Super days!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

Super days! Empty
PostSubject: Super days!   Super days! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 9:46 am

After all the trauma I have been posting lately, here is one about a really super day I had yesterday. Our village folk choir was singing in a very big festival held at Arbanassi Monastery which is a wonderful place to visit anyway. I believe it was to celebrate St Peter and Paul and the event is held annually. It is huge and certainly the biggest one we have attended.
We all gathered in our village square at 8am in costume which is not the best part of my day. We piled into 2 vehicles, one being a transit van with seats and one being a much posher people carrier. I was in the transit van and we had to stop en route for petrol and air in the tyres - a bit worrying! When we arrived about half an hour later there were already people arriving and we were met by several police directing parking. We were dropped off at the beginning of the area and wandered through stall after stall selling everything from food, drink, jewellery, toys, clothes, pottery etc etc. I couldn't believe everywhere seemed so busy at that early hour, but of course, the Bulgarians are always up with the lark.
There were two huge stages with choirs already singing on both and people milling about supporting their villages and enjoying the scenery, weather and folk singing. The weather had decided to be bright and sunny with a light breeze which was good because there had been the threat of thunderstorms during the night. I did notice lots of big umbrellas though and one stage was covered so I think the event would still have gone on regardless. Bulgarians are a hardy lot!
We were number 22 on the programme so I hung around taking some photos but keeping an eye on my ladies in case we were called. I was so nervous and felt dizzy and disorientated through nerves and the recent upsets I have mentioned. Plus of course, worrying about my solo when I saw all the microphones and realised that there would be no hiding place if I went off key.
Finally at about 10am we were called back- stage to wait for 5minutes ready for our turn to sing. Lots of shuffling around getting into our places which was a little tricky as we were atop a concrete block with no railings leaving little room for manoevre but a lot of room for a fall. No health and safety here! Finally we were on.. I had tight hold of my 'words' because of the wind. A man placed the microphones in appropriate places with one directly in front of me. We all had to shuffle forward and then we sang. Both songs were well received and then came my turn. The mike was moved even closer and our lovely choir teacher and accordianist gave me a big smile of encouragement. I began the first line and was immediately interrupted by a voice announcing for the second time, that I was an 'Anglichanka named An Tomac' and everyone cheered as I kept on going. I got through it without mishap or embarrassment with everyone clapping and shouting 'Bravo'. Afterwards. various ladies from other choirs came up to shake my hand and offer congratulations. I am sure most of it was because of me using their language rather than my voice but whatever, it was so very encouraging and nice to know I hadn't made a fool of myself. I doubt our choir mistress would have asked me to do it if she thought I wasn't up to it. I have found the song on Youtube and I had rehearsed it privately. There are several versions and some are in Chalga style but there is one by a famous Bulgarian singer called Sylvie Vartan and I could follow her folk rendition. It is a nostalgic song about Bulgarians living abroad so quite appropriate for me to sing living in Bulgaria away from home. Its called in English 'Tell me Little Cloud...' I think.
After all that we all went our separate ways looking around the stalls and I was thoroughly enjoying the spectacle of all the costumes and the little children from dance groups. I went for a kebabche and a draught beer which I relished in relief. Strangely enough, with all the stalls offering refreshments, I had chosen by chance, one run by the daughter of one of the ladies in the choir who lives in another village. She was proud to tell me it was her daughter's stall and I thought it another of life's coincidences which make you think....
Finally I made my way back to my ladies and we gathered together to walk back to our parked transport and home. What a super day I had.
Anyone else had a Super Day lately? s
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

Super days! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super days!   Super days! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:21 am

Well done. Super days! 739492727
A day you will always remember.
s
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

Super days! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super days!   Super days! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 5:04 pm

glad you had a lovely day, sounded wonderful. g s
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

Super days! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super days!   Super days! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 9:34 am

Sounds like you had a fantastic day. I'm glad everything went well. Congratulations. Super days! 3356871870 s
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
pixi
Super user
Super user

Super days! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super days!   Super days! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Congratulations I bet you felt on top of the world g Super days! 570106603
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Super days! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super days!   Super days! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Well thanks everyone but I really only posted for people to understand that its really worthwhile going to some of these festivals. Its not about me particularly but just my views and description of what goes on. Today I'm back down to earth. s
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Super days! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super days!   Super days! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 10:01 am

Oops - it was Lyaskovetz Monastery and not Arbanassi! However, I have just had another 'super day' which I just have to write down because it made me so happy after the 'broken leg incident'.
A couple of days ago I was told that I should be in the village square at 7pm on Thursday. No information as usual, except that it was not for a choir performance and it was FREE. 3 of my ladies also gave me this information to be sure I would turn up. I did, of course, in my new Bulgarian outfit which was much admired by all and amazed that it only cost me 38 levs bought in a little shop in VT which caters for ladies of a 'certain age (and shape!) who have long lost their stick-thin Bulgarian figure. 6 of us piled into the same transit van type taxi and drove at break-neck speed to Kapinovo Monastery which is a really pretty place with a glorious waterfall. I had been there once before when the VT bikefest used to be held there years ago. That was another intriging story which involved our dog and a taxi........
When we arrived, a huge table outside a traditional restaurant near the waterfall, was already full of the rest of the choir who had been picked up by the Mayor and the table was set with shopska salads and drinks which of course, included home-made rakia, whisky and pop.
It started off with the usual chatter and I took in the scene. All the ladies looked beautiful in various special outfits. I commented on one lady's blouse and she told me she had had it for 20 years although it was now getting a little tight.
As the drink flowed hosted by the Mayor and a waiter brought the kebabski's, sausage and chips, it got livelier and livelier and inevitably the accordian came out and the singing started, everyone completely oblivious of anyone else in the restaurant. The plasma TV showing 'Bulgaria Folk' channel was turned down and everyone sang out of pure enjoyment and festive spirit. Eventually, I relaxed and I find on my camera (I always seem to be unofficial photographer for the village computer!) this morning, that someone took a picture of me 'dancing' looking a little pie-eyed. Yes, I had definitely overdosed my usual two glasses of wine in the evening and mixed rakia and beer. Oh well, I felt good and very happy so what the heck?
The best bit was yet to come. We returned a different way home and I soon recognised the loggers route through the woods which we had taken as mentioned previously, with our taxi driver. I knew there would be stones and huge water logged potholes. ....and there were. What excitement. A vanful of pensioners driven at speed at midnight through the dark woods! It was hilarious especially as we were now overloaded with 11 of us plus driver as the Mayor had taken two trips to get there in the first place. It must be about 10kms at least and its one place where a 4x4 would come into its own. However, the Mayor's old Lada and our old transit van did very well to get us home safe and sound although the Mayor's car did stall once. Its a ride I will never forget and although it might not be a sensible thing to do, it was like being a teenager again and I am sure did us all a power of good.
On saying 'goodnight' there were so many real hugs and kisses that will keep me happy for quite a while to come and one lady even gave me a gift of her own special home-made rakia. We had shared the bus ride from town in the morning and had sat together with all our heavy shopping. There are times when I really wish my Bulgarian was more fluent but I think they all know how much I appreciate their friendship.
Definitely a night to remember and who says you can't have fun when you are old? Super days! 1865348797 Super days! 405927828 s g
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

Super days! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super days!   Super days! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Oldun - another lovely story - Bulgaria really can be a fantastic place to live. It has so much to offer, especially if you just join in and go with the flow.

Hope you have many more super days!! I hope I have the same spirit when I am a bit longer in the tooth!!
Super days! 3356871870
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
Sponsored content

Super days! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super days!   Super days! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Super days!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1