. It's no different than your children leaving home and mum and dad pay the rent an do the dirty dishes, washing and ironing. "
The Scottish Government claims that Scotland would remain a member of existing international organisations such as the United Nations, the International Monetary Fund and, crucially, the European Union"
This and Salmond's claim to retain the pound shows, once again, that they have no understanding of anything. Should Scotland gain independence. they become a new nation. Membership of any international organisation is presently based on their being part of the UK;
as a new nation, all memberships will have to be re-negotiated. Likewise, they cannot choose to continue using the English pound. they will have to create their own currency, based on their own economy. They can still use the name 'pound', but it will be the Scottish pound.

Very :Good post:Andy, I think it will be a NO vote. My Scottish wife hopes and thinks it will be a NO vote and I would think the PM is fairly confident it will be a NO vote. If it were to be a YES vote, many things will have to change, not just in the UK but in the whole world, who is going to pay for everything (lawyers at £1000 per hour for example) I would think it would bankrupt Scotland before they got it off the ground
I nearly forgot, they have got the Royal Bank of Scotland Scotlands Independence - Page 5 927475117
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 5:26 pm

Scotland already has its own money - notes issued by The Royal Bank of Scotland, The Bank of Scotland and The Clydesdale Bank.
Incidentally, a Scotsman co-founded The Bank of England! g
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 11:18 am

Scunnered wrote:
Scotland already has its own money - notes issued by The Royal Bank of Scotland, The Bank of Scotland and The Clydesdale Bank.
Incidentally, a Scotsman co-founded The Bank of England! g

Is this not a concern for the future
RBS was bailed out at the height of the banking crisis and is still majority owned by the taxpayer
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 11:22 am

I thought the following link might of interest. You can still cast your vote
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... r-scotland
Whether we are all part of the UK or not we can still remain :Scotlands Independence - Page 5 1931734156: There'll always be an England [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (skip the advert) Scotlands Independence - Page 5 1536469901
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 10:30 pm

willowsend wrote:

Whether we are all part of the UK or not we can still remain :Scotlands Independence - Page 5 1931734156: There'll always be an England Scotlands Independence - Page 5 1536469901

Yes Willow - we can always sing "
Land of Hope and Glory"
- I don't seem to be able to play it on my bagpipes though!!

:Snow window: :Kilt:
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 5:33 pm

itchyfeet wrote:
willowsend wrote:

Whether we are all part of the UK or not we can still remain :Scotlands Independence - Page 5 1931734156: There'll always be an England Scotlands Independence - Page 5 1536469901

Yes Willow - we can always sing "
Land of Hope and Glory"
- I don't seem to be able to play it on my bagpipes though!!

:Snow window: :Kilt:

itchy, you have plenty of time to learn it, anyway you are an Englishman in a kilt so there shouldn't be a problem :Very funny 2:Here is the information and date for the Scot's claiming their independence/ I think the whole thing is a farce Scotlands Independence - Page 5 794030042
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... -21828424#
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Scotlands Independence - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scotlands Independence

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: ExPat Lounge-