Should Scotland achieve independence?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

Should Scotland achieve independence? Empty
PostSubject: Should Scotland achieve independence?   Should Scotland achieve independence? Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 5:34 pm

When New Labour granted Scotland its own parliament in the late 1990s, its leaders arrogantly brushed aside the concerns of those who feared that it would let the Scottish National Party into power and clear the way to the break-up of Britain. Proponents of Scottish home rule such as Gordon Brown claimed that their constitutional revolution would somehow ‘strengthen the United Kingdom’ If Scotland stayed as part of Britain, but got its own parliament within the Union to control education, health, transport, then this would supposedly satisfy demands for more autonomy without the UK splitting up. I personally believe that the UK should not be broken up by the independence of any of the nations that make up the union. Scotland and England were enemies a long time ago, but for goodness sake lets get over this for the long-term good of Great Britain! I truly believe that if the UK breaks up then each nation will be worse off for it, as we are totally integrated and I think this has served us all well if truth be known. We should get rid of the devolved parliaments and forget about the independence of Scotland, England, Wales or Northern Ireland. And lets not forget the financial implications. Should Scotland achieve independence? 739492727
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Should Scotland achieve independence?   Should Scotland achieve independence? Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 5:48 pm

BGTRAVELLER wrote:

When New Labour granted Scotland its own parliament in the late 1990s, its leaders arrogantly brushed aside the concerns of those who feared that it would let the Scottish National Party into power and clear the way to the break-up of Britain. Proponents of Scottish home rule such as Gordon Brown claimed that their constitutional revolution would somehow ‘strengthen the United Kingdom’ If Scotland stayed as part of Britain, but got its own parliament within the Union to control education, health, transport, then this would supposedly satisfy demands for more autonomy without the UK splitting up. I personally believe that the UK should not be broken up by the independence of any of the nations that make up the union. Scotland and England were enemies a long time ago, but for goodness sake lets get over this for the long-term good of Great Britain! I truly believe that if the UK breaks up then each nation will be worse off for it, as we are totally integrated and I think this has served us all well if truth be known. We should get rid of the devolved parliaments and forget about the independence of Scotland, England, Wales or Northern Ireland. And lets not forget the financial implications. Should Scotland achieve independence? 739492727

Britain is called the United Kingdom for a good reason and to split it up would cause problems in lots of areas. Many people in Cornwall have for a long time wished for independence, but splitting up the UK would do no one any good. I can understand the Scots wanting independence, especially if they have just emerged from the cinema after watching Mel Gibson in Braveheart, but they have to be realistic and work with Westminster to get the things that Scottish people want most out of life.
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: Should Scotland achieve independence?   Should Scotland achieve independence? Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 8:02 pm

What does Scotland gain from England?... millions of pounds in subsidy. What does England get from Scotland? Let them have independence if they want. In a few years, they'll be bailed out by the Germans, just like Portugal and Greece.
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Re: Should Scotland achieve independence?   Should Scotland achieve independence? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 11:53 am

So the Scots are moving more towards independence judging by their support for the SNP. So I take it all the Scots that think they are far too good for the rest of the UK will be quite happy for England to erect a border,introduce visa requirements, an exchange rate with the Scottish pound, and withdraw all UK Military bases from Scotland( and the knock on effect they have on the local economy) ?. Or not? Somehow I can't help thinking the Scots want 'Independence' with all the fringe benefits. Let's give Scotland the full independence they want and treat them as what they would be, a foreign country. Within a few decades they'd be on a par with Albania or Kazaksthan. Should Scotland achieve independence? 2581928987
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Should Scotland achieve independence?   Should Scotland achieve independence? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Well, where should I start? As a proud Scot, I would not vote for independence. Just because the Scots Nats have done so well
in the polls does not mean all Scots agree. However, films like Braveheart and Rob Roy, although good stories, were historically
inaccurate. A lot of Scots do not realise this and have a hatred for the English on this basis!
As has been said in a previous post, Scots are heavily subsidised by the rest of the UK. There are no university fees, and all
prescriptions are free. I don't know how this could possibly continue with independence.
According to recent polls, only one third of Scots actually want independence.
Let them have it and see what happens! :Kilt:
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user
Gimp

PostSubject: Re: Should Scotland achieve independence?   Should Scotland achieve independence? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Nice to hear that from a Scott Scunnered :Clap:All I will add is.... does this mean that Scotland can become it's own country and England can stop forking out money for them? and their ministers can stop voting in English policies??
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Should Scotland achieve independence?   Should Scotland achieve independence? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm not political minded and don't often get involved with politics but don't celebrate too soon in England. Scotland has had many opportunities to declare itself independent but has backed away from the chance time and time again. Salmond might want it, but the majority of Scotland doesn't. Even Scottish newspapers put the number in favour of independence at around 26%. That's after they discovered that the money required for the schemes they want to put in place would make Scotland the most heavily taxed place in Europe. The number of English people wanting Scotland to go it alone however, stands at over 60%. Wonder why that is?

sarah
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Re: Should Scotland achieve independence?   Should Scotland achieve independence? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 7:29 pm

Some very good replies here well done to you all. I can only say I can't really see any real benefits of Scotland becoming independant. I only hope that there is no violence like we've seen in Northern Ireland and that Britain and Scotland can be very good friends if they do become independant. Should Scotland achieve independence? 739492727
Back to top Go down
ABC Property Surveyors.BG
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Should Scotland achieve independence?   Should Scotland achieve independence? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 8:21 pm

No,Who's gonna pay the income support? Go onto Pirate bay and download a BBC Documentary called 'The scheme' I bet the Potlickers (Scottish term) have bigger televisions than any of us on this forum! This is one of the reasons I left the UK............I lived in the south by the way and had a great job!!!
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: Re: Should Scotland achieve independence?   Should Scotland achieve independence? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 9:09 pm

Alex Salmond must be pleased and already he is talking about a Scottish Independent referendum. If they have it I hope they are also told that they fund it themselves and if they get it then they must become self sufficient and not use taxes from the rest of us to support it. I sense an 'oil' debate on the way!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Scotland achieve independence?   Should Scotland achieve independence? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1