altText

Cooking the bird!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

Cooking the bird! Empty
PostSubject: Cooking the bird!   Cooking the bird! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 1:51 pm

This year, for the first time, I cooked a turkey in my woodburning stove. Very successful it was too and probably the most moist I have cooked in an ordinary oven. I am wondering what 'bird' some of you cooked and how. I have seen villagers cooking a Christmas pot of stew on a simple fire in the garden and it looked and smelled delicious. A neighbour of mine gave me a cockerel so I will be cooking coq au vin soon also in the woodburner.
When I went on a walk on Christmas Day, I popped in to an old couple's house and was made to stay for the obligatory rakia with pickles and special Christmas banitsa. After a huge turkey lunch complete with trimmings and followed by Christmas pud, I was well and truly stuffed!!!
At the big Pensioner's party pre-Christmas, we all had a plate of mezes (cold!) of chicken, sliced meats, pickles and potatoes with lots of wine, rakia, whiskey and soft drinks which was enjoyed by all except me! I really find eating cold fried food very hard to digest but I know its what the villagers are used to so I make the effort to say 'mnogo hubavo'.
Altogether a lovely Christmas in spite of me being a bit cynical right up until Christmas week. How about you? Cooking the bird! 3023850720
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

Cooking the bird! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooking the bird!   Cooking the bird! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 3:00 pm

Glad you had such a lovely christmas and your turkey looks delicious. We had goose cooked in the mini oven as i havent got the hang of cooking in the woodburner yet. Then we went skiing down the hill near our house. Hope your new year is just as lovely. s
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
fido
Junior user
Junior user

Cooking the bird! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooking the bird!   Cooking the bird! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Interesting. Is that a Prity stove? I looked at the range version of the Prity but ended up buying a secondhand Austrian Windhager range, which also does the central heating. I got the system up and running a few days ago and the Christmas meal was the second one cooked on it. I only used the hob though as the oven does not seem to get hot enough. I think there might be some bits missing that should control the flow of smoke round the oven shell. I preferred my old '50s Rayburn as that had a very thick cast iron hob which tended to always be hot enough as it retained the heat from when the stove was last well stoked.The cold pan placed on the hob would not locally cool the hob surface significantly because there was so much hot iron under it. This Windhager has quite thin hob plates so it can be a struggle to bring spuds etc to the boil, though it is perfect for simmering.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

Cooking the bird! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooking the bird!   Cooking the bird! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 3:50 pm

I cheated, i had marks and spencer turkey breast :Food:it was lovely. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

Cooking the bird! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooking the bird!   Cooking the bird! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 6:35 pm

I did a goose in a gas oven and it was beautifull... :Xmas1:
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

Cooking the bird! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooking the bird!   Cooking the bird! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 11:02 pm

We went to a friends and it was pork but cooked outside on a spit.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Cooking the bird! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooking the bird!   Cooking the bird! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 10:26 am

I think Davshaz takes the prize - you can't beat spit -roasted. Beautifulangel I also use a mini-oven when not enough room in the woodburner which isn't often. Its really brilliant and space saving and doesn't need 3 phase electric! Yes Fido, it is a Prity and it also has radiators off it for central heating. Works brilliantly and I can boil veggies in the oven too. I would really recommend these ovens as it saves so much on electric bills. Of course, we have a battery if the electric goes off to power the pump.
Turkey sandwhiches for lunch yesterday and cold turkey and fry up for supper. Stew today and lots of stock for soup and bits for the animals! Coq au vin for New Year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cooking the bird! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooking the bird!   Cooking the bird! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cooking the bird!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1